1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I get Toyota Extra Care Platinum for my 2013 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ChrisP, Mar 17, 2013.

1. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you can kept all receive if you feel better, I did not, they have to proved that I DID NOT

2. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you buy an extended warranty, don't you have to bring in your car for 40, 50, 60k.... mile routine services as specified by the dealer, which can cost a lot of money? Only reason why I'd even consider buying an extended warranty is in case something goes wrong like electrical components (module already was replaced on our 11 Prius), intake manifold (also was replaced on our 11 Prius) or transmission/engine components.

I've never taken my car in for any routine services after 3 year warranty expired on any of my previous cars.

3. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    no you don't need to bring in your car for 40, 50, 60k check up, you can do it yourself or from your favor shop

4. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What if you just don't do any of routine maintenance? Would Toyota still honor extended warranty if something goes wrong with the vehicle?

5. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    txl146!!!

what do you mean that you do not any maitenance???, you have to change oil every 10k and what ever require by maintenance book, but you do not have to take the car to dealer, anything wrong then take to the dealer.

6. 3TE

3TE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought my second Prius last week. During the extended warranty dog and pony show I bluntly stated.

Me: I am not sold on the extended warranty. Show me your cost or offer me a significant discount and I'll consider it.

Dealer : Do you have a wholesale club membership.

Me: yes, Costco & Sam's

Dealer: Great! the cost of the 7 year 125k is not 2,195 but it will be 1,295

Me: sold. (y)

7. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am not talking about air filter, oil change.... but some of useless maintenance that dealer would ask you such as:

Brake fluid change, automatic transmission fluid change, cabin filter change (dealer charges like $80-90), etc....

8. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    txl146

look into your maintenance book, most the things that you can do your own or local shop can do it, transmission will not require to do it until 100k, but we do early anyway for our own good feeling, anything else:)

9. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So answer is dealer will honor the warranty even if you skip on all routine maintenance work provided that you do the work yourself (and receipts of all parts purchased be kept)? How would dealer know if you've performed the work properly?

10. Ariel1000

Ariel1000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi-- where can I find information on the battery warranty?

11. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I told the dealership: What would I need it for? Why is it going to break, If it is going to break, I don't want the car. They backed off.
    It is clearly a bet, you are betting the dealer $1900 that your car WILL break. The house always wins.

12. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    and almost nothing you can tell it will cover

well it doesn't cover "Accessory Drive Belts" "Clutch Friction Disk and Pressure Plate" which is a big plus since Prius doesn't have them

13. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just paid $769.00 for an 8 year 75,000 mile Platinum warranty, 0% deductible. I told the dealer that's all I will pay and after 20 minutes of whining about his losses, he said fine. I only got the 75,000 because I don't put many miles on my car.

14. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I bought the extended warranty for all 3 of my Prius' and 4 Civic Hybrids and have yet to or did not use any of them for repairs. I am thinking I wasted my hard earned money. But you never know. Toyota could goof up on one stray cat and give you a lemon. Not likely but possible. So far the Prius had been the best car every made IMHO.

15. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There was only one car that I bought an extended warranty - 2000 Mercedes ML320. I wanted a Mercedes but knew at the time they were not all that reliable. Kept it for 7 years and 90,000 miles and mechanically the engine/drivetrain was excellent and reliable, but the rest of the car seemed to be falling apart around it after just a few years. So I had the opportunity to use the warranty multiple times and it ended up paying for itself several times over. No other car/make I have owned (Nissan, Acura, Honda, Toyota) have even remotely required an extended warranty and I'm glad I didn't waste my money on them. Sure, there's always the "what if" scenarios, but if you put the cost of the warranty in the bank, it should more than cover anything that might come up outside of regular maintenance.

16. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's a money maker for the dealer and Finance guy gets a cut............... save your money I would never buy this also the paint and interior protection pkg. ot's a big money maker for the dealer--- stop wasting your money!!!