1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should Moderators step in?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Schmika, Feb 14, 2006.

?
  1. Ban posters who are flaming and using profanity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ban those inciting the flaming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Warn those doing above with threat of banning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Keep monitoring because it isn't too bad yet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I think a warning is the first step. If it's ignored, then perhaps more drastic measures. It is FHOP and anything goes. No one is forced to read each and every thread, however if something offends then do speak up... what happens next is not up to you to decide. I was issued a warning when I dropped the F-bomb. I apologized and out of respect for the site, will not do it again. I think that if you find you're taking offense to the majority of the posts here, then perhaps this isn't the place for you. On the whole, I enjoy FHOP.

2. augustson

augustson New Member

Wow...

Personally, I never read the posts from FHOP because I know it's an off-topic forum and I know I'm only interested in Prius stuff. I feel there should be very LITTLE moderator intervention in an off-topic forum. If someone says something you don't like, deal with it, or stop reading that forum. I come to PriusChat for info on the Prius and I think the moderators do a good job of keeping the MAIN forums pretty tidy. They shouldn't have to deal with whining about what someone wrote in an off-topic forum. JUST STOP READING IT. Stop living your life in cruise control looking for solutions from someone else.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jack - I tried to reply to your PM but your PM box is full. Just an FYI.

We're discussing the situation in the moderator forum and I'll let everyone know what we come up with.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Within the next month, month and a half....

Can't wait really... I've got a war-chest built up for it, I'm looking forward to a good month or two of doing nothing but sleeping late, riding around, and checking out all the beaches... :D

5. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

I believe that free speech is free speech, but there should be limits on HOW you express yourself. Argue, disagree, rant, even call people names if you want to, although it just weakens your position...
    I think that profanity, however has no place on a public forum.
    My vote is that you can say anything you want except the "seven words you can't say on TV" (with appologies to George Carlan).

JMHO
    :)

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What shocked me was the uncharacteristically rude behaviour. Previously calm and rational people were provoked into snapping their crayons, and that's never a pretty sight. A warning and a time out would seem appropriate, with an outright lifetime ban for those blowing three chances.

I understand some pretty strong emotions are tied to people's core beliefs, but we should be able to discuss our differences without blowing a fuse. At the same time, and this is for you, Squid, malicious provocation is inexcusable. You have lost my respect.

Fred's House of Pancakes may mean "anything goes" to some, but food fights should be off the menu.

7. Mystery Squid

Fair enough, I've no problems with that. ;)

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can tell you're heartbroken. (Will you still respect me in the morning? Hell, I don't respect you now! :D )

Didn't you voluntarily ban yourself yesterday?

9. Mystery Squid

No, I offered to be banned if that would help matters any.

Although I did feel a little bad about the particular *meltdown* ( :ph34r: ), but no matter what you do or say, you will ALWAYS, tick someone off. Some will simply ignore you, some will go nuts. You get all types...

10. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the problem is that FHOP exists for off-topic discussions among members of PriusChat. In other words, it is somewhere to talk with the people you know from your Prius discussions about other subjects. It should be a useful adjunct to the main board - somewhere to take topics that wander off. Somewhere to get to know each other better.

But I think certain posters seem to be just using it as a handy, very lightly moderated board where they can post endless totally irrelevant topics to try to bait a reaction. I don't believe they're really interested in meaningful communication with PriusChat members in particular - they just want a reaction. They might as well go and do this in alt.politics.liberal or FreeRepublic. I don't see why PriusChat should be providing a venue for this sort of activity, particularly when we can't avoid it (there's no "Ignore threads started by" option).

This isn't about censorship, it's about appropriate behaviour in a shared community. If political arguments are what you want, there are lots of other places you can go to meet like-minded people who also want political arguments. But stop trying to drag unwilling participants into it.

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I tried out the ignore feature this board has.

Unfortunately, now my window is littered with "you have ignored ..., do you want to unignore ..
    Much worse, RESPONSES to the banned person show up just fine, which defeats the utility.

Any chance of fixing this, particularly the second part ? I know that Danny did not write the board software, but I am not familiar with all the features. If a quote from an ignored person in a post could also hide that same post, I'd be happy.

In the meantime squid, I want to encourage you to live up to your offer, and leave.

12. gbrehm

gbrehm New Member

Please. If you don't like the subject or the poster don't read it.
    Please don't say this isn't about censorship because it certainly is.
    We're losing enough freedom in this world as it is.

"""Anything unrelated to the Prius. Come chat. First Amendment is your friend in here."""

Obviously a there is a lot of interest in FHOP, looking at the stats. Someone is reading and participating.

I learned a long time ago there is not much point arguing politics. I stay away from it. It looks like to me some people have taken exception to that Squid fella and see this as a way to boot him. I don't care, but who is next?

C'mon, what part of Anything unrelated to the Prius. Come chat. First Amendment is your friend in here don't you people get?

geez

gb

13. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Would you consider the ability to set your controls to "ignore post by a user", "ignore threads started by a user", or "ignore a forum to be censorship"?

14. gbrehm

gbrehm New Member

Sure, self induced. Just like not opening it, or not reading it!
    I should have the right to choose. That's all I'm asking for.

I put myself to the left (as society has currently defined) of most of the posters I've seen here. I work with a guy that describes himself a "right wing nut". He was describing a Rush Limbaugh show the other day in which they were poking fun at Prius owners. I proudly told him about Prius Chat and how there are actually Bush supporters here and they are tolerated.

I don't play in FHOP. This thread is talking about a freedom which directly affects something I participate in. Probably my last post in FHOP. Do what you want with the squid. Freedom is the victim. It's a shame people can't just ignore him......... I do.

I'm here to learn about the car I love.

gb

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny addressed that. He doesn't know how or/and it isn't possible with the current software used by the site but it will be when he updates.

Until then you must police yourself. Believe it or not you'll still need to do that sometimes even when the new software is up. This isn't someone else's responsibility, it is your own. We try to facilitate a civil forum, but we're not going to institute martial law to do so.

16. Mystery Squid

It's funny, but this issue should have absolutely zero to do with me.

It's what happens when a forum grows so much that, inevitably, there will be personalities that will conflict to a very high degree.

The only thing that happened here, was that my personality, by pure chance, was the precise personality needed to take someone over the edge. Even if I did leave, the same thing would eventually happen again, just the screen names would be different.

I've seen FAR worse on other message boards, we're talking not only personal insults, but actually physically trying to track people down so they can "kick their nice person".

Obviously, not everyone can ignore personalities that irritate them, but I really think most can. You're ALWAYS going to have the "out-layers" to deal with.

I speak from experience, as I'm actually a moderator on a pretty big sportbike message board (can you believe it? :lol: ), plus, I have my own little board. I've seen it all.

17. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Free speech without civility and respect for others degenerates into hatred. An obligation to understand that, and refrain from such conduct should exist, or the right to participate should b be revoked.

As for people who fan hatred and discord for some perverse enjoyment or due to psychological sickness -- I am not their mother, and do not want it around.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not funny at all. How you can honestly think this has nothing to do with you is unbelievable. Blaming the issue on benign random aspects of your personality and 'inevitable' conflicts is irresponsible at best. You have tried your level best, and succeeded, particularly in the last couple of weeks, to either gross us out or piss us off. You seem to have no genuine interest in the inflammatory topics you've posted, but seem to take particular delight in watching the rest of us fight amongst ourselves. You've had your fun and caused enough damage. Good bye and good riddance.

19. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Squid, you'd be upset if there was an issue that didn't involve you.

There's no First Amendment issue here, there are plenty of websites to post on, or start your own make a blog. If the NY Times won't print your stuff you can print it yourself or find someone who will.

20. Mystery Squid

I'm serious, in the end, it doesn't. If it wasn't me, it would have just been someone else down the line, I GUARANTEE it. Look at malorn... :lol:

On the other hand, I absolutely have interest in the inflammatory topics. I'll see both sides of the coin, and argue both sides at times, so what? Not my fault some people start getting all hot and bothered with certain questions that effectively attack their core beliefs. So what?

What don't you like about reading about Nullo's, or strange mating issues with respect to garden slugs? Live a little, expand your horizons, allow yourself to get pissed off, piss off other people, anything, anything other than tedious threads about mashed potatoes that when slopped down onto your dinner plate, remind you of a Prius!