1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I go for a Prime??

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Isaac Zachary, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Colorado, that kind of depends on when you put your winter tires on and where you drive. But basically the law is the same for both.

You see, if a "traction law" gets put into effect on any particular highway or road you need to have that 3/16" (6/32") tread, and your tires must be either all-season or winter tires (although the silly law allows for summer tires if it's an AWD/4WD for some illogical reason), That is, unless you throw tire chains or cables on, then you can go through a "traction law" zone without the required tread depth.

The thing is that some roads are permanently under the "traction law" from September 1 to May 31, even if they're dry. So unless you want to go over them in chains even on dry pavement, you have to have 3/16" tread or better, regardless of tire during those months.

The only months the tread depth doesn't matter are from June to August.

At least that's for Colorado. Tire laws are completely different in every state. Here I can go all year long on studded snows if I wanted to.

Salamander_King likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My first two sets of winter tires were studded. I could not stand the noise. I was so glad when I switched to studless on my Gen3. Never going back to studded unless I have to drive across a frozen lake or river. lol

BTW, I have never owned or used chains for my cars. That must be a mountain thing, for I did not have to have them in ND, MN, OH, MA, and ME.

3. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I kind of look at Colorado road laws as being in what I call one of 5 phases.
    Phase one: Any tire.
    Phase two: Commercial vehicle chain law. (Large vehicles need chains)
    Phase three: Passenger vehicle traction law (must have at least all-seasons and 3/16" tread, if not chains)
    Phase four: Passenger vehicle chain law (all vehicles must have chains even if you have AWD and studded snows on)
    Phase five: Road closed (and hope you're never on that road when it closes!)

I call them phases, but Colorado doesn't.

Chains are sure handy. A FWD car like a Prius or Avalon can usually go places with chains on that AWD/4WD SUV's and Pickup with only winter tires can't. When I had my little FWD 1985 VW Golf I'd actually pull out Subarus and even a Ford Expedition out of snow banks. Chains still aren't magic or anything, roads will still be slippery and hard to get through. But there just isn't hardly anything better than a good set of tire chains for driving in the snow and on the ice.

I really liked the automatic chains we had on the buses I drove when I was a school bus driver. Just flip a switch and chains came down and you could keep going. If only I could figure out how to make a setup like that for the car... o_O

#23 Isaac Zachary, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    GREAT question; in fact one the Miata community continues to disagree over 4 years after the new hard top design was released. To some it’s a matter of opinion, to others it’s almost a perversion of the “purism” of the best selling roadster of all time, and for others of course it’s the extra money.

[​IMG]

My 2012 hard top closed (aka PRHT - “power retractable hard top”)

[​IMG]

With the top open/down. Notice it’s completely flat in the back. Now let’s look at the 4th gen 2017-2021 hard top Miatas, referred to as the “RF” meaning “retractable fastback.” It’s a hot controversy in the Miata community. It’s looks more like a T-top but without the bar in the center. The RF also costs approx $5k more than the simpler soft top & adds about 70lbs. Doesn’t sound like much but consider these cars weigh 2,400 - 2,478 ~ ish pounds. The motor is a 2.0 liter DOHC making 181hp/151ft lbs torque since 2019, but it feels quicker because its so lightweight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That’s the current generation and design of the RF. Some love it, some hate it. To me, it looks a bit odd from the rear. Certain angles I like it, some not so much. But the problem is what you see behind you when the top is “down” or “open”:

[​IMG]

You’ll probably notice one thing: that doesn’t look much like a convertible. Too much car is too high behind you. And this is what it looks like with the top “open / down” etc from the side (same exact car as the interior pic above as I was test driving it that day):

[​IMG]

There you have it. It’s like a giant sunroof? That doesn’t mean I don’t sometimes wish I had it for the added security and less wind exposure on the cooler days of the spring/fall.... but now let’s look at some actual soft top 2017-2021 Miatas also in that same color:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to ME.... that’s a Miata. A true roadster. Not a T top missing the center bar or a giant sunroof. Some of those who bought their Miatas brand new in 1990 despise the RF, and don’t consider it a true Miata. Some love it. It’s a mixed bag.

Oh, and here’s what a soft top looks like with the top up/closed:

[​IMG]

So perhaps you can see how the RF semi-convertible or whatever you want to call it has led to such debate. Personally I loved the PRHT (power retractable hard top) on my silver 2012 Miata, it was perfect. It went ALL the way down, folding nice and flat behind you. You couldn’t see it. Compare that with the photos of the black “RF” with the top “down” and consider a RF Grand Touring loaded with goodies can approach $40k w/ the Brembo brake/BBS wheel option - it has led to some interesting conversations..

In the end I guess anyone interested in these cars can decide for themselves. :)

#24 Storm88000, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  5. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Absolutely... and for me, a geezer from MGA/Austin Healy days who loves roadsters, it's not a roadster unless it's a ragtop!

SL500CLK350.jpg

6. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Right on!!!! Love your choice of vehicles my friend!

I’ve had my 2020 rag top / soft top since August and there’s nothing like having the top alllll the way down on a hot summer night driving on the backroads under the moon and stars....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^ soft top down in my “soul red crystal” MX-5 Miata during one of those lovely nights. Oh, spring can’t come quick enough. I adore that car. It had just been cleaned and briefly detailed; that paint color really grabs the eye. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds (consider the first gen Miata did it in like 10 seconds) and 1/4 mile 14.4 @ 101mph. Not fast but peppy. Plus it’s really made for carving out your path on the road, and with the gearing in the 6MT it can get 40mpg plus highway! :)

#26 Storm88000, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Tideland Prius and pghyndman like this.
  7. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's interesting how prices have gone up since I posted this. Now I can't get a used Prime for less than what I could have gotten a new Prime back then.

Anywho, the Avalon still works just fine. I'll come back in however many years or decades when it finally needs a replacement.

8. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Just wait until Gas in california dips into the Mid 2.xx Prices for your avalon will rise up a bit while the Prius will drop a bit.

Isaac Zachary likes this.