1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I replace wheel bearings with high mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by oil_burner, Jun 6, 2018.

1. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I bought my 06 prius the previous owner told me the wheel bearings had never been done. Since I just rolled over 260k miles I figured I should do them as preventative maintenance, even though they feel smooth and haven't made noise yet. I have a road trip coming up and wanted some peace of mind.

So a full day of mucking around with bruised knuckles and being pretty sore from pounding the rusted old bearing out of the knuckle, it finally comes out and looks brand new. There is plenty of grease, it is nice and clean/white, the races look new.

This leads me to believe either the PO had them replaced and didn't know about it, or toyota OEM wheel bearings are sprinkled with fairy dust and can last forever. In any case, should I even bother trying to replace the other side as preventative maintenance?

2. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know why you did this.

There's no damage to prevent by replacing a wheel bearing that isn't bad.

Not only is it an unnecessary waste of time and money on a high mileage car, the replacement bearings will never be as good as the originals.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it with few exceptions.

Fluids and filters need to be changed. Otherwise be as least invasive as possible.

James1964 and ITBland like this.