1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side mirrors with signal lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Tipjar, May 30, 2023.

1. Tipjar

Tipjar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I see once again Toyota has decided not to include side view mirrors with turn signal lights on the Prius. This irks me because it was standard on the Prius-C and is available on the new Corolla (which I consider a lesser model in the Toyota lineup). I'm the original owner of a 2015 Prius IV and had side view mirrors with turn signals added aftermarket by a repair shop in nearby Los Angeles county shortly after I bought the car. The shop used motorized signal mirrors of a Toyota model named the Wish in Japan. Cost me around $1,200 at the time and worth every penny. In addition to the security of increased visibility to other drivers it has made the whole car look classier, are retractable at the push of a button, and allows me to see when the door locks are activated at night from a distance when running and tail lights may be blocked from view. The advantage I had at that time was I bought the last year of production for Gen 3, so there were already several years for a mod to be developed. There were even detailed DIY tutorials available.

Has anyone seen information for adding side view mirrors with turn signal lights to the 2023 Prius yet? Broad slots on the exterior of the mirror indicate its shell could be a blank for another model that offers the mirrors with turn signals. One potential problem that didn't exist in 2015 is weather features like lane keep assist have an indicator in the existing mirrors.

otatrant likes this.
  2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    There is no info available yet, but I'm watching and will post a thread here as soon as I find anything. Getting auto-folding mirrors with indicators is a priority for me. I'm also trying to find out how to add the reverse-linked mirror function(where the mirrors turn inward and down to focus on the corners when you engage reverse. These are all available on the Japanese Prius, so it should just be a matter of finding the correct part numbers and finding a shop like Hybrid Pit that will import a bunch and resell them as a kit.

otatrant likes this.
  3. Tipjar

Tipjar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, Hammersmith. Hybrid Pit is where I had my current mirrors converted.

Another thing that really bugs me is an operable moon roof is no longer available, only fixed glass. If they offered a version where the roof opens I'd buy one today. It's the only reason I haven't let go of my Gen 3. I'd pay for that mod but not holding my breath.

4. Tipjar

Tipjar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hope this isn't blasmphemy, I'm just putting it out there. I've heard the 2023 Corolla hybrid uses the Prius running gear; in other words it's a Prius with a Corolla body. But the Corolla hybrid's XLE trim level offers turn signal indicators on the side view mirrors and an operable moonroof, which is not being offered on any trim level of Prius. The Corolla's dash isn't as cool.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    many here rate the corolla over the prius. but as usual, toyota puts things in different cars with no sense as to why.
    corolla has a lot to offer, but prius looks much better, imo, is a hatch (if you want one) and gets better highway mpg's iirc.

6. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I'm OK with no moon roof. When I had one in any of my vehicles I only really used it when parked to crack it open to vent and keep the car cooler. I would have loved blinkers on the side mirrors though.

7. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    So disappointed the signal mirrors are not current w/turn signal indicators...figured this was a given for 2023 given how long they have been around and rather standard (also would think it would be required here in the US.)

Operable moonroof - yes please. Had one on a Prius 3..current Prius 3 does not have it and we miss it so much....

8. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People interested in side mirrors with blinkers, heated, auto-folding, can look no further than buying a spare part of the EU only version, the PHEV, standard for all trims, included the base trim (name changes depending on country).

PS: All EU trims have also the RCTA in the mirror, you can't find a spare without it.

Just remember that UK will not have for sale the Prius, they predicted not enough interest for the PHEV, the only Toyota EU decided to import from Japan. Perhaps because Brexit added custom duties for EU items.

Active france mod.jpg

#8 Maxwell61, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  9. AndersOne

AndersOne Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That makes me feel a little bit better after paying around one third more compared to what people pay in the states. At least I get cooler side mirrors.

EDIT: Oh - and dual zone climate control

10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Huh, the turn signal indicator lamps for the mirrors are actually in the Toyota US system. They must be identical to the lamps in some other Toyota US product. Maybe the Crown or bZ4X? Price for the lamps themselves aren't even that bad. Maybe $50 for both after discounts. But I'm still working on what else is needed to make them work. I may have to go so far as to disassemble one of my mirrors to see what's there and what isn't.

81730-47030 - Lamp Assy, Side Turn Signal, RH
    81740-47020 - Lamp Assy, Side Turn Signal, LH
    both are $37.01 MSRP, or around $25 after discount

You don't want to know how much an OEM auto-folding side mirror project is going to be. The first part I found is around $400(the driver's door switch assembly to get the folding buttons).

wrtboy168 and otatrant like this.
  11. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    (duplicate post)

#11 Hammersmith, Jun 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  12. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    spotted this in aliexpress. wondering if the mod is only for trims with side mirrors that are already fitted with turn signallights.

[​IMG]

Alessandro_Ibi likes this.
  13. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In case this helps:

I have a Toyota Avalon. A lot of the functional items appear to come from the Prius. The wing mirrors on mine have:

Turn Signal.
    Puddle Light.
    Power adjust.
    Self adjusts for reversing.
    Blind spot indicator.
    I think defrost(?)

I had one replaced, there is an eight pin (?) plug for all the stuff in there. You might be able to get a pair at a scrapyard. No idea if the mounting would work.

14. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Correct. Those will only work with cars that already have turn signals installed. The housings are different and not compatible. (ask me how I know - lol)

Sedril and wrtboy168 like this.