1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by jackalope, May 2, 2021.

1. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We have had our 2008 since we purchased it new. It has almost 150,000 miles on it and is running fine. We replaced the front bearings, had the 3-way valve replaced under warranty (yes, you can get Toyota to do it for free if CARB state), and replaced the brakes. Other than that we have just done all of the regular maintenance like clockwork.

We are debating:
    1. Keeping it longer since it is working and technology is changing rapidly in the BEV and PHEV fields.
    2. Replacing it with a new Prime since it would be nice to have the option for 0 emission driving. We now live in CT so it will cost more to drive on electric, so no savings except to the Earth.
    3. Replacing it with a used BEV (Bolt, i3, Leaf, etc.).

The easiest path is just keeping our current car, but safety features have come a long ways since 2008 and a near miss accident does motivate. The incentives are also nice. I wonder if the Prime will continue to be as cheap as a regular Prius into the future. I also wonder if the Prime will stick around in its current form too.

I suspect that others here have had the same debates. Getting input from similar folks would be nice! Thanks so much.

2. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think you have gotten the best part of your Prius. I would look for something with newer technology, safety and reliability. There are lots of great choices which depends on your needs. And yes the Primes incentives are a good deal for a good car in my opinion.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    General Rule of Thumb: When the cost of repairs begins to exceed the cost of car payments it's time to move on.
    Sounds like you've not gotten there yet. This doesn't take into consideration things like new features and other improvements in the 13 years you've had the car. Those are subjective and dependent on other things like your financial situation etc.

Priusjames likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with Bluespruce. If you can afford it comfortably, the safety features are really nice to have. And if you get a Gen 4 or Prime, you will give up some storage, but you'll gain a ton in comfort and handling.

5. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! It will probably be a while before the cost of repairs exceeds the cost of replacing, but the safety improvements and creature comforts do draw us. The pandemic has resulted in a lot less driving too, but moving to CT from VT heightens the importance of safety features!

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    “New and improved” can cut both ways, sadly.

Priusjames and jackalope like this.
  7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If safety is a real concern, do it. One preventable injury and the cost becomes a non-factor. The other consideration is the current car market. High resale for your 2008 combined with a possible Prime discount may be reversed in a couple of months.

jackalope likes this.
  8. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What are the drawbacks to the newer generation? We have been quite happy with our gen 2, but it is a bit noisy for longer drives and it is cold in the winter (we have the base with no heated seats). Pre-heating with heated seats would be a big improvement!

I wonder if our winter rims would fit the newer car. We use dedicated rims and snow tires for the winter and will continue that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was ready to jump until i saw the reduced cargo space, but it hasn't deterred too many

jackalope likes this.
  10. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We saw that, but have a bigger car for lugging around a lot of stuff, the few times we do that each year.

Better headlights are another draw. Older eyes combined with the reduced light from the old headlights makes for harder night driving.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a lot to like about prime. no spare tire though

jackalope likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The headlights on my wife's 2017 trim 2 are a big upgrade from the Gen 2 and 3 headlights. But the quad LEDs on my Prime are absolutely amazing!

jackalope likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For me, anyway:

1. Inexorable migration from (semi) easy-to-find buttons, to touch screen menus, sometimes down several levels in a “tree”.

2. reduced storage

3. Less levels with spare, homelink mirror.

4. Frustrating peripheral sensors, that have false alarms, nag messages.

jackalope likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pros:
    • Much improve ride comfort (Suspension upgrade, better weight balance)
    • Much improved handling (suspension geometry, better weight balance, lower centre of gravity, stiffer body due to "laser screw welding" and wider tyres)
    • Definitely quieter (acoustic windshield, acoustic front door glass, more sound insulation that Toyota skimped on in the 2nd Gen, aerodynamic wiper blades)
    • More solid sounding doors (and nicer door material)
    • More comfortable front seats (redesigned seat shape)
    • Nicer drive (quicker steering ratio = less hand-over-hand movement. Also, steering feel has improved imo over the "Logitech game wheel" feel of Gen 2)
    • Just as good visibility as Gen 2 (there's a lot of Gen 2 style and inspiration in the current gen Prius that the designer wanted to bring back because we lost it in the Gen 3) - there's a curved rear window for a wider viewing angle. The lower rear window is taller. The front side windows are noticeably taller
    • Standard active safety tech (PCS, DRCC, LDA w/ Steering Assist, LTA)
    • Standard passive safety tech (10 airbags, improved crash structure, improved crash safety ratings)
    • PHEV-specific features like cabin pre-conditioning (heat or cool) and of course EV driving
    • Insane HV fuel economy (60mpg easily)
    • Awesome LED headlights (low and high beams) - in fact all exterior lights except the reverse lights are LEDs
    • Larger wing mirror glass area (than the Gen 3) for improved visibility
    • Colour HUD is nice but limited in information shown
    • Heated steering wheel (optional)
    • No more rubber bladder in fuel tank!

Cons:
    • Reduced cargo height (due to raised floor)
    • Smaller underfloor cargo storage
    • No spare tyre at any trim level
    • Smaller glovebox (and losing the upper glovebox)
    • Loss of steering wheel controls for climate control
    • 11.6" MFD is nice but feels underutilised
    • Slightly reduced legroom (front/rear) - mostly due to design - the Prius has been "losing" rear legroom with each generation.
    • Potential longevity of the Softex-wrapped steering wheel (some members have had early peeling issues)

15. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks that is a great summary! My wife was most interested in the safety, heated seats, pre-conditioning, better headlights, and a quieter ride. She also has asked if the visibility out of the front is better. She hates the thick A pillars in our Gen 2. The extra range would be nice too. 300 mile range in the winter is a pain at times.

16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They must have come up with a way to make the air bags thinner because the A pillars are thinner so front visibility is improved. But there's still a bit of a blind spot you need to look around sometimes on certain curves or corners.

Tideland Prius and jackalope like this.
  17. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks that is helpful! In our Gen 2, you can hide a lot behind those A pillars, including pedestrians and bicycles!

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think it had more to do with roof strength regulations. When the gen2 was designed, use of high strength, boron steel wasn't mainstream.

Ecoethic and jerrymildred like this.
  19. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Shortly there may not be an option to buy one as shortages are multiplying.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We went from 06Gen2 to RAV4 Hybrid a year ago when our hybrid batt unexpectedly died last winter at about 190k miles. I always thought the summer would kill the batt, but it died in the winter. The 08s and 09s Gen2s have seemed like the most reliable build years ever.

We probably would have gone with Prius v but Toyota stopped selling them in the USA. Today you have RAV4HV and RAV4 Prime and also the Venza Hybrid choices. I like driving with the safety features, Lane Keep etc. My wife does not believe in it - lot's of articles bad mouth the safety features of new cars- but she likes the automatic High Beams.

We get 40 MPG on the RAV4HV which is probably better MPG than Gen2 Prius for the shorter trip (retirement lifestyle) diet we have now. I do not think we have given up any MPG vs. Gen2 due to hybrid improvements since then.. Of course Gen5 Prii may be 60 MPG, so that would be better.