1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should we get a Prius c?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by idave23, Mar 27, 2012.

1. idave23

idave23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well thanks, that's very encouraging. Sounds like our driving experiences were very similar. Although I think I've been a tad luckier where law enforcement's concerned.:D Maybe there's hope for this old lead foot too.;)

2. Juan Arango

Juan Arango Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I got my C4 two months ago, I switched from an Infiniti QX. I do not miss my SUV at all. This C is teaching me to be a better dirver day by day, and my MPG's go up and up. Power & speed ? those are there when you need it. This is a grate car

3. R Scneider

R Scneider Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Biggest learning curve of the C. If you are a lead footer you will have to get use to stop starting from the bottom of a hill. You cringe knowing the gas you are wasting as the eco gauge curve stays in the red and you still don't feel like you are going fast enough IMO.
    Especially after you have learned to achieve 60 MPG and you expect it. All the rest is good.

4. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    if you are single or a couple with no children I would recommend the Prius C. With kids - buy the larger model Prius. Check out the moonglow color. I have this color and love it! I recommend the option TWO. I think it provides the best options for the cost. The adjustable steering wheel and seats are worth the cost. The cruise control is outstanding!

5. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I expect you know you're in the Prissy forum, Prius C, and not the regular Prius foum. That said, I too am used to being a leasdfot as I have owned and raced many cars that qualify as fast in any context. I have no trouble with my C2 in traffic or on the road. Recvently I went to one of my favorite places, the Smokies, and had a good time traversing cherokee to gatlinburg in acceptably 34 minutes. (years ago My friends and I made the trip from cherokee a standard for driving ability if you could make it under 30 minutes. Only mt 356 and Corvette bettered that so getting 34 minutes in the C2 is quite good, especially since I had to pass a couple of RV's which we didn't have to at nite back then. My C2 has improved suspension, brakes and shocks but no engine change whatso ever, From Cherokee to Gatlinburg we got 42 mpg, worse I've ever gotten and 48 mpg over the whole trip which was preety normal. The greathill climb into Asheville on was negotiated at well above the traffic and the great plummet likewise so the C2 makes no excuses even when loaded with everything but the kitchen sink (why do women think they must be prepared for every possible situation).
    Just so you have a comparison my other vehicles
    i'm down to are a McClaren and Nascar truck. Either of which will leave you quicker than you can watch. And I 've owned numerous Vettes and other quick cars any of which on today's tires would easily trip 25 minutes C to G. But none get anywhere near half of Prissy's 48 mpg. With todays traffic restrictions with traffic density thats a good thing and running down Mustangs in the mountains is more fun than Dollywood.
    Do not think the Prius C is not up to normal or even enthusiastic driving in today's traffic. If you want to get spirited driving attend a driving school. The C2 is not out of place there except when the big dogs come out to play. So the only place to leadfoot these days is on a track. And no, you're not going to win ANY drag races. But mpg? its as good as it gets for the price.. Nough said.
    Good luck.

6. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

7. anseong

anseong New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I'm also looking to get a Prius C (although would be open to getting the regular Prius or the V). I'm wondering if I should get the C or look into the other models. I'm mainly looking to get it for good mileage as my drive is roughly 45 kms (not as long as others definitely, but long enough that gas is a problem). I'm also curious to know if I should buy new or used. I'm a new grad in Toronto who recently landed full time work and I was originally thinking getting certified pre-owned since it would be safer (since i know almost nothing about cars) but looking at certified pre-owned, they're still pricey. Or should I looking be looking at 3rd party sales? I appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thank you.

8. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The c and v are both new models, released in the first half of 2012, so at present I'd imagine the used market is still pretty limited as very few people turn over their cars that quickly. The liftback (aka regular Prius) obviously has been around a lot longer, with the current Gen III around since 2010, so there's more scope to find used vehicles.

Aside from that, how many people do you typically drive around? How often do you drive with more passengers?

9. anseong

anseong New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I typically would be driving myself only and with only girlfriend on weekends.

10. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The C has the newest and most comfortable Prius seats to date as long as you don't get the base model, at least I think the 2 and up have the newer seats, I know the 3 and 4 have them. I don't take single super long trips, but I do take a dozen or more trips a day and rack up quite a few hours each day in the car with no issues.

11. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Well you are kind of fitting the c's primary market there.

12. anseong

anseong New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a new grad living at home and no debt (although paying my share of the bills) with a steady job, would you say it's financially okay to finance it?

13. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I'm in Australia, so I'm just not up on the financials of car buying in your part of the world. While some things are the same, we defintely have our own world of taxes, duties, tax concessions and rebates. This said I always believe this is the sort of thing where people really do need to do their own sums and work out what really is best for their individual situation.

14. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

If you are going to get a new car then the C is likely near the top of the list on cheapest to own vehicles. Between cost of fuel, maintenance and repairs nearly all the 'cheap' cars end up costing a lot more. That being said, a used beater will still be cheaper to buy and own, but not as reliable. Make sure you can afford the payments and will be comfortable owning the vehicle for at least the length of the loan, 5 to 6 years (actually I put mine on a 4 year loan due to higher than average expected mileage).

15. Larry Greenwald

Larry Greenwald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another beauty of the C is the small size. Makes it more nimble. 99 per cent of the time, I'm usually the only person in it. I had a Gen II for 8.5 years and the Gen III is bigger now. This is not unusual.

My first new car ever was a 1985 Honda Accord, a three door hatchback, which was roughly the same size as the five door Gen II Prius is now. Over the years the Accord has gotten bigger as Honda changed the focus of that model.

16. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Same thing's happened with the Corolla and Camry.

17. nasimiyu

nasimiyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I regularly get 45 - 48 mpg going 70 - 75 on the highway. I'm averaging 60mpg off-highway. Cut my gas bill in half since I got the C. I wouldn't say I'm extremely lead-footed, but I also don't fuss too much over babying the car, and I honestly don't drive much different than I did before getting my C. I definitely floor it when entering the highway. (The car may feel a bit sluggish when you first test drive it when you accelerate to highway speeds, but it's really not bad, I got used to it)