1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I worry about historical codes for the damper position and servo? Techstrm: b1433 b1441 b1443

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by netsplit, Sep 2, 2023.

1. netsplit

netsplit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trying to fix my A/C I worked out I have a leak in the dash (confirmed with an cheap refrigerant sniffer from Amazon), and checking Techstream I noticed in addition to the current code b1423 (Abnormal refrigerant position sensor) it had historical codes for:

b1433: Air Outlet Damper Position Sensor Circuit

b1433: Air Mix Damper Servomotor Circuit (Passenger Side)

b1443: Air Mix Damper Servomotor Circuit

I had a bad 12v battery recently and I guess that can cause odd codes. I tried clearing them and playing with the climate control I couldn't get the codes to return. How likely are the sensor/servo needing replaced? It looks like a massive job, so I'm not wanting to disassemble the dash more than once.

Attached Files:

• ac.png
      ac.png
      File size:
      110.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I imagine you got those codes because of the dead 12 volt or some communication issue the air conditioner in my Gen 2 seems one of the first things to not communicate well even before the driving part of the cars many ECUs The air conditioner seemingly will always flash fail Tell me that it's not talking to something else so on and so forth It's pretty common it seems. So once you reestablish power everything boots properly and you go looking for those codes again there are probably gone and you find your air conditioner working and moving the air exactly where you tell it to go because it is all in fact working. What is not working is the hole in your evaporator core that is very unfortunate that would become my fall and winter car. Here in North Carolina I would only be out of that car after 11:00 a.m. till 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. for about 4 months during the heat. But other than that should be good to go. I would hate to have to spend the time taking the complete dash out of the car and all that to replace the evaporator core it is unfortunate but people do it and do it in other cars too I've watched people do it. To me it's just easier to change the car that's why I keep a few It's much easier to roll that like that then wheel it into the garage and spend 17 hours plus but I guess if I absolutely had to I might.

netsplit likes this.
  3. netsplit

netsplit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my wife and I each have a Prius and unfortunately the a/c went in both this summer. Last year the hybrid batteries had issues. I'm a Michigan transplant living in Arkansas so I'm very motivated to fix this. It's getting over 90 in September next week.

That's good to know it's probably the battery, it looks like the servo and sensor aren't nearly as buried as the core so worst case I'm covered.

Thanks!