1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side airbags

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by marjflowers, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 18 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]241745[/snapback]</div>
    I think a fair price would be what you paid, less a reasonable price based upon your few months usage. If you based it off of .40 a mile, it would be $900. That's less than $250 a month. I'm not sure if that's too high or low, but you shouldn't have to eat much on this.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 18 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]241745[/snapback]</div>
    first, they are not acknowledging fault by offering you a trade. they need to be buying back your vehicle, minus the miles you've gotten out of it as maytrix suggested. all they're going to do is turn around and sell it used for $25k or more anyway. don't let them cheat you, they will still be making money on this.

if the deal is unsatisfactory, lodge a complaint with the regional office. it's good that they're trying to take care of this at the dealer level, however, it's clear that they won't acknowledge having misled you in the name of a quick sale and that still spells out s-h-a-d-y to me.

3. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 18 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]241745[/snapback]</div>
    I have a question...why the wait until Friday? It sounds as if he wants you to go away, and hoping the longer he delays any type of response means you will just...poof...go away. A responsive, fast, satisfactory solution is what you want and here he is waiting until Friday? What's he doing with all that time? I don't think he is actively trying to resolve this issue in your favor.

4. ml86

ml86 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 18 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]241635[/snapback]</div>
    Among other things I am a clinical psychologist and former managing partner in a clinical practice. Getting money out of a health insurance company is quite a feat. I'm no longer worried about you. I pity the salesman, or I would if he didn't deserve it!

5. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 16 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]240657[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, I just talked to the sales rep at Toyota, and he said he could get me the car I want with payments over $500/month. My payments are currently $350. Needless to say, that isn't acceptable. What he proposed was a trade-in, for which he was going to allow $17,000 for a trade-in. I've had the car 4 months and it only has 2250 miles on it!

Needless to say, I was pissed. Then we got into a back and forth over whether he told me the car had side airbags or not. Finally I asked to talk to his manager, and she's supposed to call tomorrow.

I may or may not wait till tomorrow -- I think I want to go on and call Toyota today. Here's my question -- where do I find the telephone for the right person, and how do I find out who the right person is?

Thanks for all your advice.

Peace --

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 19 2006, 11:53 AM) [snapback]242088[/snapback]</div>
    i was afraid that would happen. time to go over everyone's head, above the dealership. they should be buying it back less the value of mileage you put on it and they're trying to screw you over.

admitting he did that will get him in trouble. he doesn't want to do that.

all i found was the number for US corporate HQ- couldn't find regional numbers. it's 800-331-4331. if you need a number specific for the cinci region let me know and i'll see what i can dig up.

7. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Update after talking with Toyota --

Toyota corporate will not get involved in this type of issue -- all they will do is get in touch with the dealership and encourage them to work something out. So I called and talked to the man they were going to contact. He was very polite (aren't they always?!?) and said he would talk to the general manager and call me back today.

Hear that? It's the sound of Marjorie getting screwed, and she's not enjoying it!

Peace --

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does Kentucky have a consumer affairs office? If not try the attorney general's office. A dealer should not be allowed to lie about a safety matter and get away with it.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    let me see if we can get the number for the cincinnati regional distributor. they have more local control over their dealers. at least, i know all the dealers in the southeast stand at attention for SET...

10. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 19 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]242144[/snapback]</div>
    Galixee, I would appreciate it if you could get me that number, I suspect I'm going to need it.

Latest -- I just talked to the sales manager, and she told me that if I had complained to her before the bank paperwork went through (in January), she would have been able to get me the car with side airbags. I told her I would have been happy to do that, but that I just became aware of the crash test issue on Sunday. She's going to talk to the sales rep I originally dealt with, who of course is not working today.

Anyway, I'm going out there this afternoon, and I hope (ever the optimist) that we can work it out.

Peace --

11. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Update -- I met with the sales manager, and basically, she offered me 18,000 for my car on a trade-in with a $500 vs. $360 monthly payment. UNACCEPTABLE! Also, she told me that package #3 isn't available in our region, so she priced a package #4. Also that involved selling back my extended warranty and not getting it on the replacement car ($2300).

She said there was NO WAY that I was going to get out of eating the depreciation. Then she started explaining that if they did, they would lose money. I said (nicely) that it wasn't my problem; that my problem is that I have what I consider an unsafe car because her sales rep failed to give me correct information. After she said that was all she could do, I asked who I needed to talk to who could help me, and she said she would talk with the owner and get back to me by tomorrow afternoon.

Not much success yet, but I haven't given up.

Peace --

12. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

As a previous poster suggested, I'd start looking for a lawyer to write a letter. Let them know you're serious with a capital "S".

13. ml86

ml86 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 20 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]242785[/snapback]</div>
    So far so predictable. I bet there is a glutted black market for adoption of car salesman's babies. Not much demand but lots of supply. It'll be interesting to see if you can get face to face with the owner. Where are they getting $18000, besides "we're making this all up as we go along. Opps, that was the problem in the first place." I see a 2005 Prius with 25,000 miles on E-Bay for $17400, and a 2004 with 31,000 miles for $15000. One reason I bought a 2006 was cause the price difference with a used 2005 was insignificant.

An additional thought, give some consideration to contacting the local TV news ASAP while this thing about Prius crash tests is still a hot item. The tie in might make it seductive for them to do your story.

Keep at them.

14. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Max Smart @ Apr 20 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]242932[/snapback]</div>
    Yet another update -- the sales manager called after talking with the owner, they raised what they would give me as a trade-in was 19,000, which would still leave my car payment at around $500/month. Their other solution was for me to trade in my Prius for a Scion! She acted like she was doing me such a favor because it would actually lower my car payments, get 38mpg, and have airbags!

Sooooo...I am waiting for a call from the owner -- I got his voice mail. I want to set up an appointment with him face-to-face rather than on the telephone.

As for the attorney, I have no money for an attorney, so that's out. And as far as local news -- I had to laugh since we have no local stations!

The saler mgr contends that if I had complained when the deal was done (I did), that they could have made it right. But since it's been 3 months, I'm SOL.

When I talk with the owner, I plan to tell him that I will be going to schools, churches, etc. to demonstrate the Prius. I will tell them what a wonderful car it is as well as the shoddy treatment I got from the dealership. Obviously, I will not buy another car from this dealership. I don't knowif he'll care or not -- we'll see...

Peace --

15. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 18 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]241745[/snapback]</div>
    If you have not already done so, document all your dealings with these sales people. It will certainly come in handy if you are not happy with the deal they offer and go for litigation.
    Just make notes as to where and when what was said or agreed.

16. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Apr 21 2006, 07:47 PM) [snapback]243417[/snapback]</div>
    If she is going to go around doing demos of the Prius at churches etc. and telling her feelings about the dealer she will need to document all her dealings to be prepared if the dealer decides to go for litigation. These things can work both ways so protect yourself.

17. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< In the construction business, we have a saying:

"A contractor had rather climb a tree and lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth!"

Sounds like that may well apply to most car salespeople as well. Caveat emptor STILL applies in all transactions - NEVER take the word of a salesperson who has a financial gain involved. ALWAYS pre-research important purchases. TWICE read the written agreement and demand clarification of terms and conditions you don't understand. NEVER, NEVER sign a blank contract. In the excitement of a major purchase, like a Prius (or any car), it's too easy to gloss over details what with the "new car smell" and sparkle.

Of course, all this comes after the fact of signatures, taking delivery and "using" the vehicle. Hope your project works out without a lot of further travail. There's a lot to be learned here for other Prius buyers.

On the upside: With or without side airbags, you have a terrific machine.

18. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 25 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]244998[/snapback]</div>
    Next time I will do better!

But for now...here's what has happened -- so far. I really need some advice!

1/20 Bought Prius. I asked the sales rep (Chad) if it had side airbags, and he assured me that it did. So I signed on the dotted line.

1/21 Went back to Don Moore Toyota, and asked Chad to show me where the side airbags were. He said there weren't any but indicated it wasn't a big deal. I didn't know I had any options, so I left sorry and wiser. But still REALLY happy with my new Prius.

Fast forward to...

4/16 Dateline did a segment on Prius side crashes with/without side air bags. There was a BIG difference.

4/18 I went back to talk to Chad, and he didn't remember telling me that the car had no side airbags. SO... I called Toyota Corp. and they told me all they could do was call the customer service dude at Don Moore Toyota and encourage them to work with me.

4/19 I called the head of customer service, and he was very nice and assured me that something could be worked out. He referred me to the General Manager. The General Manager referred me to the Sales Manager (Susan), and she's the one I've spent the most time with. Her solution was to treat this as a trade-in, and offered $17,000 for my current Prius. It was going to raise my car payments by about $200/month. Needless to say, I declined. She said she would talk with Don Moore and see what else she could work out.
    I told her I wanted to speak with Don Moore.

4/20 Susan called with the exciting news that she had found a solution. I was to make a virtually even trade for a 2006 Scion with airbags. I was not happy. Since she had not given Don Moore the message to call me, I went to Don Moore Honda (next door) and asked a sales rep over there to give Don Moore the message to call me.

4/24 Don Moore called me at 9:15PM. He told me if I had complained on January 21, they would have fixed it. He insisted he wanted to keep me as a customer (this is the 5th car I've bought from them), and he was willing to lose money on the dealby getting less than MSRP. He told me that we could do the trade and I'd have to finance $3000. Considering I was getting airbags and VSC, and that I had driven my car for 3 months. I agreed.

2/25 Susan called me and told me the deal would cost me $4800 instead of $3000. I told her I liked Don's deal better and so I asked her to ask Don to call me. Susan called back later in the afternoon to say that she had spoken with Don, and he couldn't change the price. She quoted me the MSRP, which Don had said he would comedown on. BUT...he suggested they try to refinance my car at a better rate, so the payments would go up only $80 instead of $200 that they started with.

SO...here I am. And I DO care about the side airbags -- I did from the very start when Chad assured me they were there. BUT...now there's a principle involved. First, Chad lied to me, and the Don Moore did. I really believe Chad made an honest mistake, but a mistake it was, and I don't think they should profit both on my trade-in and the new car as well.

So what do you suggest?

Peace --

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 25 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]245299[/snapback]</div>
    OK I am a Doc so my perspective is well "limited" to evidence based medicine, and that tells me that with the Prius side air bags are huge. In a side collision they mean your life. The price is not greater than that. Not now, not ever, never. I would suggest that you need to take this to the matt. As a Doc I do not say this lightly... believe me! You need legal help. Please do not rush out and get the lawyer with the most ads in the phone book. Please do research. Look around. Ask for advice, Even consider paying for help rather that operating on contingency, i.e. the lawyer does better than you. You really should have the car you bought! That is one with side air bags. This is not pretence, you may well bet your life on this. Please consider that!

20. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I bought my Explorer (my first car), back in '94, I specifically requested the "towing package" which was a different gear ratio and a bigger radiator and had a higher maximum towing weight. It was a primary option for me. I didn't have anything to tow, but I figured that since I lived in South Carolina at the time, deep in truck country, that if I was going to get a truck, I should get one that can actually tow something, in case I ever wanted to see it later.

They didn't have what I wanted at the dealership, so they had to swap cars with another dealer 100 miles away. They wrote down the description and price of the car I was going to buy when it arrived, including the fact that it had the "towing package" and faxed it to my bank, who was providing the loan. They wouldn't let me have a copy if it though, since I hadn't actually signed any contract and they didn't want me taking the quote to another dealer.

Anyhow, I got my Explorer two days later, took it home and read through the manual page by page. A couple of days later, I came across the page that explained how to decode the information plate on the driver's side door and determine the options and features that were present on the car. Out of idle curiosity, I took a look at the plate and discovered that the car did not have the "towing package".

I figured it wasn't going to be easy to rectify this, as I had signed the contract and taken delivery of the car and I didn't have any proof that I had even asked for the towing package. The first place I went to was the bank to discuss with the loan officer what my options were. They told me that there wasn't anything they could do, but then I remembered that they had been faxed a copy of the vehicle description. So I had them make me a copy. I then marched right down to the dealer, with the vehicle description paperwork in hand and demanded that they fix the situation.

They were actually very responsive. The salesman disappeared for about 10 minutes and then came back and told me that they would swap my car out with another one they had located at another dealer and that I could come back in two days to do the swap. They took care of the DMV paperwork and I was charged nothing extra.

Of course, I expect that I would have had a much harder time if I hadn't been able to hand them their own paperwork that stated they were going to sell me an Explorer with the towing package.