1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I get rid of my Prius? Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by desertrider2215, May 28, 2009.

1. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the new Prius!

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah, the thrill of throwing a sports car around a twisty mountain curve...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll say it again. Whatever car you've got, keep it for the next few years.

I looked at the Mini for quite a while. In the end, it just didn't cut it compared to the Prius. Zero space, no spare tire on the fun one, BMW service (lots of it), even a bike rack is a specialty item at 4X the normal price. About the only noticeable technology is that you need a factory scantool to assign a switch to whatever accessory it's controlling. The local BMW/Mini dealer has about 80 loaner cars that they provide while cars are being serviced. I don't know how many the local Toyota dealer has - my Prius has never been there in 3 years.

The Prius has real oh-gee-wow technology and practically double the mileage of the Mini. A Prius technology Mini should get 80 mpg, not 30. If you've just got to spend the money, how about a Lexus LS250h?

Things to do with the money you don't spend on churning through 3 cars over 2 years:

Take a ride on the Vomit Comet. Experience real zero-G as the plane flies multiple zero-G arcs in the sky.

Run the Badwater Ultramarathon. It's every July (but this year's is already full - try for next year). A 135 mile footrace from the bottom of Death Valley up to Mt. Whitney Portal. Visit beautiful downtown Mushroom Rock, Furnace Creek, Salt Creek, Devil's Cornfield, Devil's Golf Course, Stovepipe Wells, Keeler and Lone Pine (actually, Lone Pine is the only town in the list...). Spend the money on renting a RV with a big ice bucket to cool off in.

Take a raft trip down the Colorado. Or the Salmon River in Idaho.

Take up paragliding, or sky diving. Get a Dune Buggy.

There are lots of places to spend money you don't need. More car than you need is just flushing it.

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is always easier to spend other people's money.

4. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    seriously theres no reason to compare the 2. ur pretty much choosing between fun/performance and mpg/praticality. theres no way to make a prius as fun-to-drive as a mini. and there's absolutely no way to make a mini as pratical as the prius. u might wanna consider something in between the 2...?

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I bought my Prius I kept my Impreza for fun. I drive the Prius a lot more, but really enjoy the Impreza too. Pick up a used Mini, keep the Prius, and have the best of both. It works for me. :) I also have a nice road bicycle which is more fun than both cars combined, and gets better mileage!

6. lindak

lindak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Look at the Jetta TDI. You'll get mileage in the same general range as a Prius, but the Jetta is a heck of a lot more fun to drive. It's not a mini Cooper, and maintenence isn't all that fun, but it is one nice driving car.

Disclaimer - I'm considering getting rid of my fun little Jetta in favor of a Prius. Wanna swap?

7. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm a tech geek and love the Prius, but I'll be the first to admit that the Prius is not a sports car. If that's what you want, you'll be disappointed.