1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I go Toyota dealer for bodywork?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wfz, Apr 30, 2012.

1. wfz

wfz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had an accident that my left doors got some major dents and scratches. Is the bodywork complex enough for Prius that I should use Toyota dealer to be sure that there is no future problem? Or the bodywork is simple enough that any reputable body shop should be good enough.
    Car: Prius 2008.

Thanks for the suggestions,

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Doors are easy. But, if there is pillar, sill, or quarter panel damage, then you really want a place that knows what they are doing, and that is not necessarily a dealer's body shop. Generally, the major issues with body work are welding (failure to disconnect the inverter can fry it) and broken connectors. Use whatever shop your insurance company recommends. If paying out of pocket, then you'll have to ask around.

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I thought some insurance companies recommend "cheap" body shops that may not do the best work. If the OP has a good relationship with a trustworthy dealer then might as well go with the dealer. Just my 2 cents.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my body shop charges extra for major damage on the drivers side of a Prius as they have to pay a gentlemen from the toyota dealership to come and disconnect the HV battery before they begin work and then they have to pay him to come back and reconnect it.

my toyota dealership doesn't offer body work, my body shop is across the street from toyota/lexus and is an expert on their vehicles, I wouldn't trust another body shop.

5. wfz

wfz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for the advice. I will check if Toyota dealer does bodywork first. Any way to find reputable body shot than the ones recommended by the insurance company. I'm concerned that there might be some complex electronic components that non-Toyota guys don't know enough about that may mess up.

6. Mike Mc

Mike Mc '16 Prius 4, '13 Prius 3

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For what it is worth, most of the Toyota dealerships around here have their body work done by 3rd parties. Not sure where you are.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The simple but immensely unhelpful answer is that you should go to the best bodyshop you can find, be it dealership or otherwise.

I would use the internet to try to find reviews of bodyshops in your area. If you are comfortable with the dealership bodyshop? Go for it.

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago, trying to find and evaluate a bodyshop. If you don't already have one you are comfortable with, and/or solid recommendations from friends or family? It can be difficult.

I spent a lot of time trying to find reviews. What I found was that a lot of people would offer "Reviews" of the Bodyshop, but their support or approval of the bodyshop, seemed primarily hinged to how they felt about the adjuster or customer relations contact FROM the bodyshop, and not the actual work that the body shop did.

In the end? I just gathered as much information as possible and picked one that had very few "negative" reviews.

I don't think there is anything potentially wrong, or necessarily right with picking a dealership bodyshop, but I would at least seek out some reviews of whatever bodyshop I was heading towards chosing.