1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

*sigh* Why do people by crappy tools?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kornkob, Jan 30, 2012.

1. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Office manager brought tools in to change the battery in the company Prius. Silly gadgety 'ratchet' shaped like a screwdriver with an articulated head with a strange assortment of attachments. The thing disintegrated on the first bolt. Fortunately I suspected as much and thereby avoided bitching up my hand in the process.

Buying decent basic tools isn't very expensive and you're far less likely to hurt yourself or damage your project if you use well constructed tools. Those cheap sets with 40 different attachments and 'bonus tools' included all in a neat plastic display case are typically useful for holding open a door, so long as the door isn't very heavy and there's no breeze.

When I finally ascend to my proper place as Evil Overlord of the Universe, persons who sell cheaply made, crapily constructed tools will be placed in a cage with a malfunctioning gate actuator, the parts required to fix it and a set of the tools they sold. If they want to leave, they'll fix the gate. The public will be encouraged to throw rotten fruit at them in the mean time.

2. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why do people by crappy tools?
    To fix their breaks.

5 people like this.
  3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly after years of working as a Professional Engineer, I have found the people that can do, buy, and use the best! Those who don't have a clue, buy their tools at Pic 'n Save! Another great outlet is the 99 cnt store.

I have been known to promptly throw a crappy tool in the trash, then try to teach the person who gave me the crappy tool, the differance between the crap and good tool!

It gets embarassing to return tools that self destructed to the stockroom, and telling them, buy better! Sure it costs more, that's why they do not break!

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the idea that those that "can do" usually buy the best quality tools. Because their skills naturally lead to them valuing the quality of the tools they are using.

But I see it as almost a Darwinistic action of protection that those that aren't as skilled buy the cheaper tools. First of all? They aren't by definition going to be using them as much...or almost at all. If they do find themselves attempting a project? It's probably going to end up better IF the tool doesn't work and/or disintegrates. Forces them to seek help.

I embarassingly would admit to owning a lot of "cheaper" tools. But I know my limits as a handy man as well as the limits of those same said tools. Having competent, quality tools might encourage me to try doing something I should NEVER do...I'm counting on the crappiness to save me from myself.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "I agree with the idea that those that "can do" usually buy the best quality tools. Because their skills naturally lead to them valuing the quality of the tools they are using.

But I see it as almost a Darwinistic action of protection that those that aren't as skilled buy the cheaper tools. First of all? They aren't by definition going to be using them as much...or almost at all. If they do find themselves attempting a project? It's probably going to end up better IF the tool doesn't work and/or disintegrates. Forces them to seek help."

That about hits the thumb, I mean nail on the head.

6. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm not suggesting that people run out and outfit themselves with a garage full of Snap-On tools. My tools wouldn't pass that test.

No--- it's the 'grocery store' variety of 'tool kits' that drive me nuts. In particular the gadgety ones that try and make themselves seem more easy to use by 'improving' tried and true designs.

That and cheap Chinese crap that isn't constructed to reasonable tolerances. A 12mm socket should fit snugly on a 12mm bolt.

1 person likes this.
  7. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

But wait, if you order in the next 30 min.................;)

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd love the "Magic" socket wrench I have, that has "Instantly adjusts to any size socket!".

The 3 times in 9 years I've used it? It's actually worked. But is it a piece of crap? Certainly.

9. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love a set of snap-on tools, but since I'm not the most handy, to spend $25 on a single screwdriver seems pointless to me.

10. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    There are decent tools in the space between Snap-On/Mac and the cheap pot metal crap they sell for less than a dollar.

11. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah craftsmen but it ain't cheap either!

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You can't appreciate "why" until you walk in another's shoes. Some can only afford to buy at garage sales & salvation army. It's not just tools ... it's every thing you need ... and it's how ever much you can afford.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can get an EXCELLENT set of really good Craftsman sockets and ratchets for $70 ~ $100, and they'll last you ten years, and if any of them break, you can bring them to any Sears store for a no-questions-asked, no paperwork return.

If you really want to save, buy your tools from Sears on Black Friday. They always have excellent deals. I still have perfectly good, twenty year-old Craftsman tools. They rock.

14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes wait for the sales. I have lots of Craftsman Hand and Power tools, they ain't cheap, but they will last. They make good starter sets, the trick is to get them gifted to you, or wait for a super sale. That's the time to score.
    Every year at Christmas, then the Winter Craftsman Tool Catalog comes out, I just circle what I need, and the elf like wife tells Santa, and surprise, there they are under the tree on the 25th! :D

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Craftsman hand tools are pretty good. Craftsman power tools are only average. Some of their bench tools are fairly good, but many of their hand power tools are cheaply made. I own several, but they can't compare to the better companies.

We build wooden boats, so our standards may be a tad higher than your typical homeowner.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  16. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Craftsman even has a 'homeowners' line of tools now that doesn't come with their lifetime warranty but are well made and fairly inexpensive (base level set of tools for sub $40 with a toolbox, more complete set for $65).

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been buying Craftsman hand tools since ~1976, and have never had to replace tools due to them wearing out or breaking. They work well for me.

As to why people buy crappy tools, they either don't know better or can't afford better. However, if you ever get hurt due to a tool breaking, you'll quickly learn that you need better tools to work with.

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1 About the same as Patrick. I took my first 3/8" socket wrench back to Sears recently and had it replaced after the gears stripped. No questions asked.

My wife and I bought an inexpensive tool kit for all 4 of our kids when they first left home, 2 boys and 2 girls. This was all they needed for handy work around apartments, etc.

Now that the boys are married and working, they are beginning to accumulate their own "good tools". I have always preached to them that good tools are not that expensive, especially if bought one at a time.

Hopefully they will heed my advice and quit borrowing mine and not returning :)

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree about Craftsman hand tools. They are reasonably good.

Craftsman power tools, on the other hand, are not the best. They are fairly sturdy and will generally do the job, but they lack refinement. In particular, the adjusting mechanisms tend to be primitive. Compared to high end power tools, with Craftsman tools it's hard to set depths, angles, and such. With only occasional use this might not be a problem, but it becomes a major irritation with frequent use. I expect better from my tools.

Tom

20. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When it comes to major tools you plug in, and are mounted to the floor in your workshop, Delta rocks...their Table saw, and Band saw, are some of the best power tools I have ever used.