1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side Window Visors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by seasalsa, Mar 31, 2004.

1. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've used side window visors on various cars over the years and, although I like them, I haven't been too happy with the ones that mount with 3M tape. After a couple of years they started coming off. Very hard to get the old tape/residue off cleanly if you decide to bag them.

I highly recommend the Weatherflector brand, which it are available for the Prius...I haven't bought them yet for my Prius, but had them on my last car (an SUV) and they were bulletproof. They mount inside of the window frame and are held in only by the tension...no tape to deal with.

www.weathertech.com carries them. $90 for all 4, $50 for fronts only. They even have a streaming video on the site that shows how they go on. It took me about ten minutes (9 minutes to figure out the first one, and 1 minute for the next!) to do a set (front windows only).

I do plan on buying these one of these days soon, and will then post on my experience with them on a Prius.

rpm

2. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I ordered mine from carsontoyota.com. They import from Japan. Mine should be here early next week. I will let you know how it all goes!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmacsva\";p=\"23701)</div>

3. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    MORE INFO:

Things have changed. Try
    www.newtoyotaparts.com. Here are the specs for my order:

Here are the details of your order at the Ultimate Toyota Parts Store!

Order N : 1420

Product: "Toyota Japan Prius Side Visor"

Product Category: "Aerodynamics/Exterior".

Product Manufacturer: is "Toyota Japan".

Price: $ 139.00

Description: For your Prius, genuine Toyota product,perfect fit and finish Set of (4)

Quantity: 1

(They were supposed to have been back ordered for 4 weeks but I am getting them much sooner than that).

The web site does not say if they stick on with tape or not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catsbox\";p=\"91041)</div>
    [/b][/quote]

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thisng really have changed, I bought mine from Steve at [email protected] for around $65 US. They have been on for over 18 months and no problems with the 3M tape.

5. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My visors ordered from www.newtoyotaparts.com (via Japan) arrived. They were well packaged in bubble wrap and arrived in perfect condition. They mount only with clips and adhesive strips (already attached), no activator fluid that I can see. Only problem is, the installation instructions are in Japanese! I have asked for a translated version via email. I will post them if and when I receive them.
    ---------
    MORE INFO:

Things have changed. Try
    www.newtoyotaparts.com. Here are the specs for my order:

Here are the details of your order at the Ultimate Toyota Parts Store!

Order N : 1420

Product: "Toyota Japan Prius Side Visor"

Product Category: "Aerodynamics/Exterior".

Product Manufacturer: is "Toyota Japan".

Price: $ 139.00

Description: For your Prius, genuine Toyota product,perfect fit and finish Set of (4)

Quantity: 1

(They were supposed to have been back ordered for 4 weeks but I am getting them much sooner than that).

The web site does not say if they stick on with tape or not.

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks much Seasalsa. Unfortunately, my clips are different than shown in the instructions at Toyota Depot. I think they might help steer me in the right direction though.

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Side Window Visors-Installation Figured Out

Thanks Seasalsa. I had already reviewed those instructions.
    I figured out the installation. For anyone ordering from newtoyotaparts.com or carsontoyota.com, here is how the visors install.

There is double sided 3M tape already mounted to the visor, with peel off strips. The clips come in three parts, the clip, a post and a rubber cap. Each visor has holes in it to receive the clip post. Hold the clip to the back side of the visor, centering the oval opening over the hole in the visor. Insert the post through the hole in the visor, front to back. The post should also go through the oval area in the clip. Do not push the post all the way through. If you do, the sides will expand and the post end won't fit inside the rubber cap. Once side of the rubber cap has a hole with which to receive the post. Center the hole in the rubber cap over the part of the post coming through the oval area of the clip on the back side of the visor. Push the post the rest of the way through so that the rubber cap receives the post. The post is similar to a wall anchor, in that plastic projections will expand and engage into the rubber cap, anchoring the clip in place. The clips will still rotate freely, allowing you flexibility for installation. I suggest you practice with clip placement and how they attach to the window frame before finishing installing the clips, just to make sure you don't get the clips on backwards. Next, figure out which visor goes where (the diagrams explain that fairly well). Roll down the windows all the way so that you can access the front lower portion of the upper window frame on each door. Remove the peel off strips off the adhesive tape. Position the visors so that the clips engage under the front lower edge of the upper window frame, and also so they are positioned properly horizontally. Then simply press the visors into place. The adhesive mounts the visor to the door frame. I found I needed to carefully peel the visor off and reposition it so that I could get the clips to engage. The instructional diagrams for the clips look different than what is shown in the parts diagrams, making it all a bit confusing. Overall, the install was very easy and the visors looks very nice. The visors do not project out very far at all so should not impact aerodynamics or mpgs very much.

10. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Catsbox,
    Your timing is great. I just received my visors from CarsonToyota.com. Since the instructions were in japanese, I was going to post a request for installation tips.

Your post answered my questions before I even asked it.

Thanks!!

11. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Glad to be of help, Rick. By the way, the clips really should clip over the top of the door frame (just pull the rubber away, clip on then put the rubber back). This is per the parts department at Carson. However, the rep did admit he has never installed them on a Prius, just a Scion. That was the way I first tried to install them and they would not fit. The rep also said that the clips are not really necessary, just the 3M tape is sufficient to hold the visors on. Good luck.

12. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Catsbox,
    I did it! Thanks to you the "installation" was a breeze. It took about 20 mintutes and they look great. If I ever learn how, I will post pictures someday.

Rick

13. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Did you try the install clipping over the top of the door frame? I was just curious to find out if you had the same experience I did, that it would not fit that way.

14. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Catsbox,
    The clips fit just under the top black window frame(the part that the adhesive sticks to). They slid under the rubber seal on the under and outside of the black window fram. They fit perfectly. They even slid back and forth a little bit and this made the installation a bit easier.