1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

should Toyota build this??

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by DaveinOlyWA, Sep 27, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the stats are impressive. anyone heard of these guys? what are they doing with this thing?

should we tell GM? looks to be a great option for the Volt...

http://www.electricmotorsco.com/main/media/?pg=media

40 mpg in a retrofit on a Ford F-150... that would be impressive

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Dave...,

This is a very simple system. The only issue would be the durability of the dry-clutches. Otherwise, should work well. Its neat, that they can run both motors as drive motors, then reconfigure the clutches after accelleration so that the motor closest the engine is used as a generator to recharge the battery at a different shaft speed than the drive shaft. This does not have to happen, but it allows the engine to run at an efficient speed while the vehicle is at low speeds. The clutch closest to the drive shaft then has to handle the most torque, and would be most prone to failure. The design issue is if they are going to be able to realize this in the common transmission diameters without any gearing. I gues that is what the e-compounding is about, but I am under the impression that motors are allot more expensive than gears.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They're talking about a series hybrid. Good idea if you don't mind being 100% dependent on gasoline. Make it a PHEV and you can get a little of your energy from the grid. But I'm extremely skeptical that a vehicle of that size, weight, and power would get 40 mpg. Note that it was a representative of the company that said that they hope or expect to get 40 mpg. They did not say they had any test results.

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    series hybrid, yes expandable PLUS 2 way electron flow is a completely different ball game. besides being able to charge an on board charge storage (EESU of course!!) it can also provide 100 amps of electricity.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    But it's still burning gas! Portable generators, of course, have their uses. But they become obsolete when you can no longer afford to buy the gas.

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    very true, but we also have to be realistic. even if EESU's hit the market tomorrow morning, it will still take years to convert from gas to electric. more likely decades.

the key here is efficiency. the Prius is a great step towards where we need to be, not a solution in any way, just progress and that is what this engine appears to be, progress, nothing more. simply much better than what is available. if it takes inefficient Fords off the street and doubles their performance, i am all for that

current engines are woefully inefficient. gas a ton of energy, but we only manage to take advantage of a few hundred pounds of it.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have mixed feelings. I will drive the most sustainable car I can. But I think we need a clean break. I know a lot of folks feel that slight improvements are moving in the right direction, but I see this in the same light as I see the economist who is happy when unemployment increases at a slower rate than in the previous interval. You've still got more people, not fewer, out of work.

With the number of cars on the road increasing, as the population grows, we're burning more gas every year even as the most efficient cars are getting more efficient.

We need a clean break.

I agree with you that "realistically" this is not going to happen. But as long as we burn more fossil fuel each year than we did the year before (ignoring occasional dips during recessions) then we are moving in the wrong direction, not the right direction, and I do not see a handful of slightly-more-efficient cars as an improvement.

So, to the question of whether Toyota should build a slightly-more-efficient monster pickup truck, I say: No. Toyota (and others) should build wind turbines, solar cells, and electric cars.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    daniel, i agree 100% and if it were up to me, i would tax gas so fricking high that mass transit would no have to be subsidized from all the fares they would be collecting.

i would make a $25,000 solar upgrade look like a bargain compared to a monthly bill from Exxon

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep. We're on the same page!