1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I replace the transmission fluid on my 2008 Prius with 250k?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Banksy, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Ianmeister

Ianmeister Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    interesting. I replaced mine at 216k miles. I don’t know if it was the first time but I suspect it was, and mine was BLACK. Absolutely solid black.

dig4dirt likes this.
  2. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    One prius @ 30k and another prius "c" @47k I had super dark almost black. I suppose you could say dark red wine

Still had a reddish tint, but it looks like bansky's might have been changed before

3. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Only the finest red wine for the Prius.

4. Gen2_Accel

Gen2_Accel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This guy nailed- motor winding insulation and failure, so go with the Toyota recommended fluid.

5. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Maxlife LV:$12, walmart

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    From a solution chemistry/solute solvent standpoint, it could possibly be detrimental to change the transmission fluid. If the WS has a maximum saturation point, then you start dissolving more solute into the fresh fluid...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the stuff.

8. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick answer: You will have no problem. Easy job. Everyone is pretty much spot on with advice. The bolts were tight because they haven't been out in 250K miles. Reinstall with a little antiseize and the next guy will thank you. Use just a little because anti seize effects the torque value. I would still torque to 29ft/lbs. Drain it through the drain port. Note that the inverter coolant drain plug is in close proximity. So if you get red coolant instead of transmission fluid you have the wrong plug. Dark with a tinge of red is normal. A few metal particles on the magnet portion of the plug is also normal. Wipe the magnet clean before reinstalling. Use a new crush washer if originally installed and make sure to discard any old washers. Funnel and clear line to fill through the fill port and fill until it overflows. Make sure the car is level before changing the fluid. No clutches or bands in this "transmission" so nothing to worry about when changing fluid. A traditional transmission (non Prius) could sustain failure because the burned fluid and varnish deposits come loose when fresh fluid is introduced (transmission fluid has very strong detergents). So a traditional transmission that was just barely slipping its way through the gears would suffer dire consequences because the little bit of friction surface that remained would be removed by the new fluid and the transmission would then completely slip and fail. We're talking apples and oranges in difference.

9. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Update:

Changed it weeks ago and it's fine

Now changing my HV battery using cells from 2nd life batteries.

Side not that guy is really cool and he obviously really cares about his customers