1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I even bother with Entune/Nav system?????

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by G Man v5, Jan 19, 2015.

1. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The nav update is essentially an expensive dealer-only operation.

2. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any hacks available? Is it done via USB now?? For a 2012??

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No and yes and yes.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    On January 5th I purchased a small package that gave the dealer the access code to enter to allow them to download the latest map onto my '12 v 3. This update was said to be the new late 2014 update. The list price on the invoice for the "part" was $272. The regular price was $169 IIRC. I negotiated a 10% discount giving me the price of $152. They then charge 1 hour labor as a standard fee for doing the upgrade which involves connection via their computer to the great Toyota server. This was negotiated down to 1/2 hour labor charge. Still the total was over $200.

When the update was done, the date on the map file showed as late 2013. Not 2014 as expected. When the issue was raised with Toyota, they brushed it aside and left it to the dealer to deal with. There is really not much the dealer can do, they don't control the timing and frequency and up-to-date-ness of the map data. (In fairness to my local dealer, they made a satisfactory settlement involving future considerations.)

I find the navigation awkward, the warnings untimely, the routing inferior. The initial purchase price and update pricing is ridiculous when compared to a portable from Garmin or TomTom. Those go for perhaps 25-33% of purchase price and updates are free and frequent. What infuriates me is that they all use one of two map data bases and the portables issue updates at least 4 times more frequently.

I also find the placement of the navigation screen low in the center of the dash to be distracting as it takes your focus so far away from the road ahead. I much prefer the dash mounted portable.

5. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is disappointing that Toyota, as well as other manufacturers choose this gouging method.

I read/heard recently that AUDI has incorporated google maps for its NAV system. THAT would be nice!!

6. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I paid for a map update for my Prius v in November 2014. It cost over $200 and I got an obsolete three year old map installed. I have given up on the Toyota navigation system. I paid for the maps because I wanted to give the Toyota nav system one more chance. It was a mistake.

There a too many really superior alternatives. I just updated an old Garmin nuvi 1350 with free maps from openstreetmaps. I have Here maps, Google and Waze installed on my Android phone. All of these are better than Toyota's horrible nav system.

I'm really impressed with Here maps. You have the ability to downoad maps and use them for turn-by-turn navigation even if you don't have a data connection. Try it.

7. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here I go!1 Thanks for that info....I will try... I still use a NUVI 1350 as it was (at the time) one of the few Garmins that would allow custom routes...

8. seabone

seabone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a newbie - but from what I've read about this - the Toyota entune which originally was offered for free for 36 months - is now free from Toyota all of the time - they decided against a monthly subscription cost - and in my case, with a prius v5 atp & the premium hdd navigation system, the entune updates and navigation updates will be free
    maybe I'm confused about it - but that's what I think. Although surely the satellite radio will have a subscription cost.
    I pick my 2013 v5 atp blizzard pearl with beige interior up on Monday! Excited to join the prius v family!

9. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Navigation....updates? Thanks

Free Navigation updates? Seriously? That is the first I've heard. If so, tell me how!

#29 G Man v5, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  10. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Chill. It ain't gonna happen.
    He has two unrelated things tied together.

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The satellite radio will be free for a while but XM will try to get $6 to $20 a month after that. If you don't take it right away they will often give you discounts to get you back. Some of the lower priced packages are not obvious on their website, you may have to talk to them when the time comes.