1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I unload this trouble magnet?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by timo27, Oct 28, 2010.

1. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes. Glad to hear there was no collision. The body mass of the moose is right about at head-level for the driver, and they're too tall to easily see the eyeshine, so a lot of people don't even get the chance to see them and slow down.

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My INS also went up after buying a Prius. I do think they are slightly higher to insure do to the expensive hybrid parts/drivetrain that only a Toyota dealer can fix. It causes the Prius to be Totaled alot easer than other cars. I don't know for sure, but when i called my ins and akes about a few new cars i was thinking about buying the Prius was the most to get Ins for.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you can blame your Prius for the collisions, especially with the deer-strike. Unless you choose to drive a ragged out '73 F150, you're not going to drive away from a car-versus-deer incident without considerable damage. On the other hand, I'm reasonably sure (with the data you've provided) that your buggy will be safe to drive.
    Your resale value went into the basement as soon as the police took the second accident report, well...OK. It was already in the basement from the first incident.
    Smart money says drive it for a while....

Good Luck!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a deer hit my daughter's 04, 5K in damage. it seems okay, although a new set of tires only lasted 10,000 miles in the rear right and dealer said it could be due to the accident. she has 75,000 miles and something in the back of my mind tells me to trade it in. wouldn't hurt to get a price, right? might help to make a decision.:)

5. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd just keep it esp if it is done by a certified professional. Overall there should not be any quality issues. It will most likely be a decent financial hit to get out of the car. Plus accidents happen randomly it's not like we plan them.

Someone had bought a used corolla when I got my Prius. They were there before I was and were basically done while I was going through the buying process. I could see them circling it and taking pictures with their phone.

At any rate right as they pulls out of the lot the car got hit. Talk about a bad day.

6. rctech

rctech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with ETC(ss). When it comes down to it, the presence of the Prius did not (IMHO) cause the deer to bolt towards it (like a magnet). Two or more incidents make it look more like bad luck of some sort. Accidents are a fact of life. I've had a few. And honestly, some were due to my not being cautious enough for the conditions involved (e.g. icy offramp in Vail, CO), and some were due to oblivious lunatics who forgot what a stop sign (etc) means.
    You'll probly drive a bit more "paranoid" aware of these incidents. Will it start making you drive like a granny? Probably not. But do you really think a new car will reduce the chance a future accident? Orat least lower your paranoia? It wont lower your deductible. If you go to a reputable or insurance approved mechanic, the repairs are often guaranteed for a long time (if not the life of the car).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

rich

7. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I should have worded the post title a little differerntly I guess--it was a failed attempt at dark humor referencing the fact that I had two accidents, almost exactly a year apart, on (I think I forgot to mention this in the first post) the *same exact block* of roadway. I blame myself for the first accident, no one for the second (although it would be nice to see the deer evolve a 'look left, right, left again' strategy to crossing the street), and the Prius for neither. And yes, when I drive that stretch of road, I may press the 'granny' (aka 'ECO') button. ;)

My main concern was in light of the first (worse) accident, where the initial estimate was about 9K and the final, out-the-door cost was about double that. Partly because it was so soon after the re-design that they didn't have accurate prices for parts and wrote the initial estimate as if it were an '09, and partly because they kept finding more damage as they went along. So my feeling is they would have totaled it out had they known up front what they found out later. Knowing that body shops want work, and insurance adjusters' main mission is to cost the insurance co. as little as possible, I perhaps unreasonably (perhaps not) fear corners may have been cut. With the second collision, it added to my anxiety. So I wanted to see if others had similar experiences and had thoughts to share. I thank all, everyone, who has. (And I'm looking forward to getting the car back, hopefully soon).

Aside--I tell ya, I've never seen so many deer in my life as recently. I live in the city and see more deer than rats. And that's saying something...

Thanks again, all of you.
    Tim

8. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bad day indeed. Reminds me of a scene out of the movie 'Tin Men' where the exact same thing happened. Not always good when life imitates art.

9. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

:eek:
    You guess? Now that's rich.

Several posters (including myself) have mentioned prior, that your post was very misleading...and yet, you changed nothing or added nothing to clarify. Your comment above finally apears in post #27.

It seems to me you purposely tried to bait folks into reading your story, by using an erroneous , if not completely bogus title: "should i ubnload my (Prius) trouble magnet?" What trouble magnet?? You got hit by a deer??!! The Prius attracted (ie magnet) a deer to hit your car?? You seem to imply this in your title? WOW. Just WOW!

Further, your claim that you are seeking "informed" advice is also highly suspect? What "informed" advice, about something as critical as structural damage to your car, do you honestly expect from an internet chat board...from people that have not inspected, let alone seen pictures of the damage to your car? I mean, really? Come on, man.

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any reasonable person reading the OP knows he's not blaming the Prius for the troubles. No need to be so harsh.

OP, it's not worth it to lose money over this just because you've had bad lucks. Have a qualified mechanic look it over for any missed damages (particularly with the suspension/steering) as those body shops aren't very good at detecting damages underneath the body panels and go back to your insurance company to get them fixed. Your insurance company is the loser in your case.

1 person likes this.
  11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    timo, sorry about your bad luck. Accidents always a possibility driving property around.