1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should the U.S. government apologize to Maher Arar?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, May 15, 2006.

1. dsunman

dsunman New Member

Complacency has to be exposed, apology given with compensation if due. World is watching.

Rightards are yapping about freedom and spreading 'democracy' around the world, while we resort to tactics that are as dictatorial as of those whom we are supposed to liberate.

When Condi goes on her tours and gets derision and scorn everywhere she lands, it is precisely for complacent undemocratic actions that nobody is ever accountable for.

No wonder Ruskies and Chinese are tougher to deal with, nobody is taking us seriously anymore as our examples are far from what we are supposedly projecting to the world. Instead we became a beacon of hypocrisy, I guess.

This will take decades to fix it. Allies are running away from us like cats from a rabid dog. We are a super power of bullying after-all.

We deserve better and our children too.

:)

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellBoy @ May 15 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]255931[/snapback]</div>
    Neither did you.

...you're welcome. ;)

3. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 15 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]256006[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry goose stepper, I know EXACTLY what it meant. :rolleyes:

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

5. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By all means the US needs to apologize to Mr Arar.

Oh and Jared, Dr Bermann tends not to believe anything published in the NY Times, so I will provide a few additional links here.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/09/...t.ap/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/09/...e.ap/index.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/arar/

And to show this is not just from the Liberal Media here's one more http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,214424,00.html

Oh, and Doc. all I know about LaCrosse is that it's a nice town in Wisconson. :p

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

That's fine. I don't believe anything about "Dr." Bermann. Thanks for the additional links.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes.

I hopes he sues and collects big.

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Bermann is playing coy. Read enough of his bile, and one learns that he KNOWS anyone with an arab sounding name is a terrorist. He is a racist wacko on his good days.

Anyway, I think it best that that he, the shrub, and the rest of our rightards get shipped off to Syria so that we can all be 100% sure they are not terrorists.

Notice how the US admin hides behind it's 'security' excuse to avoid responsibility for it's actions ?

It goes like this: The US blocks trial, and then trumpets the fact that allegations were never proven. How convenient.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Sep 19 2006, 11:31 PM) [snapback]322080[/snapback]</div>
    You continue to cast dispersions and slander. You speak as though you know the entire truth here and the minutia of each and every case - is there anything you are not an expert at?

At least spell my name correctly - and do not put words in my mouth - and do not prejudge me - you have no idea of who i am. and i will stand up for myself - you should not continue to slander and libel me in writing.

I wonder what it is like to hate so much...

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 20 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]322163[/snapback]</div>
    You're barking at your self in the mirror again, doberman.

11. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Of course!! but why just him? How about the hundreds of thousands of family members of innocent Iraqis killed in George's utterly mindless war? How do you apologize to a whole country for destroying it because, ah, well, er, "we thought, see, Saddam was a really bad guy who had these weapons, and, er, well, we did give him a few weeks to cough 'em up before we blew apart the infrastructure of his country..." You can just call me irresponsible.

Bob

12. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 20 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]322287[/snapback]</div>
    Amen, hyo!

And of course the US should appologize! What a hideous and despicable violation of international law and the principals that America used to stand for. I hope we can stop these neocons before they completely destroy America.

13. curse

curse New Member

Seems like we are even 'outsourcing' our torture - and to the Syrians, of all people. At least we can't blame Halliburton for getting the work on another 'no bid' contract.

14. jared2

jared2 New Member

15. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Because, you dense brick, (db B) ) he was not proven guilty. (!!!!!!)

That's what it means to be "innocent until proven guilty."

Don't the meanings of words mean anything to you?

Are you American in any real sense?

"I wonder what it is like to hate so much..." you ask. You have spewed more venom on this forum than any other person I've run across.

And why is it that M.D.s always have to let you know that they are one? I've got a couple of titles myself (Captain, Professor) and never felt the need to bolster my insecurity by appealing to them. If I can't make my point through reason, what do my titles mean? When one talks stupidly who has advanced degrees, it calls his whole education into question. With Berman, I don't envision a Phi Beta Kappa from Harvard Medical School.

16. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Mr. Arar may have a compelling case against the Canadian government (if they allow lawsuits against the government). I'm not sure he has as much of a case against the US, but if I were him, I would certainly attempt to file suit:

Gee, ya think having the government of Canada tell you one of their naturalized citizens is a terrorist is reason to detain someone? And why haven't the people here, familiar with the story, brought up Canada's actions in this case? Or is it somehow politically advantageous to simply rail about American actions without context?

Rotten intelligence is a certainty, which is why I would much rather see detention in Gitmo, sans torture, than rendition for any of these guys. Even though we get assurances from all the countries that torture that they will NOT torture the people we render to them, we know that they do. This case is an example of that, if Mr. Arar's story is correct, and certainly a travesty if he's innocent.

Does anyone know if he can sue Canada? The apology from the minister makes his suit a lock.

17. jared2

jared2 New Member

Maher Arar and his wife and two children are still on the US government's "no fly list" even though he has been found to be completely innocent - "Arar said he is still bristling at the fact that not only was his wife put on the terror watch list, but so were his two young children." Many Canadians are calling for the resignation of the head of the RCMP. The government is considering a compensation package. How many other innocent people are on the No Fly List?

Link: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...0924?hub=Canada

18. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 1 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]326606[/snapback]</div>
    As many people as the Canadians tell us are terrorists. Putting the rendition aside (which I think is a bad policy), and focusing on the "no fly list", it is appropriate to put foreign nationals on the no fly list who are suspected by their governments of having ties to terrorism. There is no intrinsic right for them to fly into, around or out of our country.

19. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 2 2006, 01:01 AM) [snapback]326731[/snapback]</div>

"Putting the rendition aside (which I think is a bad policy)"

Do you think it is bad policy because it would be better to torture innocent people in the US than send them to Syria? At least it would create some badly needed jobs here.

20. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

...it matters not really, "damage" is done...

First off, there is NO such thing as a 100% fool-proof judicial system until they work the kinks out of the mind reading machine...

don't y'all get it yet?

THEY are an omnipotent entity, "justice" is window dressing to keep the masses at bay... It does what it wants when the time comes... In the whole scheme of things, what's an apology? Nothing but a word. Even if he does manage to get a few million out of this, so what, what's done is done...

Any "reward" he gets won't stop the big wheel from turnin'... :ph34r: