1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Should I consider a Corolla (Auris) Hybrid instead

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by alanclarkeau, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you read French, there's a French (or Belgium?) blog.

Tutoriels et Entretien des Hybrides Toyota/Lexus | Hybrid Life : Forum Automobile Hybride

Here in North America, cars like the Focus are labelled as "Premium Recommended". This means they can run on regular, mid-grade or premium fuel. "Premium required" in North American cars obviously mean premium fuel only.

For example, a few years back, people were wondering why the Camry V6 is rated at 268hp and the ES350 is rated at 272hp (pre-2008 SAE) even though it's the same engine. The 4hp bump was because it was using premium fuel. The ES can run on regular just like its Toyota brother but of course you'll lose power and will realise a slight increase in fuel economy.

A long while back, someone tested a 1G Acura TSX (mid 2000s Honda Accord). In North America, it's rated at 200hp (pre-2008 SAE) with premium fuel required. On premium fuel, it recorded something like 192hp on the dynometer. When it was tested again with regular fuel, hp dropped to 175 (and there was some drop in torque too but I don't remember the figure).

Depending on the price difference between regular and premium, the increase in fuel economy might end up erasing any savings by going with regular (and in that case, you might as well use premium if the out-of-pocket cost is the same).

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *Moved to the Gen 4 forum*

I figured since he was comparing the Gen 4 to a Corolla Hybrid, it's probably better here than the Toyota Hybrids forum.

bisco and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - I wasn't sure at the time - flipped a coin, and it stood on it's edge :rolleyes: .

bisco and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well you should consider this:

- Corolla/Auris and Prius are different size segment, always with different equipments/refinements/price/etc... so your comparison is not btw cars of the same league. Particularly in interior space and perhaps finishings.

- Corolla/Auris hybrids are actually sold with the old gen3 powertrain and Auris 2013 architecture, and are 1-1,5 years ahead of a new model with the exactly same powertrain of actual gen4 and TNGA gen4 chassis (shortened likely). If it's a long term investement, i would wait for the the new Corolla/Auris model (still unknown exact realease date or even spy photos).

- EU Corolla/Auris are already (from 2015) on sale with all the lane assist/safety features that you're asking for. It's quite mysterious why in Australia those are not available, it does'nt make sense. Or some trick is below the story, or very soon they will be available.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unless it's simply market segmentation - could be something as simple as the Australian importer trying to push people up to the Camry if they want those features.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Size of vehicle doesn't matter greatly - it's just me 99% of the time, occasionally one other passenger. And seeing that other passenger is my 86yr old Mum, that excludes an MX-5 or Boxster. I wanted to go to a hatchback - the small sedan I've got now doesn't have flexibility if I want to carry longer or bulkier items. Logically, I should go for something which uses less fuel than now - which is a Diesel Fiesta, averaging 51 US MPG, though I looked at some other options too.

Last time, as well as the time before, I considered a Prius, but got cold feet at the last minute, so a Prius isn't a sudden direction change in thinking. I heard a new Prius was coming out toward the end of last year, so I put the decision on hold.

It's probably, on past purchases, a 3-5 yr investment. The car I've got at the moment, at 4½yrs old is the longest I've kept one for a while. . Because of short ownership terms, I thought that just maybe, the Corolla hybrid could fit the bill, and in 3-4 yrs upgrade to the newer version - and I'd assume that Prius 4 will have had a mid-term upgrade by then too. But if the car ends up being a longer term investment, you're right - it's got to be PRIUS now.

Nearly all the manufacturers/importers here have worked on the philosophy that if you want the "goodies", you also want a big car. And unfortunately package it with useless stuff like sunroofs (in the tropics??!!), wide tyres which ruin the ride etc. We have some very good, VERY LARGE locally made, well priced, well equipped cars (by GM, Ford & Toyota - Chrysler, Nissan and Mitsubishi packed up decades ago), but those factories are all closing down within the next year or so, and it will be all imports. Buyers have gone away from the home-grown big sedans which is why the factories are struggling and headed to SUVs and hatches, but the importers are only just realising that buyers are wanting lane assist, autonomous cruise, blind-spot etc in smaller, more economical cars. VW & Skoda brought in packs recently, and Ford Focus is coming next month, KIA has just put part of a safety package on the Forte. Toyota hasn't noticed yet.

Yesterday my local dealer (and a few other dealers too) advertised that they have a white base model Prius arrived, so I rang about it. Sorry, sir, it's still in the holding yard, but I can get it out for you on Monday. So 10:00 Monday, I've got an appointment to meet the Prius as well as a silver Corolla Hybrid.

Maxwell61 and krmcg like this.
  7. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Exactly, let my job in January for the same reason. Now I am bored.

BTW do the seats fold down?

8. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You mean no more Holdens?

9. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Holden will still exist, but it'll be badge jobs on Opels, Chevrolets, and Daewoos (which are sold as Chevrolets in the US), as I understand. No more Commodore/Caprices, though. (Similarly, no more Ford Falcons.)

10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Falcon will be dead. Holden will continue the name - they stole "Commodore" from Opel in the first place - the name. And the car too, sort-of, though had to beef it up substantially to cope with our outback roads, and since then, every new model has become more and more home-grown. Yes, will be Opels, Vauxhauls?, Chev, Daewoo in future with a badge change. Camry will still be Camry, I believe.

ETP likes this.
  11. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK - time to close this post - I've decided, put a deposit on a 2016 white Prius - for pickup probably Thursday, maybe even Wednesday.

I'll start a fresh post, but here she is (with the Corolla Hybrid beside).:

20160627_134948_resized.jpg

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! I'll close this thread :)

ETP and alanclarkeau like this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it's the redded out taillights, but I prefer our Toyota Corolla iM (previously Scion iM for 2016)

[​IMG]

ETP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.