1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Show Us Your Rack!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by peterjmc, Jun 6, 2012.

1. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, thanks.

2. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What's the measured height between the lowest part of the hitch receiver and the ground?

3. Mikzwol

Mikzwol New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My car is lowered and the lowest part of my hitch is 8 in

4. Mikzwol

Mikzwol New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Above the ground

5. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will check this afternoon.

6. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Edit: accidental post.

7. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A few days ago I was thinking about some sort of rack for my Prius. I can't do a roof rack because, well I'm short, but there's also the solar panel. I was thinking of one that just attaches to the HB lift gate instead of a hitch type. What are the advantages of each? I will probably at most be toting 2 road bikes. I would like to get a good one for under $100. Any advice?

8. Mikzwol

Mikzwol New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi I tried a HB rack they are a pain to put on and scratch the car it's hard to lock them to the car and you can't open the hatch with a bike on them I put a hitch mount rack it easy to put on the car easy to load the bikes mine has a built in locking system to lock the rack to the car and the bike to the rack and I can open the hatch with bikes on the rack all of the good bike racks are over 100 dollars

9. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is installing a rack like that something I can do myself or would a dealer have to do it? What are some good ones? If they're not too bad over $100 that'd be an option. Of course I might get lucky and there is a used one on Craigslist here or something.

10. Mikzwol

Mikzwol New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You would have to have a hitch installed they are about 140 and hitch bike racks start at 150 and go up from their hatch racks are about 130 if you keep a eye out you can find a used bike rack if you go to either trailer they have good prices and video on how to install you can see if it's something you would want to try the hitch is very easy to install

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They are pretty heavy, made of thick steel. It's doable for one person, but not easy, by any means. Any competent wrencher or handy person can do it with assistance from another helper.

SCH-I535

12. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would also recommend a hitch rack instead of a hatch mounted rack.

Regarding installation of the Curt hitch - you will need a ratchet (3/8" or 1/2" drive), two sockets (17mm and 19mm), a minimum 6" ratchet extension, and a long flat head screw driver (to separate the exhaust hanger from the mount).

It's a simple job for a seasoned DIY'er, but it's very doable for a rookie. The instructions that come with the Curt hitch is straight forward and easy to follow - I cannot speak for the others.

The important, final step is using a torque wrench to properly torque the bolts per the manufacturer's specification. If you do not have a torque wrench, they can be rented from an auto parts store like Advance Auto Parts or Autozone.

I'd put your husband to work and have him hold the hitch while you bolt it down.

crabbyman likes this.
  13. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also be aware that the hatch on the Gen III is aluminum, which is relatively soft and easy to break, whereas the hitches attach to steel mounting points on the underside of the chassis.

14. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was raised to be a DIYer, my father is a big fan of DIY and I learned from the best. The only things that would be an issue would be the weight of it, but as mentioned I could get my husband to help. Do they unattach easily? I can't imagine wanting something sticking off the back of my car when not in use, like the winter months. I will look into them and see what I can find second hand. If all else fails I could fold the seats down and carry it that way, but then I would have to contend with my son's carseat.

15. MSA14

MSA14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My install time was about 45 minutes - including backing the rear up on ramps and gathering tools. It wouldn't be a big deal to take on and off.

If you plan on doing this, I would recommend purchasing new lock washers for the bolts when re-installing - just for safe measures.

16. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think I was very clear with wording my question earlier. I mean would it be something you can take the rack itself off and leave the hitch part on? Does that make sense? Like I wouldn't want the rack part just sticking out the butt end of the car all the time if I'm not using it. Like with a camper and a truck, you unhook the camper and can drive the truck around but the hitch stays attached to the truck.

17. Mikzwol

Mikzwol New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes you can take a hitch bike rack off in less than a minute and put them back on very easy I don't leave mine

DrPepperholik likes this.
  18. Kanslisti

Kanslisti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thule Freeway bike rack installed. There was no 3rd generation Prius mentioned in the fit guide, but i took a risk. :) It fitted just, but number plate couldn't be any bigger.

Pros: cheap, easy to install, carries 3 bikes and trunk is accessible.

Cons: usage causes tiny scratches to paint under the number plate. I need to figure that out with some kind of sticker maby. :/

[​IMG]

Robert Holt likes this.
  19. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yikes! I see two things wrong, the bottom of the rack should rest on the bumper and the top on the back window (not the spoiler). The spoiler is weak and you could crack/damage it.

20. Kanslisti

Kanslisti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for accuracy. :) However, the top is resting on back window. Picture does the trick. ;)

I saw installations before purchase, where bottom was installed facing trunk door instead of bumber. That's why i decided to take a risk. And as a result the attachment is very steady.

But to be honest: now when i've used this rack for awhile, i am planning to have the tow hitch installed. Probably one made by Curt. And then use Thule Xpress tow hitch mounted bike rack. :)

#160 Kanslisti, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014