1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I keep going? Almost at 1000km on a tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ultimate4g63, Jun 10, 2008.

1. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Should I keep going? I really want to hit 1000km...

[​IMG]

The last fuel PIP started blinking at me about 16km's ago.

Conversion info: 4.3 l/100km = approx 55 mpg. 938km = approx 582 miles.

Edit: Update on page 2...I did it.:eek:

2. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Is there a gas station downhill from you? You may want to carry a gas can with you!

3. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I live in Toronto, so there are gas stations on every major block. I'd need a pretty steep downhill run to cover 62km! :p

I've already got a jerry can in my trunk...unfortunately it's empty (I could stop to fill it though). Anyone else ever covered this much mileage on the last PIP?

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I usually assume just under a gallon (about 4 liter maybe) at best when the last pip flashes. If you think you can go another 62 klicks on 4 liters go for it. Just don't kill the battery trying to get to a gas station once you run out of gas. There are several horror stories on the board from people who drove their car on battery alone until it went flat. Then it took a trip to the dealer to get their car started again.

5. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm pretty sure I saw this once on Seinfeld. :D

... Brad

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What? You think it's gong to be cheaper in another 60klicks?

I know you'd love to get 1000km out of a tank just for ego, but running out of gas is not a good idea in a Prius (or any car for that matter) for a variety of reasons. Stop and fill up. Look at it this way, it's way cheaper today than tomorrow.

Icarus

Congrats on ~1000km though

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My typical distance on 'flash' is about 60 miles / 96 km. If you have a spare 4 liter gas can in the car, go for it. Just try to do the whole distance in one drive to avoid engine warm-up costs.

Have you driven to fuel exhaustion, yet? My first fuel exhaustion went 208 km.

Bob Wilson

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh boy, not another one.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    omg.... you get that in your 2008? :( My record was 902km but it was done in the hilly west coast.

Theoretically, you should be able to hit 1,000kms. (According to Presto if I remember what he posted correctly) but depends on the finicky nature of the bladder.

10. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you gain any benefits to push to the limit? That's the question you would like to ask.

I normally just fill up when on the last pip after/before it start to blink. IMO, pushing the car to the limit won't gain me any benefits.

11. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks! :thumbup:

That's great to hear! :cool:

Yes, another one.

Hills make a huge difference. So 902km on a tank through the hills is no easy task either!

Well, if my car was totalled tomorrow, I could say I atleast made the most of my last tank of gas. ;)

12. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's only 2400km's old too! :D

13. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Bragging rights ? :)

There should be a very tiny advantage from carrying less weight in fuel around on average.

If there are gas stations every mile on his routes through Toronto, he could maximize his savings by putting the minimum amount of gas in at every station. In Canada at 60+MPG he could get away with 80 cents of gas or so to get to the next station. Perhaps one pulse and you can glide to the next station.

If there was the infrastructure of quick pay and fill stations at every light, we could all do this, hybrid or not.

If we're going this far, let's go further and shed the rest of all that unneeded weight. Chuck all the flotsam and jetsam like spare tire stuff. Go anorexic. Drive naked AFTER "elimination" !! :eek::D;)

Seriously though, I wonder if there's any risk to the ICE or other mechanicals from running out of gas repeatedly. ICE is designed for high number of restarts and shutdowns. Do the injectors keep firing and is there any risk to them ? Or near the end, fuel supply may be erratic (Unless the bladder helps protect from that); perhaps there is risk to the catalytic ?

We KNOW there is risk to the battery from running it down, but I think that's the main thing that has been confirmed and why Toyota makes it seem so dangerous.

14. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well here it is. :cool:

[​IMG]

I had a jerry can with about 3.5 litres of gas ready to go in the trunk. However, I did not run the tank to empty as I wasn't too sure what exactly would happen. My guess is that I would hear/feel the ICE crank and crank, or maybe even see the orange arrows but with no assist and speed dropping.

Either way, I am very happy I was able to do this. I filled up the tank at the next Shell station. Interestingly enough, I was able to put in just a hair over 45 litres without any spillage. Mind you, I don't usually stop after the first click.

For this new tank of gas, I have turned off my display and will be driving the car as if it weren't a hybrid. So I won't be coasting, won't purposely drive in golf-cart mode..basically won't be hypermiling. I'm very interested in seeing what kind of gas mileage I can achieve in a non-caring mindset. I'm hoping it won't dip below 40mpg average.

15. burcs

burcs New Member

1k is pretty sweet, congrats.

good luck driving in a non caring mindset, though. "old habits" die hard.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Big deal, I get 4.3L/100km and better every day commuting to and from work without trying hard at all. it said you were getting 4.3L/100km when you had 900km on the tank.
    Who cares that you risked running out of petrol in the middle of the road. If it was clever to drive around with the low fuel warning flashing I'd be clapping, can you hear that?
    No, no clapping.

17. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congrats on the 1000km tank ..:) Glad to hear you didnt run out..here is my best tank dont know what it would be in km's but I only went about 10-15 miles when last pip started blinking....

Attached Files:

18. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Ok. :rolleyes:

19. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nice! That's about 1031 km!

20. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Let us know how this works out. I am also very interested in what your MPG's will be.....:)