1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I keep running e85

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sithlord_master, Apr 14, 2007.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Apr 15 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]423737[/snapback]</div>
    That would rule out E15 as well.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 14 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]423282[/snapback]</div>
    IIRC the Swedish experiment demonstrated short-term success running Prius with up to 25% ethanol in the fuel. By which I mean that the engine did not 'throw codes' up to that level. The long-term effect on polymers in the fuel system apparently has not been addressed. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, this could become a costly experiment if parts replacement were required, because so many are replaced as 'entire assemblies'.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Macomb @ Apr 15 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]423631[/snapback]</div>
    And I don't believe electricity can kill you . . . watch, I'll show you by putting my finger in this socket and AAAAAHHHHHH ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    :p

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [/quote]This in addition with people's arguments about the hidden costs of e85 because the fertilizer is made from fossil fuels, it uses arable land, it depletes the food chain, it is a subsidized product so you pay at tax time, and uses fossil fuels in its production makes me hesitant to continue using e85 though it is readily available in my area. There is only a 17% decrease in cost from gasoline to e85 vs a 25% decrease in mileage so I am paying a premium for my "green" decision to use e85.

What do you guys think?

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Apr 16 2007, 07:24 AM) [snapback]423962[/snapback]</div>
    You're right. It didn't kill you. It just made you scream.

Dave M.

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Apr 27 2007, 05:42 AM) [snapback]431088[/snapback]</div>
    This is actually a reply to Post #44, but the reply button on it seems to be broken. Don't ask me how that's possible.

Anyway, aside from producing jobs and "pork" in general, the only possible advantage of ethanol production from corn is that maybe the "corn lobby" would stop "forcing" the use of high fructose corn syrup in so many of our food items.

Dave M.

7. revel8r

revel8r New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. Here's my plight that applies directly to this thread. And yes, I totally admit guilt or whatever, but want to get past that and back to the matter at hand.

Pulled up to a gas station in DC and saw a separate nozzle for E85. Saw no warning signs next to it then started to fill the tank with E85. About halfway into it, I noticed a green and yellow sticker next to the nozzle saying E85 is for flex fuel cars only... Ugh.

I proceeded to take the car to Williamsburg (about a 200 mi trip). About 7-8 mpg off from the usual fuel efficiency. I got back on the road and about 5 minutes in, the check engine light turns on. So I drive the car for another 5 minutes to a Toyota dealership.

The service guy was grumpy in the first place, and proceeded to be completely gloom and doom about it all. So if I flush the system and replace with fresh regular gas (even detergent fuel), am I still totally toast even though my first use of E85 was limited to about 220 miles?

I guess I'll find out soon enough. And I guess I'm fishing for some glimmer of encouraging news...

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Short answer: you're not toast, just don't make a habit of it. See other thread.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you have a spare vehicle, no problem. If it is your only vehicle, not such a good idea because we don't know the sensitivity of the materials in the car to E85. It is a lot easier to experiment on a car for which you have a backup.

I've done two tanks of E30 and didn't see it really working out that great or bad. The claim is that E20-E30 can provide straight gas performance. I'm seeing close to straight gas with my NHW11, 03 Prius, but not enough to continue the experiment.

One nice thing about our hybrids is we can afford more expensive, straight gas ... because we burn so little of it. <grins>

I remember one posting or comment about E85 throwing the fuel trim off too far and causing a check engine light event. However, the car continued to work OK and they claimed ignoring the "check engine" light was OK. I'm a little more cautious about such claims and would prefer to have any error codes that are not cause by E85 also be detected.

There are claims that ethanol can lead to overheating the catalytic converter and an early failure. However, this remains 'a claim' and not something really backed up by empirical data.

If I might suggest a better approach, try various mixtures in:

• E10
    • E15
    • E20
    • E25
    • E30
    • E35
    The math is a little tricky but I can show you how to do it. The key is to then plot MPG vs E<n> ratio. There may be an optimum ethanol to gas mix. But it also depends upon your driving profile.

Bob Wilson

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It could take months to dissolve the bladder, tubing, pump seals, etc. What fun. They don't grow back.

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The big problem I see is that the terms "E15" and "E85" are confusing.

Yes, I know that the number is the percentage of ethanol in the mix, but it's easy to see how someone could assume the reverse...and pass along the misinformation.

It's somewhat criminal that there isn't a different fuel nozzle for E85, as there is for diesel.

12. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought it was OK to run E85 too. Or was that E15? It is confusing, youre right. I also wont support Bio-Fuels. Food is for eating...

Methane/bio-gas is another story. Its better to burn the methane to CO2. Making a very bad thing just bad.

13. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in the NYC area and the stations around here sell a 10% mix. I know it is seasonal but I have actually forgotten which season!!! Anyway... how much difference does that extra 5% make with respect to the harm it can cause the fuel system. I for one do not like the fact that I can't buy a pure 100% gallon of good 'ol gasoline. Inquiring minds want to know so anyone with information on this please keep this thread alive and tell me what the deal is.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Neither. The max is E10. US gas stations (so far) selling gasoline can only have up to 10% ethanol in the mix.

15. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There's a huge difference. If you ruin a set of tires, you can easily replace them for a reasonable price.

If you ruin the fuel bladder, tank components, fuel pump, fuel lines, seals, injectors, or whatever else, that repair is going to be just a little bit more difficult and expensive.

Bad tires are easy to spot in a used-car pre-purchase inspection; fuel-system damage is not.