Should I use up my EV daily for work?

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Sean Shelton, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I agree, that is the best strategy. That being said, there are some special situations that requires more thinking if you want to maximize saving $$$ and still doing good for the environment. ;)

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are obviously not qualified to be a "real" hybrid owner.
    No paranoia.
    No OCD.
    No overwhelming curiosity about insignificant minutiae.
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

3. Sean Shelton

Sean Shelton New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have SCE time of use (TOU) now which about 0.11835 kwh which is saving about $50-60 on what my bill rose to when I first bought the car ans was a tiered rate; I basically made the lost to get the feedback and some user formulas and calculations;

I wish the car had better driving range on EV like 80 to 100 would be nice; Maybe the new 2021-2022 cars will have 100 mile range; There are a lot of EV cars coming out so i’m worried hybrids will not get the stickers in the future too;

4. Chazman62

Chazman62 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Well, SCE ($1500 rebate), CA state ($1000 rebate) and Fed ($4000+ tax credit) did qualify me as a PHEV owner!

5. utsug

utsug Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have almost the same commute as yours. Mine is 100 miles RT and about 3 miles to fwy. In my situation, I try to use up all my EV miles since there is a free LADWP charging station near my work (0.6 miles walk). Going to work is mostly downhill, so out of 50 miles, 45 miles are in EV and 5 miles in HV mode.
    Use plugshare app to find charging station near your work place.

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    In California gasoline and electricity are both expensive, and they cost about the same to run a Prius Prime.

I definitely prefer EV for short trips, as otherwise an engine that doesn't fully warm up will have shorter longevity and more breakdowns in the long run.

The way I would run it in OP's case is that I wouldn't use the charge fully in the first leg of the trip so that I don't idle the engine in the parking structure. Likewise, I would leave about 2% charge when I make it home so that I don't idle the engine in the driveway and garage. This should not only save fuel but reduce emissions and noise.