1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should the motor & battery always be active when...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bwrx, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Bwrx

Bwrx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ... when the car is moving and the battery isn't fully charged?

Since getting the software recall done I've noticed (not sure if this was happening before the update) that sometimes the following occurs (while depressing the accelerator):

- The gas engine will be running and propelling the car (powering the wheels)
    - The car's display reports that the battery is not being charged (while down 2 or 3 bars)
    - The car's display reports that the battery is not powering the motor
    - The motor is not propelling the car (not powering the wheels)

Maybe a better way to describe it is... The only thing the car's display shows is the engine powering the wheels, no other activity.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and/or if this is normal (before or after the update).

Note: If I depress the accelerator a little or completely let off the accelerator during the above conditions the car starts showing that it is charging the battery via the engine or from the wheels.

Thanks in advance

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've seen my C do that fairly often, for short periods, so I assume it is "normal".
    There likely is some small delay built in for switching propulsion modes to prevent an oscillation.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On my 2010 I seldom see the HV battery current flow arrows completely stop for more than a second or so. Even at steady state highway driving on a flat surface the arrows are constantly flipping back and forth. Some new owners have tried to use this display to get in to EV mode below 46 mph and it is almost impossible to get the current flow arrows to completely stop.
    I have not had the software update yet so will watch for this after the update.