1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side Mirror Cameras

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Bob Brandon, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Bob Brandon

Bob Brandon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone, I was thinking of getting cameras for my side mirrors so that I can check my blindspots when changing lanes. The guys at Crutchfield suggested this: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-pTT1vaI9EZW/p_707VTB123/Boyo-VTB123HD.html

Just a few questions. First, are they any good? I've never had side cameras, so I don't know what's good.

Secondly, I have a Kenwood DMX957XR head unit with an iDataLink Maestro RR2. The Kenwood has multiple camera inputs, so I could plug them in. The question is whether it'll automatically show the left/right camera when I have the appropriate turn signal on? According to the product page (under "safe driving"), it says "Camera switching is available using on screen controls, or automatically for side cameras when an optional iDatalink Maestro RR is connected (supported vehicles only)." Just curious if my 2012 Prius is a "supported vehicle."

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you getting them to record? In the event someone does something not so smart
    and makes contact with your Prius and you have video to show it was their fault?

3. Bob Brandon

Bob Brandon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wasn't thinking of it. Thinking more of a checking my blindspots before I change lanes as well as making sure I'm close enough to the curb when parallel parking. Might consider ones that record if they're available. I am thinking of getting a dashcam, though.

ASRDogman likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. WesleyRiccipio

WesleyRiccipio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is it reasonably possible to connect the side mirror cameras for recording? Anyone know what piece is missing between this guys setup?

Wums likes this.
  6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The ones you linked too is a back up camera, it seems. They would still work.
    I bought one that has the front camera, and a rear camera the records both.
    I was also thinking about getting two more to record fromt he side.

Putting them in the mirror's might work well enough.