1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I replace my own left rear brake caliper?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tianen Chen, May 22, 2018.

1. Tianen Chen

Tianen Chen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Ray Brandt Toyota said my 2013 left rear brake caliper stuck at half-circle. They recommend to replace that caliper, and charged $270 for the caliper and $120 for labor cost.

I think an OEM brake caliper is probably a good idea and from Toyota online it just costs $192:
    A remanufactured non-OEM sold by CARQUEST AUTO PARTS from Ebay costs $150:
    A refurnished (I don't know what that means) non-OEM one made by Centric on Parts Geek costs $72:

Which one should I buy?
    I will take on a one-week trip of 2,700 miles carrying something heavy.

And more importantly: should I replace my own caliper?
    How technically different is between a Prius brake caliper and say, a Camry one?
    I can find some videos about replacing caliper of more common Toyota cars like Camry, but I cannot find one on Prius. I have heard from the mechanic of Ray Brandt Toyota that a special "compressor" is needed when performing the task. What is that? I do not want to screw this up by myself.

My experience: I have never done anything like caliper replacement, but I did watch the process of a non-professional I hired replacing my brake pads (maybe he screwed up and laid the seed of the brake caliper problem?), and it seems not that difficult.

Thank you all very much in advance.

#1 Tianen Chen, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's not really a difficult job, but remember that when you are watching an experienced person do something, a part of the work you don't see is what's going on between that person's ears. The part you can see them doing might look very straightforward, but they might be making a lot of observations and how-to-proceed decisions on the fly that you would need to spend more time on.

If you sign in to Toyota's technical information service (techinfo.toyota.com), you can find there not only the specific repair manual for your car, but also (in the Library section) the study materials for the various different "University of Toyota" technician training courses. They are clear and easy to read, and working through the unit on disk brakes might give you a lot more confidence as to how you'd feel taking on the job.

-Chap

Wolfman33 and Tianen Chen like this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Camry has Friction Brakes, consumable Pads press onto (ideally less consumable) rotors. There are not different modes.

The Prius also has friction brakes, used below 7 MPH and whenever the braking you need exceeds the power of the Motor/Generators, typically highways speeds.

It has Regenerative braking, spinning Motor/generators to make electricity to charge a battery. It is limited both by the HP of the motors and the capacity of the battery to accept energy. If you are gentle with braking, it may be all you use over 7 MPH.

The computers can force engine braking, using the engine as an air pump to convert kinetic energy into heat. This is useful to lower the battery's charging rate and the friction brakes' heat. Both are good ideas, you can force engine braking with B mode, use it from the top of long downhills (over 600 feet vertical)

As you can see, the computers are controlling many separate systems while you press on one pedal. There is a fiendishly complex hydraulic system, not all of which is ever open in normal conditions. Using Toyota's Tech stream software there are ways to force all the brake lines open so you can bleed the brakes. (It is going to take rather a lot of brake fluid)

[​IMG]

If you do decide to work on the brakes, disconnect the 12 battery first, the computers can decide to test the brakes at any point and if the brakes are partly dismantled when the computers test, nothing good can happen.

Tianen Chen and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Tianen Chen

Tianen Chen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Thank you. But the website you recommended is a subscription-based website and charged a hefty price...

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $15. for two days.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I logged on last, if ou paid on a Friday, you got til Sunday night ;).

Maybe even longer on a holiday weekend :).

But $15 doesn’t seem too much for the best information you can get(y).