1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Significant Avalon advances

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jan 17, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: TNGA-based 2019 Toyota Avalon features new hybrid system - Green Car Congress

Avalon Hybrid. A new TNGA 2.5-liter four-cylinder Dynamic Force Engine is more fuel efficient, runs cleaner, and is more powerful than previous iterations, and features enhanced thermal management. Technologies required include: Dual VVT-i with VVT-iE (Variable Valve Timing intelligent system by Electric motor); D-4S (Direct injection 4-stroke gasoline engine Superior version) direct injection and laser-clad valve seats; longer stroke (4.07 inches; bore remains at 3.44 inches) and high compression ratio (14:1); multi-hole direct fuel injectors; a variable cooling system; cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system; and a full variable oil pump.

Instead of oil pressure, its Dual VVT-i with VVT-iE variable valve system employs an electric motor to control variable valve timing, which aids fuel efficiency and promotes cleaner exhaust emissions (this is especially helpful in cold climates). The D-4S direct injection combines higher-pressure direct fuel injection (DI) and lower-pressure port fuel injection (PFI), and applies each method of injection based on specific driving parameters. Furthering fuel efficiency are new multi-hole nozzle direct injectors (six holes per injector).

The four-cylinder Dynamic Force Engine is married to an all-new Toyota Hybrid System II powertrain that’s been engineered to inspire both spirited driving and fuel consciousness. THS II uses two electric motors—MG1 and MG2—to supplement the charging of the hybrid system’s Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) battery pack, while MG2 assists the engine.

Bigger and more comfortable suspension too.

Bob Wilson

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is there any actual differences in the hybrid drive train between the Camry and Avalon?

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The article doesn't mention the Camry so I don't know.

Bob Wilson

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds like the same hybrid system(the engine is the same) as in the Camry, so it is more new to the Avalon.
    With the growth spurt, it will face competition from the Accord.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine as described sounds exactly like the camry engine ;-) well except for one big quibble, it has a little wrong information.

Battery, motors, controller, psd - who knows, my guess is they are the same. If I were designing it for avalon, rav4, and lexus es duty I'd keep the psd and mg1 the same but I might use a slightly more powerful lithium battery and mg2 as these are heavier vehicles and better accelerator response might be worth it.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  6. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Safe bet. Not sure if it's just my imagination or what but I feel like the Avalon and ES are exclusively made for people over the age of 60.

It's a shame too because the ES was my dream car back in like 1995. But I haven't been a fan of it since the switch to Avalon platform in 2012, maybe even before then. Something about the newer ones feels "off" but I can't put my finger on it.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Hey, us old guys buy cars and help keep the company healthy. My wife has a '11 Avalon and loves it. It was the car with the most US content when we bought it. 84%. I like it except for its MPG and it had a little too much HP (gasp).

LasVegasaurusRex and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    avalon hybrid is a pretty sweet cruiser, and you can get a senior citizen discount.:cool:

9. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sooo, Avalons attract all the hot chicks . . .;)

!!!a027d401111.jpg

#9 Mark57, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    LasVegasaurusRex and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wrong weed.

Bob Wilson