1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should We Be More Focused on Battling the Cold?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by car compulsive, Mar 30, 2013.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    cool, and with a FIT of over 0.15 pounds, I don't see why the subsidies would need to go any higher. That is much better than the US, although with many subsidies things get cheap here, but in England you seem to get paid to put up solar. Still how much is natural gas to heat homes, I assume its much less than the feed in tarrif even with high taxes.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Erm not so easy to compare. But natural gas is usually much cheaper than electricity to heat our homes. So heating the house is cheaper with gas. Electricity can be used to heat houses outside of large towns or cities and can be on a par with oil (which is almost untaxed compared to petrol or diesel). Electric storage heaters can be an option off the gas grid but they have many shortcomings.

Solar does pay - if you can afford to install it. Ideal if you own an EV too. Because of our climate, a/c is not normally required in houses.

austingreen likes this.
  3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

If one has any equity, buying solar is an investment that gives a return from day 1 (at least around here). If one has a FIT law, it should be even more so. We are pushing one for Maine in this legislature.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good luck on that! The UK fit was so popular they had to pull it back early and reduce the amount! I think it's running at a guaranteed 8%-10% for 25 years. After about 8 years you'd have paid off the installation costs and the remaining is all profit :)

I have a south facing roof and as soon as I can afford it, I'm slapping some solar PV up. The next plan is an EV or PIP (if they ever sell them at a sensible price here) to use my free electricity.