1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I replace the head gasket or sell

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bgreen, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Bgreen

Bgreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    newbie here and not very well versed in car knowledge so bear with me.

2010 Prius 189k, no prior engine issues. Last oil change was 3-4k miles ago, less than 2 months ago. Running well, some shaking on startup sometimes.

About a month ago my engine coolant lamp came on, went on and off for a day or two before I decided to do something about it. I did a little research and found the coolant reservoir to be basically empty. I promptly went to the auto parts store, purchased some Zenex 50/50 antifreeze (which I have now been told was the correct stuff), and dumped probably a good 2/3 of the gallon in the reservoir before it was at the full line. I was good for a few weeks, checking the coolant regularly, and indeed saw it depleting suspiciously fast. After continuing refilling it until the rest of the gallon was gone I took it into the dealership crossing my fingers it was just a leak.

They did a pressure check, and found the head gasket leaking, coolant is burning and the engine oil is low. Forgive me if I butcher explaining the next part but basically they said something like most likely the coolant is mixing with oil, leading to issues including stripping the lubricants of the engine, which in turn leads to more coolant being used, thus the rapid coolant depletion. He recommended either head gasket replacement (3k) or an engine replacement (7k- which I’m not going to do).

when he started explaining the head gasket replacement, he seemed confident that should do the trick, provided I am very diligent about checking and refilling the oil as needed after the replacement was complete. He also warned that there was a chance once they got into the repair they might discover more damage that would mean I would either have to replace the engine or cut my losses and forget about it. But he reiterated that other than smelling a bit of burnt coolant upon initial inspection there were no red flags that he saw or sensed that would give support to this, again not diving into the engine, and of course I should remind you I have no idea how easy it would be to be confident about that sort of thing.

I mentioned the engine replacement is off the table for me, I really like this car but not that much. I took it into Carmax before the dealership for an appraisal and was surprised to find out they would give me 3k for it. I mentioned this to the dealership guy and after going through all my options I could sense he honestly thought this was my best option. Naturally he tried to push the engine replacement, especially after explaining how the head gasket replacement might not be enough if the engine is too far gone- and I guess that’s specific question if I had one:

After explaining the timeline of everything, how confident should I be about everything turning out ok (I guess lasting for another few 10k at least if I have to be specific) if I go the head gasket route.

If the used car market wasn’t so inflated/hard to find cheapish decent working cars right now, I’d stop stressing out about potentially going down the rabbit hole of spending thousands upon thousands of dollars and just take what I can get for it and find another car, but it seems right now that that route might be just as volatile as trying to fix her up.

Im leaning towards selling it. But I keep imagining this car going for another 100k+ if I just pull the trigger on the hg replacement and don’t look back.

I appreciate any and all responses/advice, especially in a timely manner. Thank you,

Blake

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I could write a book on this and if I had Toyota's owners mailing list for 2010-2014 Prius vehicles I probably would. The problem is these models have excessive oil consumption which aggravates a bad egr design leading to an epidemic of expensive head gasket fails. But when you own it and compare $3k or even $7k to a new or recent used car costing $25k and up people often fix and pray.

Once it has overheated and given existing oil consumption, the only reasonable solution is a replacement engine. Even that has options that you would have to explore. Is it a "low mile" used engine (with most if not all of the potential failures at any time), is it a rebuilt used engine (much better) or is it a new engine (not likely).

A head gasket job on an oil burner that has overheated probably won't make it out of the shop but they still would have billable labor.

If you can find a recent model you like and can afford and absolutely don't want a replacement engine, go for it. Then sell yours for $3k.

Radiospank likes this.
  3. Bgreen

Bgreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I appreciate your response quick response, I am beginning to reconsider replacing the engine with a new or rebuilt used one. Financially it will just be incredibly tight. I am starting to wonder how much longer I could get by with just continuing adding coolant and oil and just do that till it goes. And then at that point either replace the engine or just get a new car. The dealership guy didn’t seem overly alarmed about it going boom anytime in the very near future, but he said “soon”. But the more I read it sounds like just doing the head gasket replacement is probably the biggest gamble.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The engine could go boom and the potential $3k sale price would evaporate with it. A replacement engine does not make this car trouble free for 100k additional miles but your overall cost of ownership will be half of a recent model during the same period. The most reliable move is a recent model. The best short to medium term financial move is a replacement engine.

You can expect other repairs on a 2010 over the next 50k-100k. HV battery, 12v battery, wheel bearings or brake booster. You get bonus points toward reliability if some of these have already happened.

The shock and awe head gasket fail video:

5. Bgreen

Bgreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very sobering, thank you. Unless I find a gem of used car within the next few days I think I’m going to go with a replacement engine. The dealership said there was basically two options: a yard engine, and an overall engine kit rebuild. He strongly advised against going for the yard engine, obviously pushed the new build. I’ll have to do some research and see if there are any reputable places in the Milwaukee or even Chicago area that can do a used rebuilt engine replacement. I get sucked into dealerships and their swaying probably a little easily, but if I’m going to replace the engine I need to find a way to do it that will balance my wallet and the reliability of the replacement engine- I just cant spend the 7k+ right now. Again, thank you for all the info, very very helpful

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    just sell it with the underlying head gasket issue undisclosed. Just hope the deal is sealed by the time the pc morale police sees your post.

Radiospank and Bgreen like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you do a head gasket repair, or an engine swap, be sure to thoroughly clean the full EGR circuit and intake manifold, or you'll likely have the head gasket failure again, within 10~20K miles. More info on EGR cleaning in my signature.

ASRDogman likes this.
  8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You do realize the dealership costs about twice what an independent shop charges, right? And surely in your area there are many reputable independent Toyota shops who have been in business for two decades or more.

Driving on an engine that’s sucking coolant into the cylinders is very bad and you need to stop that immediately unless you’re going to replace the engine.

If it were my car — and one day it might be — I’d replace the head gasket myself at the first sign of trouble. But it’s a big DIY for an inexperienced mechanic.

Here’s what you need to do:
    1) Stop driving that damn car right now.
    2) Find an indie shop or two and get their quotes. They should quote you for HG replacement and for cost if engine needs replacement. Don’t go into this blind; a reputable outfit won’t sucker you into not knowing what you’ll pay.

So there’s:
    1) Price of HG replacement with cylinder head machined
    2) Price if more work needed and you elect not to do it (you give up on the car)
    3) Price if more work needed and you choose to replace with used or rebuilt engine.

Three quotes. In writing.

Mendel Leisk and burrito like this.