1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

should i change my 12 volt battery

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tom & lisa s c, Dec 5, 2018.

1. tom & lisa s c

tom & lisa s c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    12 volt battery replacement

i have a 2012 prius c i purchased new it has 90,000km on it and was wondering if i should pro actively change the 12volt battery .im in canada and it is hard to find this battery my local dealer doesn t even stock it so when it goes i might have to wait to get the car going again .i also could be out of town and in a location where it could be even harder to find fast. i have a load tester that you just push a button and it applies a load i think its 100 amps but not sure . i have heard people having problems with dash lights and engine codes when the 12 v failed .so i wondering what other people experience was with this topic and if any other cheaper battery will work

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If testing shows it is under 12.0 volts, I would. When my 2012 Prius v showed 11.9v I get a new battery.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There probably are a hundred threads on here already about 12 V batteries.

The simple answer to your question is: Yes, since a proper replacement might be hard to come by on short notice.
    Change it at YOUR convenience instead of when fate decides to make you do it.
    6 years is a good run.

A replacement with a different physical size or reduced capacity should be considered ONLY for very short term use.

roadrunner and dubit like this.
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Replace it. 6 years on a lawn mower battery is an excellent life. That is...unless you want to deal with an unscheduled change at the wrong place and time imaginable..

roadrunner likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    canadian tire?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Mine died at 5 1/2 years and just under 100k mi. No error codes/CEL. I replaced it with a LiFePO4 which only weighs about a pound and so far it's working perfectly, but I can't recommend it to everyone because it is untested. I believe 2012 models did not come with a jump point in the fuse box, but if yours does, you can easily jump it with one of those cellphone-sized jump starters from Walmart, etc.. It takes very little current/power to start the computer, which then wakes up the traction battery and the inverter. I keep one in my emergency tool bag, just in case. FYI, your typical Pep Boys or Sears or Yellow Top will not fit the C without modification. The OEM posts are much smaller than those of a typical 12v SLA.

7. tom & lisa s c

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i checked canadian tire no battery for the prius c

bisco likes this.
  8. tom & lisa s c

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    would something that i pluged in the 12volt cigerette lighter transfer enough current to start the traction battery .a dealer battery is 335 plus taxes in canada and is the only battery i can find in the canadian market thanks for the ensight

9. tom & lisa s c

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    what model of that battery did you use

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah me neither. When you checked regarding battery with dealership, did they give you a price? Never mind: answered in post #8.

In post #9 I think you're asking a question of yourself, lol. I've been there...

ztanos likes this.
  11. tom & lisa s c

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    yes $335 seems nuts considering its so small with very low cca

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check with several dealerships if practical. Sometimes they'll have a suggested retail and a lower price. But yeah, when I was looking, about 3.5 years back, the dealership battery (for our 2010 Prius) was $273, which I though was steep. It had jumped, around $50 IIRC, since a year earlier. Keeps climbing I guess.

It's too bad CT has nothing; they do for our 2010...: Maybe try entering your vehicle on a US website, say Pep Boys*, see what they're offering (if any), I know there was a very low priced Bosch for our Prius, around $145 US when on sale.

If you do find something, then search for more local automotive retailers that might be able to get that battery.

* Last time I tried to enter a vehicle on Pep Boys it was a maddening exercise, think their site was maybe half-hooped? Hopefully better now.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nope, zilch at pep boys :(

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing on amazon?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure how that would work, you need a 12v battery for the cigarette lighter to work

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My local dealer sells the OEM for $204 (US). Not sure if they'll ship to Canada.

Batteries. For 2012 Toyota Prius c Hatchback Three HYBRID | Tustin Toyota

The cigarette lighter thing won't work. It is disconnected when engine's off.

Click my name and go see my album titled 12v Lithium. I hooked it up directly in place of the OEM, but had to fabricate connector wires and in-line fuse. My cost for the battery was $160 from Amazon, plus $10 for fuses and wiring.

#16 frenzee, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Whatever you do, you are not "starting the traction battery".
    You are powering the several computers that allow the machine to come on and work.

And no, probably not, because I think the 12 V cigarette lighter style sockets are disconnected when the car is OFF.

As for why the price is so high:
    The battery is a bit unique. Post style, physical size and being an AGM with a vent are all factors.
    ELECTRICALLY there is nothing unique about it though and any AGM battery that will fit in the space comfortably should work......if you have enough electrical savvy to make the terminals work.

If you do NOT have any experience with electricity and batteries.......just pay what the market demands for a "real" OEM replacement and don't worry about the extra $100.

#17 sam spade 2, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Again, phone around. That $335 CDN might be full retail. Many parts departments will also have a "street" price, say $299. Who knows.

19. Issy Car

Issy Car Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I entered my 2015 Prius year etc.. on O'Reilly's Auto Parts and it came up with $184.99 USD (@$246 CAD).
    Battery size is listed as S46B24R, so you can start searching by battery size since you need it to fit into the space under the seat.
    Napa Canada has it listed for about $327 CAD
    PepBoys has $255.99 USD (although their battery size is DS46B24R - not sure if that makes a difference)

Not sure if your 2012 battery is any different from a 2015 though.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's something, Canadian:

If I check on Amazon.ca, this Optima Yellow Top battery is indicated as compatible for 2012 Prius c:

Price is high on amazon. But, if I go to SaskBattery, they have that battery for $255, with free shipping to anywhere in Canada. I used them when I got my Optima, and it came well packed, and they only charge GST, no PST:

OPTIMA 8171-767 YELLOW TOP POST GR#51JIS $254.99 FREE SHIPPING SASKBATTERY.COM

(Try the email link on the above page, to verify fit. They also link a website for checking fit, but it seems broken.)

Personally, I'll probably go with conventional case AGM through Canadian Tire next time, local, and I suspect the Optima's are compromising amp hour to achieve higher Cold Cranking Amps, which isn't that important with Prius. The Optima I got has been good though, for about 3.25 years, knock on wood.

A little perplexing: this is the same Optima as in my 2010 Prius. From my notes on that battery:

Optima Yellow Top:
    Group Size: GR#51JIS: 46B24R
    CCA: 450
    CA: 575
    Length: 9.272 in
    Width: 5.024 in
    Height: 8.885 in
    web page: