1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I trade for a Scion tc?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Ozark Man, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I am debating trading my 2010 Pri with 87,500 miles for a 2015 Scion TC with 10,500. The main reasons being I have a steering problem at interstate speeds, discussed in another thread, and I want more power and a better sound system. From a couple of answers in the other thread the steering problem of drifting at about 70 MPH seems to be a factory defect in some 2010's that the dealers can't or won't fix. They just want to do a wheel alignment and that doesn't help.
    Anyway back to the Scion, I have a couple of reservations about it. For one I hate to drop from 50 plus MPG down to about 25. Another is, judging by the Carfax, it was either a lease return, or a tradein at a Toyota dealer and was sold to a GM dealer a hundred miles away where they just reduced it 1000 dollars below KBB Nada Value. Why would a Toyota dealer sell it to a GM dealer? I haven't even seen the car because it is about 170 miles away, but if everything looks OK, would I be making a mistake???? I'm not even familiar with Scions exept they are an offshoot of Toyota and they are rebranding it back to Toyota except the TC which is being discontinued altogether. Which brings up another question, the availability of parts in the future for the TC. I would like some oppinions on this, mistake or not???

#1 Ozark Man, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. ShaAnn

ShaAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I owned a Scion TC.....it had electrical problems which cost me a small fortune but after I got the bugs out it was great.....I was again the second owner....nothing showed up on carfax report....buyer beware

Ozark Man likes this.
  3. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    How miles did yours have on it when you got rid of it?

4. ShaAnn

ShaAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It had 26,000 miles on it.

Ozark Man likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How can anyone answer those questions?
    As far as why would a GM dealers sell to a Toyota dealer...you could ask the Toyota dealer. You might not get a straight answer, but I'd bet you get an interesting one.
    But I think asking the dealership why they have a Scion from a GM dealership 100 miles away is a legit question to ask.

As far as everything else?
    We (the online community) know as much or less about this vehicle than you do.

If you believe you would keep the vehicle 10 years or less? Then I really wouldn't worry about the availability of parts.

I suppose my question is how "unsold" are you on your Prius?
    If the love affair is over, then it might be time to move on.
    Sounds like about the only thing you are still enjoying is the gas mileage, which would suggest to me that whether it's this Scion or something else, you will eventually be moving on.

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why don't you invest in a chassis frame stiffener that can probably cure your road wandering concerns. Also, the addition of a rear sway bar ( which should have been standard equipment) will greatly improve stability at higher speeds. Later on in production, Toyota added this chassis member. Your 2010 probably does not have this.
    image.jpeg

7. BigBear2010

BigBear2010 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    More hp but why a scion tc? Do you try new GTI? I bet it's better than the tc every single aspect. If money is a problem now, get the gen 6, they're cheaper a lot than gen 7. Lot of available DIY, easy to mod,......

8. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Depending on how much money you want to spend, you could do a Camry hybrid or accord hybrid used. Both of those probably have good reliability (at least the Camry for sure) and you could prob get 40-45 mpg out of them still. They would probably have the criteria you listed above (though I have not actually tried driving them) and they both have close to 200 hp.

Ozark Man likes this.
  9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Guess it depends.....
    How long to you intend to keep the Scion?
    You have to work out your cost analysis.....gas, insurance, dmv, other.

My main reason for responding is the Scion vs Toyota compared to Saturn vs. GM.
    Parts for Saturn's can be more difficult to locate and some important parts (such as a BCM) can not be purchased new.
    Saturn were dependable cars with low operating cost...perhaps like Scions.

So if the Scion is an inexpensive purchase, one you can consider disposable over "x" mileages/ time, ....yes I'd buy.
    If not....well it depends.

For the next three years I don't think owning a Scion is an issue. Yet year seven, that year could have risk.

P.S. Dealer trade...many reasons...no concern IMO.

Good luck in your decision.

Ozark Man likes this.