1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shrinking the key fob (SE/SS)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Eisenson, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I received two SE/SS remotes for my '04 (bought Oct '03), and thought they were too big. Accordingly, I mounted the key from one of them under the car, and cut down the electronic portion until it was about half the original overall bulk. It worked properly and was more convenient. The image was posted on the old Yahoo! group, which has apparently vaporized.

I just had an @$%!!! incident in which some items were lost - including that cut-down fob. Before I reduce the second one, I want to have a spare.

This time I want to do a far more aggressive and professional job, which I'll properly document. I think the SE/SS remote can be reduced to about 1/3 its original volume, and there's a good possibility that it can be made almost 2-dimensional, so it fits into a wallet like a credit card.

If anyone has a used SE/SS fob (accident, whatever) to sell, I'll gladly buy it - though I'd rather not pay the dealer's ransom. The key isn't necessary as I still have the one from the lost fob under my car.

And, I'll post the results with step-by-step data.

Henry

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You want to get a new fob ASAP! If you lose that one, you have an expensive ECU to replace to go along with 2 new fobs. $200 now, versus $1000 possibly late, your choice.

3. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wasn't aware of the danger and thank you for the good advice.

I'll give it a couple of days and will guard that remaining fob carefully. It's too big to lose easily....

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Oh, another reason I would not recommend cutting up your fob, in case you need to put it into your slot. If you cut the plastic wrong, the switches inside the slot might not detect that the fob is in there. If SKS should fail, you're out of luck!

5. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That was no problem. I just made a simple shim that sits permanently in the slot - works fine.

The second generation will be similar.

6. PhilCase

PhilCase New Member

Eisenson,

I, for one, would be very interested in seeing the details on this project, and look forward to your posting. [Putting this thread on my watch list now.]

Phil

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm. i'd rather have a fob that beeps when i whistle so it wouldnt be so easy to lose

8. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can buy inexpensive keychain dangles that do that.

If I reconfigure a Prius fob into a two-dimensional form, it might be simple to add the whistler - probably with a separate battery to protect the SE/SS function. The combined result will probably be smaller than the original Prius fob.

9. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Elsenson, have you tried eBay to find the SE/SS fob you are looking for? I have found brand new ones and used ones on eBay.

10. Krandun

Krandun New Member

Did anything ever happen with this? I would be interested in trimming my keyfob, but I’d hate to ruin it on accident.