1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sigh, TPMS...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ashlem, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, looking back on this thread, it's amazing all the hoops I had to go through just to get the TPMS to work on the Prius.

When I got a 2014 Chevy Volt (and later a 2017), the local Chevy dealer swapped my winter tires for me, and even calibrated the TPMS (bought and installed from Tirerack) for the winter tire set and vice versa for $20, or $10 if I remembered to print their coupon. Only took them around 45 minutes and came with a free car wash too, so I'd rather let them do it than change them myself. And if their charging station spot wasn't being occupied by a gas car, they'd plug it in for me too, even though I didn't really need it since they're only about a mile from my house.

Again, you'd think that they would've had one set standard for TPMS so that they all worked the same, and preferably something that was fairly cheap. Sort of like how USB devices all pretty much perform the same function no matter what device you have plugged into it. Instead, it seems to just add another layer of unnecessary complexity and expense.

Mendel Leisk and Salamander_King like this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking Volt has the passive system, maybe they changed after 2012?

3. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, both my 2014 and 17 Volts show the individual pressures in each tire. Not sure about the earlier models, but I'd imagine they were the same.

I probably would've paid the cost in the Prius if the Gen 3 displayed each tire pressure instead of being just the idiot light. At least I could glean some useful data from it then.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even Cruze shows pressure/temp in each tire. If they got the data, might as well let it be seen.

#44 wjtracy, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  5. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, the Prius is not entirely a "Perfect/Romance" ......but it does come close ....(y)

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't know other cars with TPMS can display individual tire pressure. Our three cars with TPMS so far Toyota Sienna, Honda Civic, and Toyota Prius all have the "idiot light". When the light comes on, unless it is totally flat, I still have to check each tire with gauge. Are all the Japanese car with TPMS like that, I wonder???

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...someone advised me Highlander and maybe other Toyota models do show it. But I think yes as an American mandate, perhaps Toyota is slow to embrace.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd much prefer Toyota to embrace making the damn system easily owner configurable, with clonable sensors available. As far as individual readings: if you get the light, it takes all of 2 minutes to go around with a gauge.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or use a self-learning TPMS system, as many American-label cars use.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I think newer model Toyotas also display the individual tire pressures now. I remember a coworker had a 2015 Camry, and recall seeing the tire pressures. And I vaguely recall seeing this in a Gen 4 Prius I test drove about a year ago.

My guess is the idiot light was to save on costs. But in this day and age of cars displaying a lot of data, they probably felt it was appropriate to include individual TPMS data available to the driver.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it was a choice between displaying individual, and coming up with self-learning TPMS system (as @fuzzy1 mentioned), I would much prefer the effort went into the latter. It's trivial to check which tire is causing the low pressure warning, but absurdly maddening, the current "snow tire situation".

Ashlem likes this.
  12. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My solution - use an all weather tire that is as good as most snow tires in bad weather, Nokian WRg3. No need to change tires for each season. Did I mention that they are low rolling resistance as well.

JeffD

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They're in-between, a big improvement from all-seasons, but still a compromise. Time before last when I needed snow tires, everybody was sold out, due to new regulations in Quebec mandating snow tires. So I got WRG2 (their precedessor, look more like their current Nordman WR tire).

Are all-weather tires a good compromise? - The Globe and Mail

14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How was fuel economy on Nokian WRg3? I drove my 2015 Prius with EP20 for two winters. I put Xice3 this winter for original EP20 was getting very low on tread. Even though we live in norther NE, they do very good job on plowing roads. For normal commuting I use my car, I would say I only have 3-4 days I really need winter tires on my car. Since my wife drives the car sometimes, i felt more at ease by having dedicated winter tires on this car, but I will consider using All-Season tires year around if I am the only one driving it.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  16. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have MPG data on using several tire models on my 2004 Prius. It came with Goodyear "Integrity" tires (very poor traction and handling) from Toyota. After 50k miles (yes they lasted that long due to raising the psi to 42/40), I installed Michelin MVX4 "Energy+" tires. These wer much better tires, Matched the Integrity tires in warm weather MPG and beat them by over 2% in cold weather for the next 55k miles. My next set were Nokian WR tires which matched the Michelin's in handling, had much better traction in all weather conditions and beat the OE tires by about 5% for the next 55k miles. My next two sets (over 100k miles) were the newer Nokian WRg2's which matched the older WRs in MPG, traction, and handling but generated a bit less noise at highway speed.

I blew out a sidewall in one of the Toyo Energies (bad pothole at speed) on my 2016 Prius 3 as bad weather was approaching last Fall, so I replaced both front tires with the newer Nokian WRg3 model tires (if anyone needs an almost new Toyo, let me know). I have insufficient data to fully analyze the impact on MPG but it does not appear significant (The Toyo's are highly rated as LRR tires), but I would not have survived driving min some of our late winter snows here in the NE with the Toyos. The Nokians managed the snow/ice quite well for me. I will rotate the tires later this spring to get the Toyos to the front and get some use out of them. I expect to buy two more WRg3's and retire the Toyo's by the Fall after next.

JeffD

17. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Note that Techstream can read the individual tire pressures. The data gets as far as the TPMS computer - it just isn't displayed.

I saw a Lexus outside Costco that was equipped with "location specific TPMS". do not know any more, but it could be as simple as displaying the numbers that are already available.

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I will keep eyes on WRg3 bargain. I was considering hakkapeliitta for dedicated winter tires, but found far better deal on Xice3 and got them on my Prius this winter at a local tire shop,. I also just purchased set of Conti Turecontact tires on sale, so I will put them next week However, I sure like the idea of not changing tires at all so I don't have to worry about this TPMS things.

Are there any other "All Weather" tires available in the US other than Nokian?