1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I consider buying this prius

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by twaddle, Jul 8, 2015.

1. twaddle

twaddle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A little over a month ago somebody hit my 04 prius while it was parked and took out the back axle. I've been looking to replace it with the insurance money and found an 06 for 4000 and 146000+ miles on it. The guy told me it has the master warning light (we all know what that means) but the hybrid battery was replaced a few months ago, and it needed a brake job. given how I wasn't given that much for a replacement (about 5700+) and he was willing to haggle on the price. Should I consider taking a look at it, and if so is there anyway I can get the actual status of the hybrid battery checked out without paying a ton of money?

Also open to suggestions on procuring another prius. I like paying cash and not making payments over years on cars.

2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    $4000 for a defective 10 yr old car?
    if the battery was replaced and the light is on again ask yourself whats really wrong with it and how much do you want to invest in it...
    sometimes higher miles and no defects is the way to go..
    as-is its a $1500 (or less) car to gamble on..

I just saw a 2005 on craigs list for $900 that was dead on Monday, the guy got it running and now has it listed for $3400 but I would not trust it..

if the brake booster is bad expect around $1000 to fix it with used parts...I would not touch it for $4000

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you want to know who replaced the battery and how much. then take it to toyota for a complete check out. all the best!(y)

4. twaddle

twaddle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'm going to bypass this one thanks

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ +1

If you still have the 04, I'd use it as a hangar queen and look for another G1, although nearly all 11 year old Priuses are probably going to have significant troubles.

Otherwise....for your money I'm looking for a G2 that does not (yet) have any major flaws.
    4,000 is a pretty light budget for this task, but if you kick over enough rocks you should be able to find something.

6. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Im selling my red G2 for $4500 ....if anyone wants it...ice cold AC still getting 46 mpg and everything works great just scratched up so it could use a paint job