1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Show Us Your EVSE Installation Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by DavidA, Apr 13, 2018.

1. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For some time, I've been wanting to start a dedicated picture thread that showcases Prius Chat's members' installed EVSE's. Since I was cleaning the area around my JuiceBox unit on a nice spring day, I grabbed my camera.

Mine is a 2017 eMotorWerks JuiceBox 40, the basic model that didn't offer the internet connection option. We had the back porch totally rebuilt last year prior to picking up the new car, and that gave us the opportunity to spec out both new electric and carpentry options for inclusion of the EVSE under the porch, and next to where the Prius Prime is usually parked.

The EVSE lives behind the right removable panel under the porch.
    [​IMG]

The right panel (of three) removed revealing the charge handle and cable, which is stored in the bottom of a cut-off 30 gallon container. The handle is clipped above in the J1772 plug holder which came with the unit. There was no logical way of storing the coiled cord vertical in such a confined space. This seems to work very well so far.
    [​IMG]

A view from inside the cramped space showing the two outlets, the JB40 and the J1772 handle. Both outlet covers are lockable. I also bought a locking bracket for the JB40. The porch panels are easily removed, but hardware security is necessary since the street is only 15 feet away.
    [​IMG]

Outlet covers open. Plug holder at upper right. Two discrete EVSE circuits were installed by the electrician. A 240v 40A for the JB40, which is overkill for the Prime, but was the same price to install as a lower amperage. I might need more power later in the future. The lower box is 120v and 20A - useful if I use the Toyota supplied charging cable, a second car, or for outside power equipment. The outlet boxes are water resistant, but have remained dry. The porch has a roof and the weather proof outlet covers meet code.
    [​IMG]

The basement main panel showing the two EVSE circuit breakers.
    [​IMG]

So now it's your turn. Show us your EVSE installation! Always a pleasure to see how creative others are with their car charging.

#1 DavidA, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine is simple - 50 Amp Breaker - 240 volt
    Then a 240 volt Zencar Level 2 EV Charger.

Attached Files:

3. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My dad designed and built our house. he built in a welder outlet in the garage. i swaped out the dryer plug for a 14-50 and installed my EVSE
    2018-03-06 20.06.00.jpg

4. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ^ Really cool that you had the 14-50 right there where you needed it! I had to pay through the nose to have the extra services brought out, but they were there to do additional electric work at the same visit, so we got a lot done. I did get to take advantage of the 30% 2017 tax credit for the electric work and the EVSE itself, but only up to $350.

@Blue-Adept: I haven't heard of the Zencar. Is it a 16Amp 240v unit?

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine:

[​IMG]

Wife's:

[​IMG]

#5 john1701a, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Andyprius1 likes this.
  6. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just picked this off Amazon.

Zencar Level 2 EV Charger(240V, 16A, 25ft), Portable EVSE Home Electric Vehicle Charging Station Compatible with Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Fiat, Ford Fusion(NEMA 10-30 plug)
    • SAFE CHARGING WITH NEMA 10-30 PLUG: Our product all made with UL approved components which the UL number was E364477. The EV charging stations need no assembly - just plug in to your existing NEMA10-30 receptacle or install a 10-30R socket, plug in and you're done.
    • VERSATILE VEHICLE COMPATABILITY: The plugs are compatible with all major EV automakers and multiple power sources: a dryer, RV-type or regular wall outlet with adapters.
    • 3.86 kW/H FASTER CHARGING SPEEDS: With level 2 charging, most electric vehicles will charge up to 11 miles per hour. Our level 2 EVSE features 240V, 16 Amp charging and up to 3x faster with a 220 volt outlet than t your car's original charge which means you can spend more time heading out for fun and adventure and less time waiting around.
    • MULTIPLE PROTECTION: The EVSE providing lightning-proof, leakage, overvoltage, overheat, IP55 rating waterproof, UL94V-0 rating flame resistance and overcurrent protection for your safety, and features control box with LED charge status indicators
    • PROFESSIONAL AFTER -SALES: Local customer service team to offer life-time hassle-free technical support, and 24-Month warranty. If anything is not to your complete satisfaction, simply reach out to us and we will make it right!

westy72658 likes this.
  7. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We recently completed constructing a garage at our 1890-era Victorian in an urban neighborhood of Boston. It is a corner site, so we were able to create an entrance to the garage, located behind the house, from the side street. We tried to keep the appearance in keeping with the original house, replicating the porch railing as an edge for an exterior deck on top of the garage.

garage-First-Snow-December-2017.jpg

Because of the slope of the site, the floor of the garage is at the same level as the floor of the basement of the house. In effect, the garage is a three-sided concrete foundation, faced with stone veneer, and with the overhead doors on the fourth side.

Here's how we handled the EVSE installation:

garage-full-installation-photo.jpg

garage-EVSE.jpg garage-sub-panel-with-meter.jpg garage-watt-hour-meter.jpg

The entire installation includes a 60-amp sub-panel, natural gas for a Modine "Hot Dawg" ceiling mounted gas heater, water for landscape irrigation, and low-voltage wiring for fire alarm, telephone, and computer network. (The computer network is for a WiFi access point to serve the deck on the roof of the garage.)

garage-utility-panel.jpg

This project was conceived when we bought the house in 2004 but we did not begin the actual project until 2015. It took about a year to navigate the City of Boston's building permit process (and we're not done yet), and about a year and a half to construct. (The garage is a separate "accessory building" because if it were contiguous with the house it would be considered an addition and would violate zoning laws.)

Our timing was not too bad because we were able park our new Prime in the garage approximately four weeks after we acquired the Prime. During that brief interim, we parked the Prime on the street with an extension cord running to the Level-1unit which came with the Prime.

#7 Old Bear, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  8. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just as I thought, these installs and photos are getting very interesting! john1701a, has more info on his EVSE installations at the top sticky thread in this Prime Plug-In Charging forum -- a very informative write up.

Bear, I'm almost speechless. That wall of hardware is amazing! Well done.

Blue, thanks for posting the Zencar specs. Looks like a great lower cost option - and it is portable (assuming one has the correct 240v wall outlet).

9. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for sharing those pictures. Very interesting.

Mine, on the other hand, is exceptionally yawn-inducing! It’s just a Clipper Creek LCS-30P stuck on a wall in the garage. No more exciting than an old-style wall-mounted telephone...

(Dang, every time I say “Clipper Creek,” the phrase that comes to mind first is “Cripple Creek”! I have to stop myself... So far, it’s been a great EVSE though, definitely not worthy of a mistaken moniker like “Cripple...”!)

However, there was one small element of cleverness to it: There’s a lawnmower hutch cut away in the garage, part of the area under the stairwell, that just happens to be on the opposite side of a wall to the laundry room in the kitchen. A few years earlier we’d switched from an electric to a gas dryer, so the 220V outlet there was no longer in use. Sooo, we had an electrician reroute it to the opposite side of that wall pointing into the lawnmower hutch in the garage, changing it from a NEMA 10-30 to a NEMA L6-30.

Well, there is one more, even-smaller piece of cleverness to it: I was originally planning to get a ChargePoint-brand EVSE, but as with a couple others, ChargePoint made a hindsight-obvious mistake in its design: They made it a 30A design, so that it’ll match the usual 30A, 220V(240V) circuit for dryers. Seems perfect, right? However, at least here in Austin (TX), we’re legally required to keep a 20% margin on the devices we plug into such outlets, meaning that it has to be 24A, not 30A! The Clipper Creek unit is exactly that.

When we wire in solar though, that’s when things will get interesting! Truthfully though, that won’t be until we upgrade our house a bit. We currently live in the first and only house I’ve ever bought, which is a little cramped (1300sq.ft., even without kids). I’m saving/investing up some money to buy a better house with little or no mortgage. At age 57, life is all about saving up money rather than going into debt! This house’s roof is also oriented totally wrong for solar panels.

#9 mr88cet, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I looked up the Zencar EVSE that @Blue-Adept found. WOW! Looks exactly like my Duosaida, which works fine, by the way.

My installation is pretty basic except that my breaker panel was full. The breaker for the water heater was actually too big. So I used that to feed a sub panel that has a 30A beaker for the water heater and a 30A for the charger outlet. Rather than the standard wiring for a dryer outlet, I connected the center pin to ground rather than neutral. I should label those pins, but haven't gotten to that yet.
    IMG_8243 copy.jpg

IMG_8244.jpg

Andyprius1 likes this.
  11. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So today there were bad thunderstorms predicted. I decide I should unplug the EVSE from its outlet for the afternoon. The handle and plug are tucked up under the porch. It is more of a feel my way to get the job done because it is so busy under there. (see photos in the first post). I unlock the padlock and.... WASPS! Lots of them. :eek: Seems that their chosen spot to build a new nest was right above the handle holster and the EVSE box. :rolleyes:

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ouch! They always seem to pick the worst places.