1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I try to replace the hybrid battery AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by atp162, Mar 21, 2019.

1. atp162

atp162 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a 2006 Prius whose traction battery failed at 69.900 miles. I replaced it with a Dorman battery that had a 2-yr warranty and it died after 11 months. Got a warranty replacement from NAPA and that battery died after only TEN days. I complained to Dorman and they sent out another 2-yr warrantied battery. Well, that one just died, 2 months after the warranty expired, with only just over 90K on the odometer. The smaller starter battery was also replaced around the same time a couple of years ago.

Toyota has quoted $4875, not including 4.7% tax, to replace it with an OEM battery. And as an aside, the week before this latest battery failure Toyota replaced the drive belt, the water pump and some relay for an outlay of $1675.

Another complicating factor is that I live in the 50th state, i.e. outside of the continental U.S., so hybrid batteries outside of a Toyota dealership are difficult to find and expensive to ship.

Should I throw in the towel and give up putting $$ into a car that is pretty much only worth what Toyota wants for replacing the dead battery with an OEM one?

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How are your DIY abilities? If you enjoy hands-on work, you could realistically repair your own HV battery. You could either replace the failed modules yourself, or just purchase a newer battery from a wreck and swap those modules to your battery case.

Skibob, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've found the quality of work makes a huge difference. I had a battery put in by Prius Kings in NYC, cost me $1300 roughly for the first time. He was nice enough to drive out to me for a discount, and put the battery in. A month later, the hybrid battery died and I had to limp it into Brooklyn for me to pay him $250 to fix his own battery. End cost was $1500+ and the battery died two weeks ago again, meaning I spent $1500 for his battery to last from August/July until now. Not a great deal. The guy who replaced the battery afterward found that he didn't put a lot of bolts back either.

Now that I'm back home (Atlanta), I have a local guy who charges me a few hundred to swap the batteries, and he does a fantastic job with the easiest warranty ever.

If you're in Hawaii, I would consider what TMR said and look into replacing it yourself. I've heard cars there hold their value very well due to quantity/demand ratio. Would the dealership replace it with a 2006 battery? Most Prius batteries seem to die of old age/aging batteries, so putting in such an old battery may not get you lots of life. How much could cars like yours run for private sale?

crazybirdman likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can see how Hawaii would limit your options. I lived on a small Caribbean island for nine years and a Prius would have been a really bad idea there. (salt, no parts, totally alien technology for the island, etc.) I like what @TMR-JWAP suggested if you can get your hands on an intact used battery. My wife's '07 is running great with a total cell transplant from a 2015 battery.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both figures seem excessive, at best. Might be time to shop around for other dealers or hybrid repair shops.

Willing to bet Jessica ( @Hometown Hybrids ) or at Hybrid Car Battery Repair & Replacement | Hometown Hybrids could work out a shipping deal on a new OEM or quality rebuilt battery. Install would be on you (not that hard to DIY, takes a couple of hours), or find a local with such skills.

Not sure what island you're on (profile doesn't mention), but here is a local ( Toyota Prius Hybrid Battery Options - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale ) that appears to have some knowledge. Maybe they could do a HV battery install for you (or swap out a bad module and rebalance), be sure they also clean out the HV battery fan. Does the ferry still run, and could someone take a battery onboard?

If you're sold on the idea of using a new chinese battery (non OEM), be sure that are procured from @2k1Toaster ( NewPriusBatteries ) - don't settle for less.

Did that $4875 include the $1350 core deposit ?

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Only you can decide, but a 13 YO Prius that's eating HV batteries in a State where the Dealerships are eating your wallet...?

7. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's tough to give up on a car after putting $1675 into maintenance and repairs. Especially with a dead hybrid battery, which kills the resale value. If you can afford to get another car, then that's the route I'd choose, especially with your low miles. But that usually means spending more money than just repairing the existing car.

Is the rest of the car is in excellent condition- which is a tall task on a 13 year old car, and do you feel that you can drive this particular Prius for a long time with a new battery? If yes, then I'd look at Chinese new modules from a recommended source, like 2k1Toaster. I wouldn't put a brand new OEM battery in, and I wouldn't go with a used/rebuilt battery either.

tangerino likes this.
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Now that I'm back home (Atlanta), I have a local guy who charges me a few hundred to swap the batteries, and he does a fantastic job with the easiest warranty ever.

David, it sounds to me like you got shanked and are still getting a raw deal. If you want a battery that you don't have to worry about for many years, let me know. I can provide you a much better deal than what you've been experiencing.

10. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Appreciate the help. I've been using my guy for a few years, I actually bought this Prius from him so he recognized the bolts that were missing because he saw the battery before the NY guy touched it.

He only charged me $100 for this last 2nd gen battery. Going to get a $1k 3rd gen battery that will get a 3 year warranty at some point over this summer. I'm not sure how my guy is making money honestly. Thanks for offering though.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All of the Hawaii Toyota dealerships are owned by Servco Pacific so you don't have much choice with respect to dealer service pricing.

If you can't DIY (for example, your recent $1,675 outlay probably could have been done for $200 or less if you installed the parts yourself) then you should get rid of the car and buy another car which is covered under manufacturer warranty.

Skibob likes this.
  12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Contact @2k1Toaster He might know someone in your area that could install his kit. In your situation it’s your best bet for a long term solution.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. hill_yes_92

hill_yes_92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey Davidude! I live near Atlanta and I have a Gen 2. Do you mind sharing the name or number of the battery guy you use just in case mine ever fails me? I've seen a "Stan" on craigslist who does battery swaps for like $400 with a one-year warranty and he comes to you.

14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Going to get a $1k 3rd gen battery that will get a 3 year warranty at some point over this summer. I'm not sure how my guy is making money honestly. Thanks for offering though.

I currently have an ad in the private sales forum...have you seen it?

Gen 3 starts with 2010. Ask him for 2015 or 2016 modules. Those are Gen 3 also. I can build a "Gen 3" module pack for a Gen 2 Prius all day long and make $$$$ all day long at a "K" a pop. Trust me, he's not losing money selling a "Gen 3" model at $1k.
    Ask him for 100% new Toyota wire sensor harness, busbars, fasteners and cables. Not re-used, original with corrosion cleaned off, hairlined cracked crimps wire harness that's a step away from arc over at the ECU connector.
    Ask him to connect techstream to your car and show you everything about your old battery and why it "has problems".
    Ask him to do a health check on your car using techstream. Ask him to discuss with you any codes and freeze frame data.
    Ask him to go on a test drive with you with techstream connected to show you everything about the new battery to prove how good it is.
    Ask him if he'll call to check on you now and then just to make sure everything is going well on your end.
    Ask him to bring an electronic battery tester to give you a health check on your 12v battery.

Ask him how many warranty claims he has had to take care of.
    Ask him if he knows how many died just out of warranty.
    Ask him how many customers he has that have had repeat visits.
    Ask him how many times he's rebuilt the same battery for the same customer.

I've been to Georgia 2 times in the last few weeks replacing these "rebuilt on site" HV batteries. Owners who are sick and tired of having to deal with repeated failures.

I think it's great to meet fellow forum members and help them by providing a quality battery. Even though I provide a 3 year warranty, MY goal is to never hear from them again in regard to the battery. But, I'm amazed and grateful for how many friends I've made on this forum and how many "customers/new friends" stay in contact with me just chatting/texting about Prius stuff and ANY current issues they may be having that I can provide advice about.

The goal is NOT to just have a battery with a warranty. Warranties just make people feel good. The goal is to have a battery that is sooooo damn good that it doesn't matter if it has a warranty. The goal is to have a car that you can get into EVERY....SINGLE....DAY.....and have no fear. Get in it and just drive.....with no fear of (HV battery) failure for many years, because the guy that built your battery knows what he's doing and takes pride in the fact he builds some of the BEST batteries available in the entire country..

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just FYI, we have shipped probably close to 100 packs to Hawaii so far. Most directly to the address in Hawaii, some have friends/families in the lower-48 we ship to and they just add to "care packages" that they send over every month or two anyways. Prices vary wildly between the islands for delivery, but generally $300 to $400 extra. There's also a guy, Red Fox, on the island that imports CEBA kits and does rebuilds at supposedly good quality. So if you wanted some cheaper options for a quick fix, then those exist more locally to you too.

crazybirdman and Skibob like this.
  16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  18. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I sense some anger among the top battery guru’s. Not to judge, you guys put foot to nice person every day here. Honestly I would trust your judgment in any battery thread. I would like you guys to know I appreciate you. Battery problems are one of the top problems in the gen 2 forums. I appreciate your comments.

davecook89t likes this.
  19. atp162

atp162 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you for all your replies and your suggestions for options. Because the remainder of the car is still in good shape, I will probably look into the cost of replacing the defective modules. I live on Oahu, but even here there is not a lot of shops that are certified to do hybrid repairs other than Toyota, and shipping costs to here can be eye-popping. I wish I had to the talent and time to go the DIY route, but unfortunately that's outside of my skill set. Thank you though for all your suggestions and for sharing your experiences.

SFO likes this.
  20. crazybirdman

crazybirdman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I might need your help.