1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side damage - hit a style

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DevChatt, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Never heard of a "dent shop", sounds like wistful thinking. I would get a body shop with good reviews on it, that $2200 seems like a good price, in the States. Up here I'm sure I'd be looking at $3000 for something like that. My two cents: get it done right.

Like @bisco asked in post #6: insurance?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try using a bathroom toilet plunger, that might pull out the dent

3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With dents, especially where they can't get at it from behind, our place (been going there for decades, just the dentist, lol) welds on nails, pulls out the dent with pullers attached to the nails, then knocks the nails sideways to dislodge, grinds everything smooth, and so on.

4. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Unfortunately for a car this old, i planned on keeping minimum just due to the age. My mistake...Lesson learned.
    Eitherway, I went to another shop that does the paintless dent repairs...and they told me they can't fix it with just simpled dent repairing due to the dent on the bottom of the side panel.

Good news, is that they did quote me a little less not to have the paint matching done. TBQH, I really don't care if the paints match one for one with the rest of the door as long as it does not stick out like a sore thumb. I have no way in telling this although...any tips or experiences or pics? Especially since it is a silver car I can't really tell. At the end of the day as long as it drives, and doesn't have that "WOW What happened to your car" factor when driving around friends, I am perfectly content.

The lady who estimated told me that "if you look closely at your front bumper and hood yoou can see the color is slightly off as welll..silver cars in general hardly match paint between the bumper and the hood as is". Saving the paint match cuts like 400 bucks.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "The lady who estimated told me that "if you look closely at your front bumper and hood yoou can see the color is slightly off as welll..silver cars in general hardly match paint between the bumper and the hood as is".

Painted plastic and painted metal can be different shades because they are different materials, not because they are painted silver. Some white cars can be pretty obvious. The viewing angle and the angle of the sun are also factors. Color match is in the eye of the beholder. Since it is on the right side you won't have to look at it when you get in.

If you saved more than $2200 in premiums you are still ahead. Keep us posted & share the "after" pix.

DevChatt likes this.
  6. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks. To be honest I may of mistold what she has said. I mean, with a lack of paint matching what ann I looking at?

I am bringing it to the shop tomorrow , and will be getting a nice cheaper price for it...saving 400 bucks...

I'm not looking at like a super dark gray versus a light gray right? Something a bit more subtle and something to really look at right? Any examples?

I will definitely post before and after pics!

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No paint matching, wow that will stick out like a sore thumb

8. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can always buy a bumper off of ebay painted with your color code.. did it for my 04 blue prius.. great match was about 500$ shipped and painted

Pixel XL ?

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending what your tolerance for living with these types of defects, it may not be so bad.

I had damage to the FL bumper caused by contact with a textured plaster concrete wall, so had some nasty gouges deep into the black base plastic. It looked nasty and you could see it from a long way off. I decided that seeing as I was not going to repair it (not worth the cost to me) and wait for a decent no-fault accident to get it repaired that way. In the mean time, as it was a bit much for me to bear, I bought a bottle of touch up paint from the Toyota counter and filled in all the scratches and gouges by hand. When you see it close up, it is noticeable, but from a couple of yards, you don't even notice it. So 1000% better from my perspective.

Still waiting for that FL crash (hehe), but no longer bothered at all by the damage.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes the longer you're able to tolerate the damaged car, the more you'll start to accept it and not be bothered by it. I know cause my 06 was like that

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Paint "matching" is a bit of an art: there's demos on the net, where they purposely mismatch at the repair, then gradually increase the painted zone, while diluting the paint, till they're spaying clear.

And you can't see that paint is off. It's an abrupt transition that draws the eye: with that tapering off of the color coat, it fools your brain into thinking there's just a change in the light, or a body curvature.

Bottom line: don't cheap out too much.

12. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just dropped off the car for repairs. So a few things…I read most of these posts prior to dropping it off and gave my concern about matching. The manager showed me all the different shades of silver that my prius can come in (6 Different shades), and pointed out that he will find the correct factory color . He then showed me the 6 different shades and asked me if I can find a notable difference. I really could not tell…

Either way, he then said the only location you may notice this is in direct sunlight just the paint very close to the door versus the panel and not really anywhere else. It probably won't bother you unless you look at it close to the eye. He did mention he will make it as close as he can without taking off the door. Which I think is fine with me. Further he noted, if anything that may be off is the tone.

I will post pictures for you guys when I get it back!

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Matching is secondary. Blending is paramount, key to seamless paint job.

14. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had yellow marks on my first black prius,damn posts should be outlawed

15. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey guys
    A few updates the car is not fully completed at the moment but it is near done. They are waiting for the bumper cover to come in which is why am delayed an extra day but they finished working on the side panel without paint matching to the door.
    Honestly I'm not disappointed it looks pretty good at the moment we shall see tomorrow at the full bumper on but I don't think I really mind nor is it very noticeable...

Attached Files:

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very nice!(y)

17. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, looking good. :)

Now watch out for other posts! :eek:

18. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Work is all done. Paid for and completed!
    OFcourse it cost a pretty penny but i did save money by not paint matching (a good 400-500 bucks)...so it was worthwhile. Haven't driven it yet due to work requirements...but will do tonight. Car looks beautiful!

I did have some minor dings and scratches on the previous bumper which is now off as well.

Thank you all for all the help! Quite meaningful!

Attached Files: