1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I drive my'07 less with mileage over 100k?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by weixulu, Apr 7, 2015.

1. weixulu

weixulu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a graduate student and do not wish to replace my 07 within at least 2-3 years.

Right now a local businessman basically hired me as a limo service to drive his clients to and from Airports. The pay is well, consider the number of jobs I got.

Each job requires a trip ranging from 50-300 miles. I get 3-10 jobs/week in busy seasons and 2-3 in slow seasons.

My concern is that although I've read on this forum and elsewhere that a Prius could last for a longtime, I'm still worried that by doing this job for him, my car could die sooner than I get a real job after my PhD education.

By calculation, I'm expecting to see a 20k increase each year on the odometer, this means that perhaps in 2 years, I'll reach around 150k. This sounds frightening.

Wise people on this forum, please give me some advice, maybe not based on the handful cases of first gen Prius with 200k+ still running. Thanks!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [This is Jimbo's theory, not a fact] The total mileage on taxis is high because they drive them nearly all the time. The battery seems to die when not driven. (or when driven uphill in the heat) I would drive and earn the money, perhaps for your down payment on a new(er) Prius when needed [/End of Jimbo's theory]

3. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ha, I have 2005 with 162 000 as of now, and there is nothing frightening about it. I plan to keep it for another 2-3 years. If something breaks I will fix it. Nothing bad so far, and I'm in Atlanta (heat) which is supposed to be bad for HV battery

In your place I would not worry and would just drive it. Maybe change transmission oil and check/clean battery fan if you have never done it.

- Alex

4. SmilesPerGallon

SmilesPerGallon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It seems that letting the car sit is the worst thing you can do. As long as you keep the car maintained it should last for miles and miles! Drive it, make money, and study hard.

Cheers

Dino33ca likes this.
  5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You do not state in your post or in your avatar where you are from, and this could make all the difference.
    If you are in a CARB state in the US your hybrid system is guaranteed to ten years or 150,000 miles.
    If you are in Europe the same can apply with no millage limitation.

John (Britprius)

6. weixulu

weixulu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in New Jersey. I don't think 150k applies in my case.

Thanks so far for the advice from the previous replies! I

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. weixulu

weixulu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is brand new information for me. Does it matter if I bought this car used (Originally registered in PA, and in NY for a while)?

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No it does not matter. The car must have been bought and kept in the state though, but no doubt Jimbo will fill in the detail.

John (Britprius)

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Without maintenance and repair and upkeep to various degrees no machine lasts forever.

But why do we own vehicles? Conceivably to use them, to make our lives better.

You already have a higher mileage vehicle. And the longer you own it and use it, the higher the mileage is going to go. But that isn't necessarily a predictor of catastrophic failure. You can have a vehicle that fails with less than 80,000 miles on it, you can have a vehicle that goes 200,000 without any major problem.

If it was me? I'd just use the vehicle. I've never really understood the logic behind shelving or using something "less" in an effort to "maybe" preserve it. I would always recommend keeping up with maintenance, oil changes, fluid changes, and tires, suspension and anything that comes up that is immediately needed.

I think as you state, The Prius has the reputation of being a reliable vehicle. I'd just drive it. Use it. That's why we own them right?
    You can't predict the future regardless of the decision in this case. Baby it? You could end up being rear ended someday and having the vehicle totaled.

Any major component failure? If it should happen? It happens. It could of happened yesterday, it could happen today, it might happen tomorrow. You can make decisions about how to deal with any specific situation in this regard only IF and WHEN it does happen. Seems to me that is pretty unpredictable, and not worth sacrificing the primary reason we own a vehicle in the first place. To use them to our benefit and for our enjoyment.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would continue driving this car like normal, they are pretty reliable. As you are making good money from this venture, it's only an added bonus. When the car does break down, you'll have money to fix it.

12. weixulu

weixulu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

This car's original owner was from PA, and moved to NY for a while. I bought this car and registered it in NJ. I don't know what the rule says about this.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    see my earlier post CARB Warranty Ins and Outs...you have a VERY interesting case. PA is CARB but not 150k miles, NJ and NY are full CARB 150k miles. Toyota has not disclosed how such a special case like that would be handled (and I asked ....they would not tell me). The key point is you live in NJ which is 150k miles CARB warranty. PA may not have been CARB in 2007 not sure. We have a recent case in CA where a guy had an AZ Prius, and by going to several dealers, he found one who agreed to cover under CARB warranty. Toyota has internal rules and we really do not know how they interpret them. All Prius in USA are CA-certified, so if you live in a CARB state and you have a CARB certified car, then you qulaify unless Toyota decides your case is disqualified due to purchase in PA. You could ask for a ruling now, but I think I'd wait. But I would use the car until 150k or 10-yrs maybe slow up...

CARB Warranty Ins-and-Outs (and In-Out-Ins) | PriusChat

#13 wjtracy, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  14. weixulu

weixulu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like your philosophical take on this.

Actually, by "driving it less" I mean I only live 5 miles from my office on campus and the commute itself will keep the machine frequently used but not overly used. By taking this job, in half a month I already saw 2,500 miles added to the odometer.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Under the wording that I have seen earlier, PA has been a 'partial-CARB' state, just like my state of WA. We don't get the 10 years / 150k mile bit.

Absent explicit word to the contrary, I must assume that the original sale and registration in PA sinks the 10/150k hybrid system warranty, and would plan any repair budget around that assumption. Though if any relevant repairs happen during that time, this would certainly be a matter worth an inquiry or appeal.

You haven't said how much money you are earning from this job. My long term budget guideline for vehicles (all household cars, not Prius specifically) -- which may not fit your short term financial situation -- is to set aside $0.15-0.20 per mile for future repairs or replacement. This means that for the 2500 job miles you have already driven, you ought to have set aside $375 to $500 for future repairs or for your next car. If the pay does not cover this and fuel, then you are effectively paying your employer.

#15 fuzzy1, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That it does not qualify would be a conservative prudent assumption, but for example, 2006 model year, there is no warranty verbiage about Toyota internal policy to disqualify certain cases, so at least for 2006 MY I feel there is case for appeal which seems to me some 2006 in CARB states are being covered depsite apparent bad genetics/pedigree (I am reminded of the movie Gattaca just watch the other day). Not really sure what the 2007 manual says.

What I always say is somebody's gotta explain to me why a fully CARB certified vehicle in a full CARB state is not covered. For example, I said that to the AZ guy a couple weeks ago, and I was right in that case.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could you find a local job at a supermarket or some such, that would provide you with enough income to get by?

19. weixulu

weixulu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually use 0.5*miles (maintenance and gas) + tolls as my baseline cost and then add my labor cost (this part is my pure income)

20. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Used is not an issue, but PA was not at all a CARB state in 2007. So your car never had a CARB warranty.