1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I Keep my 2009 or trade in for 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by smartalec89, Mar 29, 2009.

1. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There is no free lunch. If you can sell the 09 for more than you pay for, that means you will be paying a lot more than MSRP for the 10. Do you think you can come up with the extra money?

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the way that would happen is with a nationwide shortage on Prius', gas $5 / gal US, sell in Summer, then drive a junker while waiting for the new car in winter.

3. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    "Stuck with it?" That's like saying you're stuck with Salma Hayek and want to upgrade to Penelope Cruz.

Or look at it this way. What would you do if gas was $8 per gallon and you were selling an Escalade for a new Prius? It's a no brainer because you'd be going from 14 mpg to 48 mpg right off the bat, nearly 250% better economy. But now that you have an '09, what are you going to save? 2 mpg, or about 4%? You'd never take such a depreciation hit just to buy an newer model.

My advice - keep the '09 forever (or at least wait until the plug-in lithium models come out). And stop thinking about Penelope Cruz.

4. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    that's silly. Keep the 2009.

The 2010 is awesome..but personally I would wait till the "bugs" if any are worked out. Not to mention the 2011-2012 models will only be better.

I can't see any reason to get a 2010 if you own a 2009. I would wait.

5. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Car-Trading between model years is an expensive hobby, play only if you can afford it.
    Toyota Dealers will be all loving you though....

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've noticed that locally, 2009 model Prius cars are being discounted. I'll probably look for a 2009, instead of a 2010

7. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep it and buy a 2011 when the bugs are out :)

8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    As much as I enjoy driving and new technology and would love to have a new 2010 all the new toys (lack of sunroof was one of my biggest complaints with earlier Prius), the more rational side of me knows it is foolish to trade a perfect good car which is financed (and almost paid off) for a newer version of the same car. As others have said, it's a very expensive proposition, but you would make lots of friends at Toyota. ;-)

I already have 120K KM on my '06 and she is going strong. I figure I will have this car until at least 300K if not 400K (KM) or more, which will be another 6 years or so, as my job has me on the road a fair amount.

The only I may trade before then is when one of two things happen;

1) Something happens to the car (accidented beyond repaid, stolen, etc...)

2) Family situation changes. I have a young family with one child under 2 right now, and Prius fits our needs great. If we are blessed with one or two more children in the future, then I may need/want to upgrade to something with a little more space.... such as a Sienna Hybrid, if/when that ever comes out.:cool:

But that's likely a few years out, anyway...

Just my opinion, of course...

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then I'd say in your position, keep the Prius and get a Sienna Hybrid (or whatever Toyota decides to offer) in the future!

10. lys

lys AerodynamicMac

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a question:

In my country the warranty for the hybrid system has downgrade to 5 years/100.000 kms. for the 2010 G3.

Given my '08 has a 8 years/160.000 km warranty (always for the hybrid), I can count with security for my HV batt. more time than the first 2010s begin to get out or warranty.

Isn't the same in the U.S.?

Is wise to toss away a longer warranty for the pleasure of a new model?

11. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Which country is this?
    In Slovenia dealers only received info, that new Prius will be hitting their showrooms somewhere in September.

Otherwise, if this is true, it is definitely a set back for Toyota. Even Kia Europe has 5 years / 150.000 km warranty on their cars (extended to 7 years for power train only).

And I think 8 years / 160.000 km warranty is minimum for popularizing hybrids in Europe. Most of the people still think hybrids will break down in a year or two, being relatively new technology.

So definitely going back for Toyota if they are reducing warranty periods, when some of their competitors, albeit non hybrid, are extending them.

Ogo

12. lys

lys AerodynamicMac

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Spain they have just publicy in the official Toyota website:

"...Y puede usted estar seguro de que la batería de alto rendimiento le durará tanto como el vehículo. Está cubierta por una garantía de 5 años ó 100.000 kms."

("... and you can be sure your HV batt. will last so much as the vehicle. It's cover with a 5 years / 100,000 km warranty").

A bit of a joke for my taste, given the former 8 years / 160,000 km warranty. I'd like to know about other E.U. countries.

Any input from the U.S. market?

13. DrOfWaves

DrOfWaves New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you in Anchorage or Fairbanks?? It has never (at least since Alaska was a state) been less than -34F in Anchorage. I'm sure ND has colder temps that Anchorage. Fairbanks, now that's another story....

14. smartalec89

smartalec89 The Official Alaskan

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This might sound funny to you but surprisingly there are more cities than Anchorage and Faibanks in Alaska. I actually live in both though... I attend University of Alaska Fairbanks in the winter and spend my summers in Anchorage working. I do see the -45 in the winter and in the summer I see 85. Yeah, Anchorage never gets too cold.

15. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    keep the 09, move to florida..j/k..too many prii here already

16. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How does the Prius hold up when you hit a Polar Bear? Does your neighbor Santa own a Prius?