1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

should I replace my when I do my timing chain?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by peteandbeans, Mar 20, 2023.

1. peteandbeans

peteandbeans New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello I have a Prius 2012 with 205,000 miles on it. I'm planning to do a timing chain repair, this is a problem I caused and plan to fix however I know these cars have a head gasket issue at higher mileages and I was wondering if it was worthwhile for me to just change the original gasket now since I'm pulling the timing cover off anyway. I do plan to keep the car. I haven't lost any coolant at this point and have had no issues as far as I know with it but I have had the car overheat one time because I forgot to plug the water pump back in it was very brief but it did still overheat.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    personally, i would replace the whole engine at this point. it won't be much more work, and you can start over with a low mile gen 3, or even better, gen 4.

but if you choose to keep it, yes, replace the gasket, and do it properly, checking all the surfaces for warp and etc.
    has the egr circuit been done in the last 50k?

SheckyZ and Tbkilb01 like this.
  3. peteandbeans

peteandbeans New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah in hindsight I definitely should have gone with the replacement motor. Learned a lot about engines though. Ended up needing to be the head gasket anyway because I dropped a valve into a cylinder after I decided to do the valve stem seals. Next time though, definitely just swapping. I got intimidated by the idea of an engine hoist and the fear of breaking my windshield but it was not worth the hassle lol

SheckyZ likes this.
  4. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Problem with engine swop is the motor your putting in may well need it's gasket replacing soon anyway, somtimes better the devil you know.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.