1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should the Prius be Changed to Power Up in Power Mode if it is Turned Off in Power Mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Apr 4, 2010.

?
  1. Yes it should

50 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No it should not

40 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't recall if it kept the ECO light on the dash when I used to drive in ECO and shut the car off. I tend to drive mostly in normal mode now, except will use PWR when on the highway or needing to get up to speed quickly (I know, there's no difference in total power, but you get the faster response with less pedal movement). I do, however, wish there was a way the user could change the "default" mode in a setting somewhere.

2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Driving in all electric (commonly called EV mode, especially prior to the 2010 model) is different than "EV Mode" for the 2010. In the 2010 you actually push a button, a green EV mode light illuminates and the car is forced in electric only. When the computer decides to cancel EV mode due to one of several reasons (too fast, too quick acceleration, battery too low, etc) the EV mode indicator goes off, a popup message shows up saying why. When EV mode is cancelled you drop back to ECO, Normal or Power mode...where you were before.

All this has nothing to do with what the ICE and motors are doing. You can cancel out of EV mode and still be driving with the ICE off. A good example is you can be in EV mode, coasting on a downhill run, and the car speeds up to >25 mph...EV mode is cancelled, but the ICE remains off. When you are in EV mode, the ICE is always off, but the computer can decide at any time to cancel EV whether or not a decision is made to turn on the ICE.

So the 6 modes I described are descriptive of the 6 states that the software can be in.

As for Power mode being retained during a power off. I can live with it either way. It is probably a good idea to go back to normal because a different driver could be a little surprised by the throttle response. But power mode in the Prius is not much different than many car's normal (and only) mode.

3PriusMike