1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I get a second key?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Joeltron81, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Joeltron81

Joeltron81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello All,

I am new to this forum (just got my first Prius a few weeks ago). It is going great so far, but it is the first real modern or "high-tech" car I have ever owned. As it turns out, the car did not come with an extra key. I got a low enough price on the car that the dealership could not (or would not) throw in a second key.

I got a quote for a little over $200 to get another key made. What I would like to understand is what happens if I choose not to get an additional key made and I lose my only key? Can a traditional locksmith get another key made for me? How difficult would it be to get this done? Can it be done relatively quickly? Roughly how much should I expect to pay in this scenario?

I know the obvious answer is "go get a second key made, duh." But, I just want to understand what to expect if I try to avoid doing this and do indeed lose my only key.

Thanks,

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's much cheaper to get the second key now, than later, after the only key is lost.

FuelMiser and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Long story short. Get the second key now, don't wait. Spend the $200 or wait and then spend $500 or more.

Not many can re key a Prius once all keys are lost. It involves what is known as seeding and then you still have to have more keys made.

There is a saying, you can pay me now or pay me later. Usually later is more expensive...

FuelMiser likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a gamble - It only takes one unfortunate event to suddenly discover "Maybe I should have got that spare made". I imagine that losing the key somewhere could involve a flat-top truck detour to a dealer, and great inconvenience. Personally, I'd go buy it tomorrow.

$200 sounds reasonable, but I'm in Australia - I've heard of 3+ times that much here (wasn't a TOYOTA). Was that through TOYOTA dealer or a locksmith?

5. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your existing key is more than a mechanical key - there is a chip embedded in the key body that is read by the engine immoblilizer; without that handshake, the car will not start. This is pretty much the industry security standard at this point to reduce theft.

With an existing key, a new key can be added to the vehicle by using one to approve the chip in the other so the car will accept it.

If you lose all the existing keys (in your case, the one key) then a dealer must replace the immoblizer computer and then reprogram new keys. That is complicated and expen$ive. I'd have a replacement made right away so you never wind up in that position.

and then enjoy your Prius!

Bay Stater and alanclarkeau like this.
  6. Joeltron81

Joeltron81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is not through Toyota, but it is through a locksmith that partners with the dealership I got my Prius from. They said they could get it for me at cost. So yeah, it is looking like getting it done is a no brainer :)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. Joeltron81

Joeltron81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the detailed answer!

8. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad it was helpful!

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just a heads up guys, on the Gen III Prius (2010-2015) you can do what is known as a reseed using Techstream Software. You do not have to replace the computer mentioned above.

Toyota can do this and a GOOD locksmith can also do it. There are a few hybrid tech's that also have the capability. Refer to this post for more information.

Lost All Keys to Prius. Help please | PriusChat

10. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always learn interesting things here :)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. Joeltron81

Joeltron81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I am just going to go ahead and get a second key ordered this week ;)

bisco likes this.
  12. even4steven

even4steven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My used 2013 only came with one key, as part of my negotiation, I let the dealer know they had to provide a second key, no push back at all, the car is supposed to come with 2 keys

13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    they used to come with 3 when we had regular keys. it's a step back.