1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side damage - hit a style

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DevChatt, Feb 6, 2017.

1. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi guys,
    New to the forums and didn't want to make an account here because of this negative event but ugh...
    Today while backing out of a parking lot, I accidentally hit a metal stile that caused damage. It is frustrating because I just baught this car 4 months ago....

Eitherway the damage looks like scratches and dents but there may be something further...a black metal piece which looks like it was connected to the bumper (to connect it to the rest of the car) was chipped out.
    Since I was driving quite slow (must of been 2-5mph) I don't believe any further damage has been completed...although what concerns me is that scratches and buffering on the side piece.
    I'll be going to the shop for an estimate tomorrow morning, but for right now wondering from any of your guys experience how this would go. Is the side piece looking to be replaced fully? I feel the bumper will probably need to be replaced due to the black piece behind it being chopped out.

Please let me know if more pics should be attached or more
    Details.
    I'll post shop findings tomorrow. I have a trusted shop in my area which I love which I go to almost all the time something like this happens (used it on my old Hyundai always)

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    ouch. i've done that. hard to say, but looks like $1,200 - $1,500. i think they will replace the panels.

DevChatt likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That bumper damage alone will be $1000. It's hit where your 12v battery is located

DevChatt likes this.
  4. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like a body shop project, and watch for deeper issues in the area of the battery. The air exhaust from the HV compartment must come out somewhere under there, so you want to make sure that is unobstructed. If the wheel was scuffed, you may want to check the alignment too (although the back wheel has limited adjustment capacity). Good luck!

DevChatt likes this.
  5. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey guys .

Thanks for the response! Ouch that sounds so brutal for such a minor error I made. Lesson learned .

There is
    Minor damage on the tire hubcap which I'll live with (it's just a hubcap after all). I'll check for alignment. Let's see what is heard back from tomorrow. It's quite the frustration to have something like this happen...but I guess a life lesson is one

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. any insurance?

7. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Unfortunately nothing that will cover this sadly ;(. I baught this with minimum since it was quite cheap of a car...so everything will sadly have to be out of pocket. Ugh....

8. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry it happened. Check the 12 volt battery and HV fan ductwork from the inside (watch a video on how to replace a Gen 2 12 volt battery for instructions on how to access this area).

Post 11 in Battery vent fan | PriusChat will give you a sense of where things are located.

DevChatt likes this.
  9. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks! I just had a check from the inside and nothing for my untrained eye looks lien it got damaged ...but really cannot tell well...everything looks in place from thread 7 but ...ah tis I'm not sure.

Maybe I should hit a more speciality shop or the dealer to have a look at this?

10. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I did drive this car around for about 40 miles home after this accident occurred and have not noticed any drivability issues on the drive back

Not discounting something may if still happened

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where did you take it? a decent body shoppe should be able to handle it. if it were me, i would ask them to knock it out and touch it up. if you want it perfect, i understand.

DevChatt likes this.
  12. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have not yet taken it anywhere yet. I'm just debating to go somewhere like the dealer who may of seen priuses more common. Tomorrow in the morning I'll hit my regular body shop to see what they have to say regarding it.lets see what options they give me.

I'm not discounting internal damage exists , it may very well but I am hoping not.

I will definetly tell you guys what comes out of this tomorrow

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah just from experience, more like $2000~3000.

bisco likes this.
  14. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree it seems mostly cosmetic (and, yes, expen$ive :eek:); we are trying to help explain possible issues so there are no surprises in the future. (y)

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Having been hit in that corner right where the battery was I know exactly where the 12 volt battery sits from the outside and all the damage is way higher than the battery area. Damage way above in the soft unprotected tin so no 12 bolt battery issues here just alot of quarter panel body work and a new bumper. $2500 if its a dollar. Looks like you caught the tire rim too. Might want to have that tire checked for a bent rim. It is so easy to bend a G2 stock rim they are very light.

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Take it to your shop and the Toyota dealer's collision center (if they have one). Doesn't cost anything to get a second opinion.

17. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks guys. I went to the first shop this morning to get an estimate and it came back 2200. They said they could salvage the bumper, but the side panel would need to be dented off by taking off the panel and then also the door would also have to be taken off as well. They also do not have much availability and would not be able to get to this work until atleast 1 month later...and would prefer to see what other options are available. I am going to go to a Toyota shop during my lunch hour to get an estimate there...will return what they say as well.

bisco likes this.
  18. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go on eBay get a painted bumper and for 300 and push it out with your foot should be close

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SnT08Prius and DevChatt like this.
  19. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would do paintless dent repair that will get your car looking at least 95% like new.
    ($150 each dent so $300 total estimate 4hr job)

They can likely buff out those scratches and you may need some touchup paint few spots.

That will get your resale value back to where it should be and you won't have to drive around a car with dents & everyone asking you what happened to your car.
    NEVER TRY TO TAKE OUT THE DENTS YOURSELF as you will do more damage!

I don't care what they tell you, a car that age it's hard to get the paint to match that's why they'll quote painting like 1/2 the car :) I had a Mazda which i put a 6 inch dent rubbing up against a yellow pole in a drivethru. Used magic eraser (which is basically fine grit sandpaper) to get rid of the paint transfer and paintless dent repair and came out great. Sold at Kbb value no one could tell there was any damage there.

#19 stockdaddy, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    DevChatt likes this.
  20. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you guys. The last two points were un believable. I went to another shop (toyota dealer) and got a similar quote. I'm going to go to a dent shop and see what they tell me today. I can live with a few scratches, because at the end of the day I'll primarily be driving this car till the tires fall off (hoping to get 300-400k miles) and then just junk it. I drive almost 700 miles a week! I will return back with what the dent shop tells me