1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I get my windows tinted?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by razzledazzlebee, Feb 28, 2007.

1. justifyd

justifyd New Member

I selected the tint option when I ordered my '07 Prius Touring. It was definitely the right way to go. Looks pretty good against that Barcelona Red Metallic body, too. B)

- Justifyd

2. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Mar 1 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]398439[/snapback]</div>
    What tint % allows for private nose picking sessions? Just wondering....

3. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

I got 35% in WA and noticed pretty quickly other drivers tend to be a little bit ruder to me. It's darker than I wanted, and this after lengthy discussions about how I just wanted to block IR (heat) with as little darkness or visible-light rejection as possible. I guess the shop knew a lot about the subject but still just had a couple dozen tints to choose from on hand.

I'm thinking about going back and changing out the fronts to 45% or 55%, to try and get rid of the whole "privacy" thing. It's really distracting to look over at another driver and realize they would have to struggle to make or acknowledge eye contact. And it's kind of disturbing to realize most drivers won't or can't make that contact given the tint on my windows.

I think the theft-deterrent argument is backwards. The fact I've spent $200-300 to hide something from a thief kind of implies their odds are better I've got something worth hiding as opposed to the car with no tint. I certainly don't see any car-insurance companies rushing to provide a discount for tinting they way they do for an auto alarm.

Cheers,
    bob

4. pkittie

pkittie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just got my windows tinted-holy crap does it make a difference in the interior temperature-it was 90 degrees outside, and my a/c was on the lowest fan setting at 75 degrees.

Previously it would be 85 degrees outside and I would be at the 3rd lowest setting or medium setting at 74 degrees.

5. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had 32 film put on and it's great. Not so dark that it goofs up your night driving. Perfect for daytime. I told the guy I was worried about my skin (cancer), but didn't want "dark" tint. He suggested 32, so did my Dermatologist. From what I learned, all of the tint regardless of opacity have the same UV protection.

Yes. tinting really helps to keep the car cooler in hot climates. I live in the desert where it can get over a 100°. Today it was 105°. My mini truck is next.

FYI. Stick with metallic tints only. Others turn purple, as I'm sure everyone has seen. Yuck.

6. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinan @ Jul 3 2007, 01:58 AM) [snapback]472104[/snapback]</div>
    A previous poster said that metallic tints will interfere with the GPS nav system.
    :unsure: