1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

side view mirror -- remove back plastic cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Nov 17, 2016.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: Three torn off fingernails (bleeding and very painful) later and all I have managed to do is chip a small piece of the red plastic cover off.

I am giving up. Toyota dealer will see me for the second time this year.

Dealer says have to buy entire part -- only the bracket holding the mirror is broken, but have to buy entire thing for around $210. Oh, well, looks like replacement is easy enough.

Bambi and I had a mishap when she ran in front of my car at 5:30 a.m. I am actually more worried about her than the car....she ran off....so that part is good, but hope she has no serious injuries. Mirror bracket is the only damage on my side.

Passenger side -- the side view mirror back cover (the painted plastic part).

I know it just snaps into the front, but I can't seem to get it off. Watched a couple of YouTube videos, but none of them actually show them removing the cover.

I have been prying and pulling for 15 minutes.

Is there a special technique?

I am talking about the silver part shown here:

[​IMG]

#1 cyberpriusII, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  2. TerryM

TerryM Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

Around the 10 minute mark he shows where he had to pry to separate the cover from the bracket.

At 2:39 on this it shows him standing on the mirror to separate the parts.
    Might be better to let the dealer use the super secret tool to do this job.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, saw that vid at 6:30 a.m. Had destroyed my fingers by 8:30. Had a call into dealer by 8:45. Dealer said that since I am such a good customer, not....they would do the entire job for "free," except for the parts, of course. He said they can do it in around 15 minutes....sort of like buy wipers and they install free....

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Glad it turned out well!

I noticed neither of those videos showed popping the glass out of the mirror. I don't know if that changed for later generations, but on my old Gen 1, that was easy to do, and with the glass out, you're just looking right into the inside of the shell where the clips from the painted back come through, and can just gently disengage them and push them out. Highly civilized, no torn body parts.

-Chap

cyberpriusII likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just cut up the mirror and preserve the cover.

Buy a used mirror for $50 or less

6. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I hear the part is in. I go in. The service writer I talked to is not there. The service manager said no way she was going to have the part put in unless I make an appointment and pay $95.

I said forget it. Got the part and spent about 20 minutes putting it in myself. Works great. Do not need to take off the entire door panel, but if you have "real man" hands (bigger than mine), you might find it easier.

I think any real mechanic could have had it done in about 10 minutes. Most of my time was spent figuring out what to do next.

Simple job, really. The back piece (colored shell), was easy to remove once I removed the mirror glass from the damaged part.

Thanks for the encouragement!
    kris

7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are right. Same in GenII. The mirror glass is held in by clips also. Easy to dislodge by slipping a flat-bladed screw driver under the glass and twisting and prying (gently) along the bottom. I saved the glass, which was perfectly fine, in the event I ever break the new mirror glass.
    kris