1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should "Pot" Be Legalized?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Feb 7, 2006.

?
  1. Yes, no conditions, should be just like cigarettes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, with conditions (please state them)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, ALL drugs should be legalized and regulated

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not really sure, but leaning towards some degree of legalization

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Not really sure, but leaning towards non-legalization

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    okay. i COULD go there... but i won't.

suffice to say it's happened.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    but.... i'm curious... what? when? i'm just saying that i've met people from all over the U.S. and have never heard of it being spiked in any way. *shrug*

3. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think anyone here is smart enough to calculate the true societal costs, financial and otherwise, of just legalizing all drugs. I think some people (not necessarily here) are stupid enough to THINK they are that smart, though.

It's wrong to fry your brains as an adolescent. You cannot tell me it's right as a society to allow people to smoke cigarettes all the way to CABG, pickle their brains into suicidal depression, kill innocent two year olds driving drunk on their fourth DUI, or cease being productive in society so that they can "blaze." And can anyone (not that anyone has, here, yet) defend meth as a legalizable substance? No? Then how can you legalize pot, if it's addictive and can permanently stunt a person's mind?

Oh, we'll make it illegal for the kids to use it? Only the adults will? Ummm... yah. Sure, youuuu betcha.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

i agree with you except for that one point.

addictive? questionable. under debate.

do you develop tolerance? yes. definitely.

V8Cobrakid: maybe 7 years ago. my hometown. bad consequences. not me. that's all i'll say.

5. jchu

jchu New Member

Actually, read my post #63. Meth is legal as a FDA Schedule II drug for prescription use. Made by Abbott Labs and marketed under the name Desoxyn. With a DEA license a physician actually can prescribe Methamphetamine for things such as ADD, Weight Loss, etc. :blink: :blink:

6. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if there is ONE thing I hate THE MOST... it is an fatuous idiot.

Consider this: Imagine someone who will not drive ANYTHING but an extremely large SUV. This person doesn't need it, but buys it anyways just cause its an SUV. and then this person flames Prius because its not an SUV. oh but a highlander hybrid is an SUV, why doesn't he get that? Because its a "hybrid" and that's connected to Prius so he'll defame that too.

point being: I hate idiots. If there were more idiots due to legalization of drugs... let's just say I wouldn't be one bit happy.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank God, I was starting to worry about you... :p
    That's a good point and something that needs to be considered carefully. My only arguement might be that irresponsible people who are going to do drugs and drive are already out there doing drugs and driving. Responsible adults who want to legally purchase and smoke weed on occasion are probably more likely to do so in a responsible manner. That said, you're right, increasing availability increases the chances that we'll start seeing more problems.

8. Subversive

Subversive New Member

It would seem that you are a hypocrit, then.

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    aka007ii's statement doesn't make him a hypocrite. It's not illegal yet and probably won't be. Even if he'd added the premise 'I would drink alcohol if it were illegal', it still wouldn't make him a hypocrite. Perhaps you just don't like the statement.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't seen much lately, but PCP was a favorite thing to lace weed with a few years ago.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We like to throw around phrases like "Mind altering" and "addictive" and equate those with bad things/drugs and then make a blanket statement that they should be illegal.

Yet many substances that are naturally occuring in our food have those same properties, albeit not to an extreme degree, and companies add substances to our food and drink with those properties. Case in point is caffine. A neuro stimulant (like meth and nicotine) with physically and mentally addictive properties. Ya don't hear much call for making caffine illegal.

What about those endorphins in chocolate?

It's all a matter of degrees and how it's regulated and controlled. I don't know/have the answer to this, but I'm confident that the extreme views on both sides have it wrong. Legalizing "all" drugs would clearly be problematic to society. Banning all drugs (ie alcohol, tobacco, etc) will lead to large scale blackmarket sales of questionable products and do nothing to help society.

Marijuana falls a bit into a gray area...frankly, given a choice, I'd rather marijuana were legal than alcohol, but I sure wouldn't want it as cheap or widely available as tobacco.

12. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

Just thought I'd add my $0.02. The strongest reason, to me, for legalizing at least certain drugs is move them into "the mainstream". Right now, the drug dealers of this country are lobbying AGAINST legalization. If we legalize pot, they lose a major product line. I hate the idea that there is a flow of money to the scum of society like this. It's almost as bad as the flow of money from oil going to fund terrorists in the middle east! As the old saying goes, "money is the root of all evil". The folks getting rich off of elicit drug trafficking scares me as much as what Iranian oil money is currently funding. :unsure:

13. Subversive

Subversive New Member

Desoxyn (meth) was the only thing that really helped with my ADD, and you need a prescription in triplicate to be filled within 72 hours. No side effects, no rush (it's in time release), but you do get boundless energy like after the best sleep ever. It is totally possible to sleep while taking it (well, no so much immediately thereafter I suppose), it's just that when people take it recreationally, their social circumstances make them less inclined to. And with enough meth, it is certainly easy to skip sleep if one chooses to do so (especially when recreational users use larger doses, and snort, freebase, or inject it). And skipping sleep, means skipping REM sleep, and that in turn develops into the various aspects of amphetamine psychosis. Also, it is habit-forming. I really didn't like that about it, so every month or few months I would stop taking it for a week or two. That meant several days of relative lethargy, but not so much that I couldn't work or anything. After almost two years, I decided to stop however. I was so incredibly productive at work, that I got multiple promotions and raises just months apart from each other and put together a few really neat projects which totally beyond the requirements of my job description. But I was spending all of my time on the office, and every once it awhile my temper would flare up, and I figured that it just wasn't that good for my health and I didn't want to burn myself out. I may go back to medicating for ADD at somepoint in the future, but if I do, I will have the desoxyn be at a lower dosage.

14. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think my biggest concern is the social hypocrisy of allowing the use of horribly deadly and addictive drugs like tobacco, and extreme mood-altering drugs like alcohol (responsible for so much family violence and so many car accidents) while prohibiting a relatively innocuous drug like pot. At the same time, a wide range of dangerous and addictive drugs are freely available to the well-to-do by prescription (you can always find a doctor willing to prescribe stimulants and depressants). This sends a message to kids that it's really okay to use drugs as a first response to emotional problems. And that message has much more effect on their behavior than the laws against their own drugs of choice.

I voted for legalization of pot, because I consider it relatively innocuous. But I'd be equally happy with prohibiting tobacco and alcohol instead of legalizing pot. And making it MUCH harder to get the prescription drugs that are so widely used for non-medical purposes.

Keep it consistent, that's what I'd like to see. I think the double standard does more harm than leganization of pot would do.

16. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like you had side effects after all, enough to discontinue use. Amphetamines have MANY known side effects, the user doesn't always notice them (and different effects in different people, of course).

The problem with our drug policy is we've spent incredable amounts of money trying to fight drugs with force and yet they still grow. A large part of the population has used illicit drugs and we have more prisioners than any country in the world, including repressive govt's like China with over a billion people!!. Our prisions are filled with mostly nonviolent drug offenders (Martha Stewart's cellmates).

The government loses credibility saying all drugs are equally bad and destructive, and funds junk research, such as the "MDMA makes holes in the brain" study, later found the scientist was giving them Meth instead. When young people discover they've been misled, they are suspicious of everything, including the real facts.

There is no safe drug, all drugs have side effects and consequences. By saying they all have the same consequences we take the focus off the most damaging ones. We make criminals out of our citizens who otherwise aren't. Why all the effort to fight pot instead of spending our time on Meth, Cocaine, Opiates? Stoners are safer than drunks, often they stay at home (less driving) and they're less aggressive or confrontational.

People have been using drugs for recreation througout history, only recently have we learned to make them more potent and dangerous. Can we counteract centuries of drug use by putting people in jail?

17. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have always been temped to say yes, only because then it would be regulated, and regulation for a very harmful substance had many benifits.

However, then it would become a corporate profit center and I doubt the profits to be gained by regulation would lead to a positive community improvement. i.e. The corporate nature of regulation would make three people rich and millions poor. Plus, if you could go to a vending maching and buy a pack for $3 (or whateve the cost is), there is not a finantial deturant.

So, I have to say no. unfortunatly, when examining the options, the status quo seems to work better than regulation.