1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side Turn Signals (and upgrade horn)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by DeanFL, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nah that would have been too easy. Toyota went and complicated it. The emblems are actually different with the alignment pins in different places. Go figure.

I attached a picture showing the pins on the two badges. The pin between the B and the R are in the same location, but the one on the SynergyDrive Logo are in different positions and are different sizes.

Attached Files:

Inspire3 likes this.
  2. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Horn swap - Laparoscopic method

This weekend I swapped-out my horns. Traveling the Interstate every day, the meep-meep just doesn't cut it for me.

I replaced them with Tiger Blazers (one high tone, one low). They are the same brand as what I used on my 2007, but this time I went for the next bigger size-- the box says 132db vs. 113 for the smaller version.

The mod was much easier on my '07, since there was plenty of room to work and relatively easy access. But on the 2010 there is very little clearance between the nose and the cross beam that they're mounted under. But after some investigation, I realized I could go through the grill emblem with very little trouble:

1. Remove the plastic cover at the front of the engine compartment (held on with 3 clips)

2. Remove the catch for the safety latch (two bolts on the front)

3. There are two Phillips-head screws holding the emblem on, as well as a snap clip at the bottom. There are several long pins at the top, so pull it straight out when removing

From there, it's pretty easy to get to both horns. For the left-hand one, I unbolted the bracket from the top (frame) end, and rebolted it from the back, which gave the horn better alignment. For the right-hand side I used the original bracket.

To remove the original horn from its bracket, loosen the flat nut, not the bolt, which has a Phillips-slot in the end (this is much more obvious once the horn is off the car.)

For power, I used the existing harness, which plugged right onto the spade lug. I used the jumper wire from the other lug to the mounting bracket.

Inspire3 and Sphyrna like this.
  3. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just to be clear - do the front fender emblems pry off or are they secured from the back?

4. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love the side markers. My biggest question/concern is servicability. Once those are mounted, I don't think they're going to be easy to replace. Any field-experience with those side markers?

5. ronlprius2

ronlprius2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They pry off. The hole seems to be just for location. I hate emblems but am not sure how to patch the holes if I pull them.

6. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where did you get your side signals?

7. loaddown

loaddown Loaddown

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm glad I found this discussion. This is exactly what I was planning to do tomorrow. I have the same low tone horn and I felt the stock horn was the high tone, so will retain it. I was trying to figure how to get to it. Your pictures confirmed my suspicions.
    Now I have to find that wire tap you used to Siamese the hot wires together. Thanks!

8. wkursch28

wkursch28 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What kind of side signals were used on this? Really like the look of them.

9. John Bergendahl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I still have both OEM Nissan Altima horns i wonder if i can get them to attach ...