1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I retire my 2007 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Luis Arroyo, Oct 15, 2022.

1. Luis Arroyo

Luis Arroyo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For context, I'm a student here at UC Berkeley in the bay area; I've had my 2007 Prius for about 6 years. In that time frame, I've gone through changing the hybrid battery, a 12v battery (2 months ago), replacing my catalytic converter since it was stolen (aftermarket is now installed, shhh), and a ton of other stuff. As of current the combination meter doesn't turn on and the ABS actuator is faulty per my mechanics. As of more current like today, I went to turn my car on this morning, and it seems like the 12v battery is dead again( I dont know how since its a new battery). I don't know if I should cut my losses and retire the car or take a few thousand from my savings; fix up the whole car (since I can't afford a new car). Its a headache trying to juggle school and crappy car problems. #EDIT: car's current mileage is around 175,000miles

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    God that's low mileage for a '07 well at least you have an '07 can you get it through inspection regularly like it is meaning the cat and stuff in the area you live in been waiting to hear about this so that's cool so that's have to ball game right there The other little fixes to me are pretty minor they can cost you lots of money but that's only because people may not want to try of course now if you can get down to the poor part of town you can find folks who can do swaps for you a little more reasonably If you look hard you can find Gen 2 parts with reasonably low mileage on them like 94,000 miles that are you know the rear bumper cover got ripped off and the insurance company totaled the car just because a lot of times those parts have a long way to go to they hit 300k you know so you can be in good shape for a minute till you can do something else or something else you want to do. Me personally I wouldn't scrap the car just yet You're obviously driving it or something so the brake pedal works you just have the lights on mine were on almost 2 years before the brakes completely failed and when they did it was uneventful nothing happened was slower to stop the normal and then the brake pedal was hard and it was like the Flintstones trying to brake. Then I had to put one of the two brake actuators on that I had and haven't looked back

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can find a better car, i would buy it and sell yours. you will also put in an oem cat for inspection, and they are not available.
    many prius owners in cali are stuck with a boat anchor presently, because of cat theft.

4. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    if you can't DIY or don't have the time, place or skills to repair high mileage cars like the Prius then sell it and replace it with a basic simple car (hard to find nowadays)

Just this week the ABS actuator on my 07 Camry Hybrid went kaput, buzzing sound and the dreaded C1391 code. Part is almost $2000, cheapest I found is $1000 (but availability is ? online) This is a $2.6k job in a dealership, I gambled with a $50 used part from a guy who buy auctioned cars for parts (or repair them) Since I can DIY the gamble can pay off or maybe not.. For now just focus on your studies and forget about what car you drive, once you have a job you can definitely afford a better Bentley or a Jaguar.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    How many hours per week are you currently driving?

Have you measured the voltage at the jump points under the hood, and again at the 12v terminals in the rear?

That 12v should still be under warranty, take it back to the retailer to test/recharge/replace as needed.

Wonder if the combination meter has finally given up the ghost, and is now preventing the vehicle from starting.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.