1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I change the oil on a car that languished in the dealer lot?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by SusanSmith, Jun 10, 2019.

1. SusanSmith

SusanSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I purchased a 2018 Prius Prime 6 months ago. I now have 4600 miles and received an alerted for the first service visit. In the process of checking to see what was recommended, I discovered that my vehicle had started out spending 8 months sitting on a dealer lot in a different state during which time about 100 miles were put on the car. The vehicle then spent 3 months with the dealer from whom I purchased. So the car is almost 1 1/2 years old despite only officially reaching the time its first service visit.

Two different mechanics seem to think it is fine just to stay on the regular Toyota schedule. It seems to me, that an 18 month old car should have the oil changed whether that time was spent in my driveway or on a dealer lot.

Any opinions?

Arctic_White likes this.
  2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With the Synthetic Oil that comes with the car I'd say you are fine to stick with the recommended schedule.

3. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No.

I would be much more concerned with potentially stale gasoline...

Rob43

PS, Welcome to Prius Chat !!!

#3 Rob43, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The Toyota maintenance schedule has the first oil change at 10,000 miles or 12 months. Given that you put 4600 miles on the car in six months, and if this is indicative of your regular schedule, you would be at 10,000 miles in another six months, which would be 24 months on the oil.

Sitting in an idle car won't wear out the oil or deplete the additives. But, given that you have asked the question in the first place, it seems you are leaning toward changing the oil at 5K. If this will eliminate uncertainty for you, then do it.

If it were my car, I would do the first change at 10,000 miles.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe Toyota's oil change interval is 10k miles or one year. So it should be changed by the schedule.

That said, if you had a long drive, say at least 30 minutes with the engine running, at some point, that should have boiled off any excess water that may have gotten into the oil while it sat, it should be fine until the 10k miles.

6. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The "regular Toyota schedule" is 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Those mechanics should know that...

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    i changed mine at 5,000 miles to get rid of any break in contaminants, then every 10k or one year thereafter. it couldn't hurt

8. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I got mine at 13000 miles and changed the oil. I just do it as a precaution. So I know where I'm starting from.

Honestly, I don't think anything would fall apart if you waited longer, I only do it because I'm anal about those things.

If you have a spare $35 and an hour out of your day, just do it. Otherwise I don't think there is anything wrong with waiting.

Trollbait likes this.
  9. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Delete me.

10. SusanSmith

SusanSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So, just to clarify, the issue is that Toyota starts counting time from the date the car is sold/placed in service. So a car that is ordered and delivered to the owner a week later would be due for an oil change by the time criteria essentially one year after manufacture. My car spent months on a dealer lot with just an occasion test drive, followed by a 200 mile trip to a new dealer and a couple months on that lot. But since Toyota only starts the clock at the time of sale, the recommended maintenance puts the first oil change at almost 2 years after manufacture.

It sounds like I would probably be OK to wait but that it would be reasonable to do it now. So I think I will probably do it in the next couple months whenever it is most convenient. I am not concerned about the tire rotation since I plan to replace the tires before the rain, slush and snow sets in this fall/winter.

Thank you for the opinions. I am relieved that nobody is overly concerned about the age of the car or the oil.

bisco likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota's maintenance schedule is for traditional cars. The engines, and their oil, in hybrids have a much easier life. This is even truer for a plug in hybrid. So going beyond the one year limit in this case shouldn't be an issue.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to commiserate: our 2010 was built in Aug 2009, and we bought it (with about 10~15 kms on the odometer) in November 2010. Didn't notice the build-date at the time, probably for the best.

Just treated it like any other new car, no problems. The Canadian 3rd gen oil change interval is 8K kms or 6 months, just went with that.

One thing: how's the 12 volt battery doing? Ours was dead as a doornail. The did try to mask it, had the car "warming up for us", when we arrived to do a test drive.

13. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't you buy your car new? If so, you have free Toyota Care up to 25K. This include 2 oil changes and 5 tire rotations. Just ask at the service counter to do the oil change and rotation at your 5K service for free. Then do following oil change in 10K interval, so next free one at 15K. If you keep this schedule, then you will have to pay for the oil change at 25K.

14. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Susan, the only way to know the condition of the oil is by doing a lab oil analysis. That's $28 from Blackstone Labs, or elsewhere. It's not worth the money in your case. If you'll feel better about it, have the oil & filter changed. I'd get it done again at 10k and every 10k after that just to make it easy to remember. I'm not strong on the time-based schedule. I've had oil from engines tested that was much more than a year oil, and it tested fine. And, avoid that dealership that sent you the service reminder. That proves that they can't be trusted. They will sell you services your car does not need.

The Canadian schedule is just silly for much of the country. There is no reason that the Vancouver oil change schedule should be different from the Seattle schedule. If the car is in the far north, that's different.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah but I like it. Only problem is it's hard as heck to read the oil on the dipstick, lol.

Just as strange, I'm changing it every 6 months or 5000 miles, and the guy in North Dakota...?