1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side Window Deflectors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mrg, Nov 1, 2006.

1. rocketfueler

rocketfueler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rocketfueler @ Aug 1 2007, 10:48 PM) [snapback]489100[/snapback]</div>

Bruceha: It took me from the time I last posted till about 10 minutes ago - about an hour. Your pictures were a TREMENDOUS help. Worth a thousand words squared.

What I also found helpful, and to add on to your brilliant post, was to use the bloody tool as a shoehorn. I ran it across the channel the deflector sits in a couple of times to get the edge "leaning" outwards, and that seemed to help when tucking the deflector into the channel.

The clips were a miserable pain to keep in place, but once I discovered the tool could be used as a kind of shoehorn, and applied what's left of my shoulders to get the deflector up in there good and tight, it went real easy. In fact, it's up there so tight, and it was such a pain in the groin to get it right, I didn't even bother to take the strip off the adhesive.

If, by some miracle, it should ever show signs of coming loose, I'd more likely shoot some glue in there with a very thin insulin needle than remove the deflector and try to get it in place again.

If I ever need a manual written and illustrated, you're hired. Thanks again!

2. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoldWing @ Aug 1 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]488675[/snapback]</div>
    Gold Wing is correct; my mistake. I did not notice this until recently....years after I started using these! You should only crack the front ones if there is the possibility of rain. I do crack the rear ones at work to help let the heat out (questionable to me how much it really helps), can run out there if it rains.

rpm

3. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've never used window deflectors and was going to pass if the stick on were the only ones available. When I saw Fire Engineer's weathertech deflectors when he installed my EBH I went ahead and purchased a set. I never plan on driving with my windows open in the rain but if I do I'd only crack the front anyway. I mainly want them so I can crack the windows for ventilation when I park. For this purpose they look fine. And I didn't bother with the clips on the back since I'll only be cracking the backs when parked. If I find there is a problem, I have the clips and can reinstall or I can use clear caulk around the gasket. But I love the look. These would look great for those with rear side windows tint. I've got the dark ones on my Black Prius.

5. priusguam

priusguam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This it the post that cleared it up for me. thanks Rob! Tricky to get em in but works perfectly when youre done Trust me. It took about an hour and some frustration but when I figured it out it makes sense.
    From the outside looking in its: Outside part of rubber, Wx Tech Deflector, curved part of clip, window, back part of clip (tucked inside the back lip of rubber in the channel in "step 1" of instructions) Another way to think of it is the deflector goes on the OUTSIDE of the curved part of the clip and the rubber. When you finish you should see the clip inside the weather tech deflector The curve matches the inside curve of the deflector and holds it up. The clip itself never "clips in", it is held in by the inside lip of the rubber seal. Remember, dont try to put the clip on top of the rubber seal (metal to metal). You can also use the little tool like a shoehorn to keep working the rubber out slightly as you keep constant and firm pressure while inserting the Wx-tech deflector to finish the installation. Good luck and try to be patient. It works very well in the end.

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Congrats! :) For those who haven't done the installation I made some drawings here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...h-window-deflector-install-tips-diagrams.html

Good luck! :)